Trouble getting a correct disc pivot.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Trouble getting a correct disc pivot.

Postby zpitman135 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:01 pm

for the last month or so i have had trouble getting the disc to come out of my hand correctly. Before i did have problems with a middle finger rip, but most of the time the disc came out correctly. Now i can no longer get the disc to pivot at all. It always slips out of all four fingers and i have lost all accuracy. Any ideas what is causing this?
zpitman135
Noob

Favorite Disc: Supersoft Wizard

Re: Trouble getting a correct disc pivot.

Postby JR » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:00 am

Do you start with a limp grip and miss tightening the pinch? Have you changed form or added power to make everything happen faster so that the pinch comes late? You could try the Jenkins grip to see if the slips end. Also moving the thumb toward the center of the disc in quarter inch increments can help if the thumb is slipping. You could also start the whole throw with moderate pinch with the index finger.

Are you tired or sore in the arm or the hand? It could be subconscious relieving of stress that opens up the hand despite the conscious effort of pinching.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Trouble getting a correct disc pivot.

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:50 pm

The disc slips out because its center of gravity is moving at a different speed or in a different direction than your hand.

Theres a handful of reasons that could be the cause. Most common are probably:
Pulling too far from the body.
Trying to accelerate the arm too quickly or abruptly. This is the equivalent to "leaving your stomach at the top" on a roller coaster.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique