Hip movement.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Hip movement.

Postby zpitman135 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:55 am

After watching feldberg's latest video on his website I found that it sort of contradicted what I had read on the forums at some point. He explains that the hip basically moves in a pretty straight line and lifts up at the end. He mentions nothing about opening and closing the hips, but black udder said what seems like the complete opposite :"This is a rotation, not a push from your hips. I see lots of folks push from their back leg and spin on their pivot foot. The goal here is to close the hips, then open them. There is no inherent forward motion in that action." Can anyone clear this up for me?
zpitman135
Noob

Favorite Disc: Supersoft Wizard

Re: Hip movement.

Postby JR » Fri May 24, 2013 1:10 am

I haven't got the time to look at the video now. The push of the left leg can either move the hip back to front without opening or less but some back to front and opening the hips. The upper torso can be rotated quicker to the right if you want to use core muscles actively to move further right. Feldy and Wiggins Junior in hi distance world record did not open too much because they borrow form from golf especially for steep hyzers. Where it makes sense with the arm swing plane being so far off of the hips horizontal twisting axis. The closer to flat you throw the less advantages there are to the way Feldy throws in limiting the power generation from moving less than possible with the hips and the shoulders. Limiting body movements can help in becoming more accurate though. It is the old power or control dilemma to which Scott Stokely answered use two forms one maximizing the other and the other form maximizing the other goal for different situations.

I think the Feldy kick is directly linked to how he uses the golf form of trying to preserve the arm swing plane and countering that movement with the kick as per Newtonian physics. The kick is in my experience more useful across different hyzer to mild anny angles than the best at steeper hyzers non hip and shoulder opening form. It may be a matter of practice and my capability of performing one form better than another too. The same mileage variations may go the other way for others, bodies and experience with different forms differ from one person to another.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique