Stopping the elbow and chopping the elbow

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Stopping the elbow and chopping the elbow

Postby Pat » Sat May 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Are there any drills for these? I'm having a hard time stopping my elbow and I'm pulling shots to the right.
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Stopping the elbow and chopping the elbow

Postby JR » Sat May 18, 2013 12:54 pm

One thing to do before trying anything else is to make sure that you do not move the arm before the plant step lands. That can lead to right misses. The net thing is to get the elbow well ahead of the right side with the torso facing 90 degrees left of the target RHBH before starting the elbow chop. Fixing those things alone can stop the right misses.

If those do not work try standing back to the wall arm raised to the side no disc in the hand. Getting the arm half an inch away from the wall then softly moving the arm right against the wall should give you a feel for how an abrupt stop feels. At least when you slowly add speed. Then it is just a matter of trying to reproduce that feeling in a throw. Since commands need to be given ahead of time because the signals travel from the brain to the arm the command needs to start early. So you should try to send the elbow stop command exaggeratedly ahead of time at first to make sure you're not late in trying to stop the elbow.

I think it is more important to stop the wrist but that comes from someone who cannot extend the elbow straight and does not need to worry about it so YMMV.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Pat » Sat May 18, 2013 1:10 pm

JR: what should my hips be doing when my right plant foot lands?
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sat May 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Staying in one place because that is when the pause in the body rotation starts. During the pause the disc should be moved from the left pec area to the right pec with the arm alone mainly from the shoulder socket getting the elbow closer to the target than any other body part. Before pushing with the left leg to start the kinetic chain upwards that goes to the hips twisting next. Especially if you brace the right leg until the hips have started to move. Then the shoulders turn and only then does the elbow start to chop. The right leg can be used to push back if you want to simultaneously to the left leg pushing forward if you like to. it may or may not make the body rotation quicker. I'd leave the right knee bent on the push back for health reasons as safety margin.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique