Getting rid of OAT? A case study.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Getting rid of OAT? A case study.

Postby KRooster » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:35 pm

So I've read everything I can find about OAT, put in hours of field work mostly with mids and putters, and still having issues with it. Curious if anyone can shed light on my situation, because I'm nearly out of ideas.

A few weeks ago I was getting frustrated with constant OAT after a three year break from disc golf. I thought I was getting my wrist down, but then I was like eh, let's see what happens if I really exaggerate the wrist down. Bam, OAT was gone except for a tiny bit driving a Magnet. Tried a few different grip modifications to my power grip, all worked fine. Went and picked up a Lat64 Pure just in case the deep rim on the Magnet was an issue. Went out and threw some practice drives two days later, perfect smooth release with no OAT with the Pure.

So far so good. But the following day, the last joint on my pinky finger was hurting. I had usually been placing the pad of the pinky finger against the rim with my power grip, and it hurt too much to do that anymore. I figured eh, grip probably doesn't matter THAT much, and switched back to my previous grip which was tip of the pinky finger against the rim. OAT was back.

After another couple days of practice, still having issues with OAT. Then I thought, hey what if I really puff out my chest to get good posture with my shoulders back, a friend told me that sometimes helped him. Bam, OAT was mostly gone, though distance was lacking a bit. Seemed like it was easier to get weight forward that way.

Went and played in a tournament a few days later. First half of the tournament, OAT was gone. Second half of the tournament, OAT came right back. Tried everything that used to help, no luck. That was a couple days ago, and I'm still having issues with OAT.

I keep trying different tweaks to my form. Focusing on shoulders back, weight forward, pulling disc close to chest, various grip tweaks. Occassionally, OAT will be gone for a few throws but then it comes right back.

At this point, I'm thinking of taking a break until my pinky finger feels 100% and trying the "pinky pad against rim" grip again to see if that makes a difference. If anyone has had a similar experience and finally overcome OAT, please let me know any tips that helped you.
Pure/Jokeri Meteor/BuzzzSS/Buzzz/Wasp Xpress/FD/Teebird Roadrunner/OrionLS/OrionLF/PD
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Getting rid of OAT? A case study.

Postby JR » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:42 pm

Three finger grip should help the pinky. Putters and mids need less grip strength from pinky to middle finger in order to avoid finger sticking. You might be tiring out losing posture or normal angles. Normal after a break.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby KRooster » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:49 pm

Thanks JR, going to experiment with grip strength a bit. But when the OAT is there, it's there with drivers too.
Pure/Jokeri Meteor/BuzzzSS/Buzzz/Wasp Xpress/FD/Teebird Roadrunner/OrionLS/OrionLF/PD
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Stringbean » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Probably an issue with your hips or shoulders being out of line. You may have been fatigued during the second part of the tournament, possibly over compensating and things getting out of whack. Try doing right pec drills and see if you still have oat. You will know right away if it is a grip issue. As your shoulders and hips will be out of the equation.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Return to Technique