Heel Pivot and Weight Transfer

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Heel Pivot and Weight Transfer

Postby Blake_T » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:11 am

CSJ, it seems you got this digured out. This response isn't so much to you as it is to other potential readers.

In 19 out of 20 cases i am finding people are approaching these details without having the timing of the wrist and arm.

This year alone i worked with 4 players attempting to heel pivot and that majorly f'd up their throw. When i asked why they were trying to heel pivot, their response was "i read it somewhere on the internet."

The key to timing is that there are parts where the shoulder leads the elbow, and there are parts where the arm leads the shoulder.

If you treat the shoulder as leading the entire way it is impossible to get the elbow forward.

The heel pivot is a biproduct of a certain types of timing and strength and too often people tend to think of it as a cause instead of an effect.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby ajkuck » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:28 pm

I was wondering the same thing. I seem to rotate off my toe and was looking to switch to a heel pivot for more control and balance to improve my shot. Here is a video I posted the other day on YouTube, if I could get some advice back, that would be awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ueFST7 ... e=youtu.be
ajkuck
Noob

Favorite Disc: Sidewinder

Postby pask2155 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:44 pm

I would work on your one step throw. So I would say stop doing what you are doing. Stand still both legs together 180 degrees from the target. Then take one step and land your plant foot 90 degrees away from the target and throw. You will feel your foot dig in, you hips twist and then your upper body will uncoil and you hold on tight until the hit. Then what's funny is you will notice after your fallow throw you twist on your heel. It is pretty much automatic.

One step throws force your timing and your hips and everything to work from the ground up.
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Previous

Return to Technique