Elbow and arm motion in the backhand drive

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Elbow and arm motion in the backhand drive

Postby Beast156g » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:40 pm

I'm still having trouble with my drives after almost 2 years of playing frequently. I've got a question about how to use my arm muscles in the throw. I've read Blake say that leading with your elbow is a good thing, so to elaborate on that some I was wondering if you should... Start your hip explosion, begin your shoulder rotation, and then act like you are going to elbow someone directly behind you, letting lower arm stay lose and whip through on it's own. This seems right, and I think it's not what I have been doing lately. Possbily the big reason I have lost a lot of distance on my drives. Unfortunatly weather isn't letting me get out to practice right now so I'm asking here to see if this sounds right. Thanks.
Beast156g
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:40 am

hrm, this is a difficult one to explain.

ideally, the forearm should act more as a guide during the first 2/3 of the pull and then pull through the finish strong during the latter part of the throw.

the elbow lead is more like you are pulling your elbow forwards at the target. justin jernigan and walter haney are two good examples of this on my throwing videos.

elbow lead is not something i concentrate on too much. the main things are keeping the disc close to your body when it comes through and finishing strong with a complete rotation.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Beast156g » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:26 am

I'll use your video of Brad Hammock as an example... http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... mock.shtml

In frame 4 he has started his hip explosion and is just beginning to rotate the shoulders. His upper arm is still fully reached back. Now in the next frame he has rotated his throwing shoulder toward the target but the biggest change is his upper arm is now leading the shoulder. So what I'm trying to say is , during the first 2/3 of the pull where assuming a full reachback the forearm would be bending in towards the chest, just acting as a guide, you use the upper arm to yank the elbow like you were trying to put your elbow through a wall behind you? And this is what accellerates the lowerarm/hand and wrist through the change in direction from forward to sideways giving tons of acceleration and snap right?
Beast156g
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:19 am

Brad has good form/power. he can throw 450' at 5'2" and like 44 years old.

i don't like your description of "putting the elbow behind you." it's more like putting your elbow through a block of wood between you and the target.

the difference between leading with the elbow or not leading with the elbow, is that an elbow lead has no lag time between the start of the shoulders and the start of the arm. the upper arm starts moving WITH the shoulder.

the hips and obliques will still lead the throw.

forearm extension happens because you keep the disc close and because you continue rotating your upper body through the throw. keeping the disc close forces the elbow to bend. finishing the throw causes the hand to change direction from forward to upward/outward and that causes the rip out.

the real key is to be strong when you finish the throw. the more elbow extension you have, the more potential efficient snap you can have but snap itself is still a timing factor.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique