Learning to rethrow (after 12 years)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Learning to rethrow (after 12 years)

Postby CreemCheese » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:23 pm

I've combined a few posts from other topics and forums, but here goes...

I watched beto's pec drill a few more times, and read blake t's secret technique/hammer drill thread on, trying to get a real feel for the hit. Putting these 2 together while playing tonight, it didn't seem to add any distance, but didn't take it away either. When everything was right, they flew smoother with much less effort, no soreness or fatigue. I was primarily throwing a Discraft Nebula (08 ace race disc) (it's bright orange, and the course isn't very maintained, plus it was getting darker) only the slightest high speed turn, then finishing pretty much straight.

I tried this again for 8 holes tonight, not comfortable with water so close to the one hole). Still using the Nebula, I was starting to get a more consistent release point, still right around 200' so I'm obviously not doing something right. It was about a 50/50 mix of when they were smooth and when I was strong arming. The strong arms always went farther, but figure that's just since I'm so new to this style.

I'm wanting to stick with a mid to point out form flaws, but thinking about using something different from the Nebula since they don't make it anymore. I have discraft: meteor, nebular, impact, all esp and 174 fairly new, a z wasp 174 moderately warn, a esp buzz 177 brand new, and a 173 d stratus that has endured more than any disc should. Innova dx goblin 175 new, champ shark I think max weight, but can't read it anymore, and beat to hxll and back. I have a d challenger 174 kind of warn and a gateway wizard 175 beat almost as bad as the shark. I can never find a comfortable grip to drive putters though.

What I'm really concerned with is I had some pain in my shoulder, mostly gone now. Kind of upper pec area, when you extend your arm similar to a follow through, the pain is concentrated right at the bottom of the clavicle. I think this is the rotator cuff, but not sure. I used to get this same kind of pain when I was trying to hard and played too many holes. I'm not sure if I should be worried, or just assume it's from not throwing for so long.
Updated whenever something happens to me: [url]discsandtrikes.blogspot.com[/url]
Find out what you cannot do and go out and do it.
CreemCheese
Noob

Re: Learning to rethrow (after 12 years)

Postby JR » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:45 am

Rotator cuff is a usual stressed part of all disc throwers. The older you are the worse it can get especially when you start from scratch. At your age and being new again to the sport (it's evolved into one instead of an activity) you should make sure to warm up and stretch thoroughly before each session. You can work the rotator cuff using your towel and holding it with both hands at varying widths flailing the arms about every which way. If you put the hands close to each other and manage to bring the arms from front to back with arms straight you should get a good stretch. You shouldn't make the towel stretching at high speeds. You could tear something.

I video would help us see what you could improve on and how to train.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby CreemCheese » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks for the towel stretch idea, I've tried just stretching it out without resistance, but doesn't usually seem to help much.

I'm trying to figure out how to get a video. All I have is my android phone, usually go to the field by myself.
Updated whenever something happens to me: [url]discsandtrikes.blogspot.com[/url]
Find out what you cannot do and go out and do it.
CreemCheese
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:29 pm

You could put the phone on the bag aimed at the tee pad. Usually it is easiest to see the form from the side of the tee facing the chest. And the whole run up to follow through.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique