How to throw max distance with boobs?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How to throw max distance with boobs?

Postby brittwink » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:40 pm

I know this is kind of niche, and most of you may not be able to help me, but I honestly need help. I'm trying to add more power to my drive, but my chest is getting in the way of being able to fully extend my arm to get maximum reach. I was wondering if there were any females (or males who just happen to know?) who could help me get around this problem. I haven't recorded my throwing, but I was just looking for suggestions. I've tried throwing both over and under, but it seems to mess with my nose angles.
brittwink
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis

Re: How to throw max distance with boobs?

Postby JR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:36 am

Hey i could qualify because in written form my name is a woman's name in English although in both written and spoken form it is a man's name in Finland :-) Only pecs and body fat not real man boobs here so only a part of my experience is helpful. You could ask Val Jenkins. She throws over and all the guys complain about shoulder high arm movement being so awkward and the arm muscles feeling tight and the arm movement slower as a result too.

It is true that relaxed muscles move faster than tight like weight lifting muscles. The answer is always the same stretching and repetition will make throwing at shoulder height elbow forward loose and easy to not even notice. Nose angle trouble is a separate issue that is common to everyone.

Wrist down orientation is easy to lose without a lot of pushing down of the wrist and that takes muscle power. The nasty thing about wrist bones is that if your wrist bends back the wrist snap moves the hand to neutral and approaching that the bones are in the way and will raise the hand and the nose of the disc more than the absolute minimum of clearing the bones is. The bones give momentum to the wrist rising angle that gets multiplied if you don't oppose it with forearm muscles.

Hyper spin snap form doesn't allow the wrist to bend back at all from neutral and snaps to the right of wrist neutral. That way you can avoid the wrist bones bumping up the hand problems but resisting the bending back of the wrist starting at the latest from the elbow chop does still requires a lot of muscle power. It might be difficult to feel the wrist bending back because i filmed a beefy dude bench pressing over 230 lbs at that time after injuries and more before that having his wrist bending back without his knowledge.

Have you tried the Jenkins grip where the base of the thumb doesn't touch the disc and the outermost section of the thumb pushes down on the disc in about 70 degree angle? If you move the index finger as far back as possible you can also push the front down either with the Jenkins or a thumb almost straight forward grip. If you raise the rear of the disc to the base of you thumb you can also push the nose down.

Under the boobs pulls close to the body might be impossible for large chested ladies. The lower the arm is the more the nose angles rear ugly head but a navel height pull is perfectly fine for throwing with the front and the rear of the disc being at the same height from the ground.

One matter in nose angles is weight shift and upright posture at the rip is good and if you manipulate the flight you can bend forward at the hips for even more nose down angle. Reach back height and rip height should be the same so no rising toward the end.

For a full reach back both heels, the back and the back of the head need to point at the target in the farthest point of the reach back. Sure you can turn the shoulder even more than 180 degrees away from the target for a rounding beginning to a throw for more power and even bigger chance of getting the chest in the way. And a higher chance of hitting yourself and other max power related accuracy and consistency woes. So i don't recommend it for anything else than trying to break distance records if you don't spin 360.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby brittwink » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:12 pm

I've watched a few vids of Valerie Jenkins, and we are kind of built similarly, so I think watching her closely might be the way to go. From what I can tell she kind of squats lower while pulling over the chest, which looks like it may balance out to a pretty nice height.
brittwink
Noob

Postby turso » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v-74M_LTpI

at least in that clip her pull line isn't what you'd call close to the chest.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Swedish style, leverage the shit out of that disc while swooping.

INB4 "TITSORGTFO".
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:48 pm

Paige:

Not everyone brings the disc close to the left side but some do. Standard Disc Golf Review advice is to bring the disc close to the right side because that bends the elbow the most for more stretching of the tendons that chop the elbow straight faster once that movement begins.

