Drives go anney

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Drives go anney

Postby JR » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Welcome.

There are different correct answers to that question. First of all discs of the same mold, plastic and weight vary in flight from each other. Then there is the matter does it flip for you and doesn't a disc flip for someone else and what explains the differences. You need discs that both flip and don't. What you need the information about a certain disc generally not flipping for is to determine if there are problems in your form. Once you know for sure that you have a problem somewhere you can start to hunt what it is. And when you identify the problem finding the cure may be as simple as asking for advice here. So which discs do you flip and suspect that they shouldn't?

If you asked about which discs you need to hyzer flip you can find out by going to a field to throw them at different power levels flat and observing the flight. Your power also means a lot so how far do you throw on a low line drive and at which altitude you are?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby snowslydder » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:20 am

If I throw it without nosing the disc up I can be anywhere from 250-300. I am also throwing at sea level. I am not consistent at it yet though I just started a month ago. Is there a good reference of what discs I can flip and not flip?
Star Archon, Star Katana, Star Wriath, Star Valkyrie, Star TL, Roc Pro, Dart Pro
snowslydder
Noob

Favorite Disc: archon st

Postby JR » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:55 am

At one month of experience i wouldn't worry much if discs flip. There are hog stable discs that need violent form errors to make them flip. Like Banshee, Spirit, XXX, Force and many of speed 11+ discs made before last year. Only in the last year did the manufacturers start to make flippy high speed drivers. A disc needs to be pretty darn understable to flip a lot for 300' thrower with a clean release which is a drag to get. Excuse my pun because dragging the bottom of the disc on the fingers will flip the disc. Pinching too hard with any finger can easily make an otherwise perfect throw flip a mid.

One can't say with absolute certainty that there is one specific mold that will never flip or will always flip at your power. However; the chances of not flipping a good Roc and Teebird are fairly high. Flipping a new Z Predator tells that you have catastrophic error somewhere or multiple form errors. Now there are very understable easy to flip fast discs for 400' throwers. Those are a bit of a mystery to me because i don't throw those discs with that little power. I did try a flat Tournament Plastic King from Westside Discs at around your power last fall and it did flip. It is unusable at my full power. Bolt and flat low PLH Nukes all are fast, glide well and dump fade hard going far even at your power. More power than that and those discs will get very difficult to put on any line consistently. Spike out of putters should flip well and it is so long and has low enough power requirement that you should be able to flip it consistently.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Technique