Discs Climbing

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Discs Climbing

Postby mgilbert » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:58 pm

My best throws are those that never rise above 10 to 15 feet, then fade when about five feet up at the end of the flight. But, it is a mystery to me how to make this happen consistently. A lot of my throws climb to 50 feet, fade and fall way left, and are about 50 feet shorter then they should be as a result. I recently discovered that the ball of the palm right behind the first finger - the one under the first knuckle of the pointer finger - should really be on top of the rim: not the bottom. That seemed to help. I understand the leading edge of the disc should be angled down (nose down) somewhat on release, which I think I am accomplishing by angling my wrist down. but I'm just not sure. I swear, learning to land a tailwheel ultralight wasn't this hard!

Could some of you give me some pointers on how to get the disc to fly level a few feet above the ground without climbing - consistently???
mgilbert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Re: Discs Climbing

Postby discmonkey42 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:54 pm

You've got the right idea in that the throws need to be nose down. That's a big key to both distance and control. For me what helped is to concentrate on keeping my wrist down but not cocked or open. Just like you'd shake someones hand.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Re: Discs Climbing

Postby itlnstln » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:19 am

Holding the disc correctly is one thing, but making sure you're weight-forward finishing the throw will help, too. If you're front leg is straight at the finish, you might have your weight too far back. If you are weight-forward, you may need to reach back higher. I had a nasty habit of starting my reachback too low and I was pulling up on a lot of throws. Also, if you're focusing on the hit, you tend to correct some of these things as you're aiming with the weight of the disc in a sense.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Return to Technique