Lingo Glossary?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Lingo Glossary?

Postby harkerj » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:46 am

If this already exists somehwere, my apologies. But I've recently started playing with a bunch of guys from a local club, and they're always using "technical jargon" that I don't fully understand, and further it seems that different guys use the same term to mean different things. I do not want to admit my noobness in person and actually ask them what the hell they are talking about, but I'm happy to admit my noobness in the relative anonymity of cyber-space.My searches through several threads here and on other DG sites have not been helpful in clearing up my confusion. Here are some terms I hear (often yelled at discs while they are in flight, sometimes discussed pre- or post-throw):

(All directions relative to RHBH)

"Flex!" - seems to be yelled at a disc that is either going straight or turning right, but the thrower wants it to turn or fade left.

"Hook up!" - same as above

"Turn over!" - seems to be yelled at a disc that is going straight or turning left, but the thrower wants it to turn right

"Flip!" - same as above

"Flippy" - describes a disc that is easy to "turn over"

"Hyzer flip" - I'm most confused about this one. Sometimes used to describe the flight of a disc that comes out of the thrower's hand on a hyzer angle, but then "flips up" to level flight and flies straight. Others have used it to apparently describe the flight of a disc that starts out level but then drops into a hyzer angle, which I'm pretty sure is incorrect use of the term. Others seem to use it to refer to a flight that starts out straight but then turns right. Which, if any, of these is correct?
harkerj
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Monarch

Re: Lingo Glossary?

Postby himynameismatt » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:47 am

harkerj wrote:
"Flex!" - seems to be yelled at a disc that is either going straight or turning right, but the thrower wants it to turn or fade left.

"Hook up!" - same as above

"Turn over!" - seems to be yelled at a disc that is going straight or turning left, but the thrower wants it to turn right

"Flip!" - same as above

"Flippy" - describes a disc that is easy to "turn over"

"Hyzer flip" - I'm most confused about this one. Sometimes used to describe the flight of a disc that comes out of the thrower's hand on a hyzer angle, but then "flips up" to level flight and flies straight. Others have used it to apparently describe the flight of a disc that starts out level but then drops into a hyzer angle, which I'm pretty sure is incorrect use of the term. Others seem to use it to refer to a flight that starts out straight but then turns right. Which, if any, of these is correct?

A flex shot is a "S" curve forced by throwing a stable disc on an anny, I usually will say "flex!" on a shot I accidentally torque over and I need to come out of the unintentional turn. "Turn Over!" is kind of the opposite of this you seem to have most the other down.

Hyzer-Flip and "Flip!" are the same to me. I'll tell my disc to "flip!" when I'm throwing a stable/understable disc with hyzer for a hyzer flip(A shot with hyzer I want to pop flat and fly straight) and it doesn't quite get flat as fast as I want it to.

I'll call for a disc to "Hook up" when it's a really wide swoopy flight path. Either an unintentional "S" curve, Hyzer Flip that "falls off the table" aka looks like its going to ride flat but turns over, or even big swoopy flex shots. Basically I'll use it for shots that look good but never quite "hook up" and fly as straight as I need the to.

Edit:

I'm always saying something along the lines of those phrases during my shots but it's important to remember don't be the guy yelling at your disc when it's halfway down the fairway, I play with a couple of those guys a few times a week. :oops:
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby JHern » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:46 pm

Stancil Johnson (PDGA #9) is writing an updated version of his disc encyclopedia. Several people (including myself) are going to be helping him with the effort of finishing it up (a huge amount of work). When it is finally published, it will have everything...in fact, there are so many fun terms I never heard before, I enjoy just browsing through it all, it is really a fun read.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby keltik » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:26 pm

JHern, do you have a link to said lexicon?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JHern » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:33 pm

keltik wrote:JHern, do you have a link to said lexicon?

No, I have a 7 inch thick binder of the paper draft (about 12 lbs)...and I still need to add an appendix.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Return to Technique