Driving problems

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Driving problems

Postby amateur23 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:33 pm

I am new to this forum and new to disc golf as well. I play with a beast for a driver and a coyote for mid-range. I do well with mid-range and putting but am having issues with driving. I have practiced and watched a lot of videos on technique yet when i go out with friends i consistently have the same problem. I drive RHBH and without fail i always fade to the left very severly and lose a lot of distance because of it. I also do not have as much power as my friends. I got the beast as a driver at a friends recommendation, but i do not know if is the disc for my style. I have tried anhyzering for compensation but it does not help much. I am looking to try another driver. Should I use a higher speed disc so i can get more distance or should i try something like the sidewinder so i can hyzer flip the disc? sorry if this is posted elsewhere but i could not find a post addressing this. any suggestions for discs or corrections? Thank you for your help
amateur23
Noob

Re: Driving problems

Postby JR » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:57 pm

Welcome. How far do you throw the Coyote and the Beast? Those are my fave discs although the Coyote can't handle much wind at all. It may be that you throw too slowly for the Beast and having been designed to fly at great speed it starts the fade so early that it hits the ground early slashing distance. If that is the case you should get a slower driver possibly even lighter and a one that fades less. Leopard is the usual suspect. Sidewinder could work and Blizzzard Beast at a lower weight has been promised to appear this season. You can get lighter discs to a higher speed possibly making them usable for you. Faster discs create inconsistencies and even the flippy ones may not always outdistance the Beast for those that lack power. I don't know if that is your case not knowing your distance.

Does your Beast leave flat or hyzered? Rolling the wrist counter clockwise will drop the disc early. Do you run from back left to front right of the tee and/or plant the final step of the throw to the right of the line you run on? That may tilt you hyzer.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby amateur23 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:17 am

JR wrote: It may be that you throw too slowly for the Beast and having been designed to fly at great speed it starts the fade so early that it hits the ground early slashing distance.

This is precisely what happens every time just to varying degrees. I love the sport and want to get better. I can throw my coyote about as far as my driver and to me that says something is wrong. Somewhere around 180 to 200 feet it fades hard left, very hard left. I know i lose a lot of distance because of how strong it fades. I usually can match my drives with my coyote. I have been making sure that i do throw the disc flat. I have even thrown it anhyzer to try to compensate for my strong fade but it does not help.

JR wrote:Do you run from back left to front right of the tee and/or plant the final step of the throw to the right of the line you run on? That may tilt you hyzer.

In regards to the above quote I do run slightly from back left to front right, but more from back left towards front right slightly then diagonally. I also do plant my foot to the right of the line i run on. could that be my issue?
amateur23
Noob

Postby emiller3 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:37 am

The Beast is probably too fast. You can do what JR said and try something less stable or slower to see if you can get a full flight out of it. That will give you a little bump D as the disc fades forward instead of left.

If you want to improve your technique so that you can throw that Beast a lot farther, then you'd be best off posting a video of your form to get advice.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:40 pm

Putters can be thrown farther without a lot of power with good form so the Beast is too much for that distance and the Coyote is ok because it glides well and fades little. If you don't want to practice with a putter the Coyote will do. I wouldn't even use a Leopard at that distance. Do you turn away from the target back and heels pointing at the target in the reach back? Do you keep you arm muscles loose and not yank fully with the arm as the final step lands on the ground? Only later.

I would run in a straight line planting each step on the center line of the tee. Running like you do probably tilts you and that does not help throwing flat. Because the Beast needs more speed having it start hyzered will drop it even faster. You can delay that by throwing anhyzer running from the right rear of the tee to the center or even left. And having the outside edge of the disc be higher than the one facing you.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby amateur23 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:25 pm

On my lunch break I just went out and did what i normally would do when driving so I could explain my style. I usually start in the back left corner of the tee with my toes pointed a little less than 180 degrees from the basket and i begin with one lead step then x step slightly towards the front right so that my final plant is a little right of the line i am on. I reach back pull into my chest till my wrist starts to curl slightly then extend. i did realize that i do slightly rotate my wrist counterclockwise but not much. that is my style. i will try to post a video next monday or tuesday (will be gone all weekend) and see if you guys can see if i am doing something wrong. if i go from back right to the front left will that reduce my harsh fade and therein my lack of distance. I will also try some of the suggested discs if i can get my hands on em.
amateur23
Noob

Postby amateur23 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks again so far to everyone. I really appreciate all the input.
amateur23
Noob

Postby amateur23 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:53 pm

and if i were to try a leopard or a sidewinder what weight would you suggest?
amateur23
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:16 am

You should gain 10-20' easily with the Beast by tilting it clockwise and running from rear right to front left. At your power a Leopard should be sufficient and perhaps 166-170 range. The form is where the distance lies. Better form creates more speed which makes faster discs like the Beast usable and that will gain distance from the disc itself too. The first test should be seeing what the Beast does with a flat release running so that each step hits the center line of the tee and the follow through step does the same. Many people lose a lot of power not following through far enough with the legs and the arm.

I will be time constrained the next week coming back to Finland on Wednesday and staffing and competing from Thursday onward in the Finnish leg of the Eurotour. Tali Open is the largest international event in Finland this year and i'm a member in the organizing club so i have other DG duties than following forums for a while. I'll get back to the video when i can. There are plenty of other knowledgeable guys here to help you.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby amateur23 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:11 am

Thanks. I will give all these suggestions a shot and make a video and post it.
amateur23
Noob

Return to Technique