Bending of the knees is a must for the best possible power generation from the legs because then you can push the rear knee straight maximizing weight shift forward and the rotational speed of the body.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:13 pm

brittwink: you sort of have to commit to pulling above or below. i generally recommend below (easier to leverage grip as Jeronimo said), but i do know women that throw far pulling above.

the "right" choice between these two will vary based upon how you want your throw to develop.

pulling above = anhyzer power.

pulling below = hyzer power.

chances are one of these will be stronger than the other for you. if you go with anhyzer power you will be throwing more stable/overstable discs for straight drives. if you go with hyzer power you'll be throwing more understable discs for straight drives.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby JR » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Pulling below might be unpractical depending on your proportions so for a new female player i give the advice to err on the side of caution and pull above so that you don't hit your breasts with the arm. No point in risking breast cancer that can develop from a hit. Since you are not a new player my advice is to see what your risk is and try to guess your coordination limits. If you think you won't ever mess up and get better results throwing under go ahead. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a player that does not mess up. I have a hard time in believing in an error free player. Your flexibility matters too because you have a better chance of moving the arm freely beyond the breasts without hitting them the more limber your arm is so i'd stretch the arm in all directions and all the muscles in the shoulder, upper back and neck. For some safety margin and it is always good to warm up those anyway to avoid injuries and get more power with more consistency. The more age you gain the more you appreciate what stretching now that you're young and limber does for your well being and sports results. And you don't need to wait for the results they help you now already.

Don't underestimate how hard a throw can be. My worst accident was the result of flailing my off arm freely and it was in front of the disc when i pulled. Luckily the pull was short perhaps 5-7" before the Teerex hit above my wrist damaging the skin enough to allow blood to seep through it. I don't know if i caused vein trauma but i have had a vein break at work 3 times. That is the only place where i've had broken veins so they may be related. But i lift heavy objects at work and my throwing arm is stronger so it handles the work related stress better.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby brittwink » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Blake_T wrote:brittwink: you sort of have to commit to pulling above or below. i generally recommend below (easier to leverage grip as Jeronimo said), but i do know women that throw far pulling above.

the "right" choice between these two will vary based upon how you want your throw to develop.

pulling above = anhyzer power.

pulling below = hyzer power.

chances are one of these will be stronger than the other for you. if you go with anhyzer power you will be throwing more stable/overstable discs for straight drives. if you go with hyzer power you'll be throwing more understable discs for straight drives.

That's interesting, because I do generally throw above, and I'm having trouble with my understable discs, because when I rip, I always release with a slight anny and then my distance is screwed, as are my lines. It's definitely more uncomfortable throwing under, but I may try doing that in order to make my trusty understable discs work well for me
brittwink
Noob

Postby cubeofsoup » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:40 am

What about when you want to throw hyzer you throw below, anhyzer you throw above? Why limit yourself to just one pull height.

Blake or JR can advise if it is a bad idea to have this variability...opposed to just picking one style like Blake seemed to be suggesting
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby money 21 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:46 am

Sarah DeMarr from discraft might also be one to watch for tips. Find which ever pull line feels most comfortable to you then and practice. Side note most women with boobs also have hips (i am not saying your butt is big :) ) real work on taking advantage of that lower body power and emphsize the hip turn. I coached high school track throwers for a while and using the power of your lower body is where women get there speed and power from. Really make sure your are leading with your hips. Do you throw FH at all?
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Blake_T » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:01 am

Cube: people are generally inherently better at one than the other. Torso length, arm length vs torso width, flexibility, athleticism, etc. come into play.

There will be variability on a pure hyzer vs pure anhyzer, but people will generally go with what they are stronger at for straight shots, s-curves (hyzer flip vs anhyzer), etc.

Generally speaking if you throw with a straighter spine most of the time, a higher pull line will probably be stronger. If you throw with waist bend, a lower pull line will be stronger.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby brittwink » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:21 am

money 21 wrote:Sarah DeMarr from discraft might also be one to watch for tips. Find which ever pull line feels most comfortable to you then and practice. Side note most women with boobs also have hips (i am not saying your butt is big :) ) real work on taking advantage of that lower body power and emphsize the hip turn. I coached high school track throwers for a while and using the power of your lower body is where women get there speed and power from. Really make sure your are leading with your hips. Do you throw FH at all?

I flick for shots when I need an out or when I feel like backhand is just absolutely not the way to go. I generally prefer to anny if I possibly can
brittwink
Noob

Postby keltik » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:17 am

how far are you throwing max now?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby brittwink » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:16 pm

keltik wrote:how far are you throwing max now?

Depends on conditions. If it's serene outside with no wind and I rip it as hard as I can I probably get about 350 ft (mind you, I don't throw any fast drivers, cause I don't have the arm for them yet. Mainly my Saint, Valkyrie and PD are the fastest discs I throw)
brittwink
Noob

Next

Return to Technique