Too much rotation off target (premature follow through)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Too much rotation off target (premature follow through)

Postby TwoChain » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:12 am

I have been discing for several years. And it seems the more I read about technique the more it messes up my shot haha. Lately it seems that as I transition from reach back to hit my disc ends up shanked way off the line to the right. It's not that the disc turned over, it's that somehow my follow through happened before I released.

Over the winter I had a lot of great rounds then I started thinking about ways to improve my shot. Some of my friends had told me I was rounding off. And I have read some articles on technique. It seems the more things I have in my head to think about the worse I get at the game haha.

I have been experimenting with a few things:

1. Keep my arm locked and swing it back to the reach back. It seems to work good for understable discs as it produces more of a hyzer.
2. When my disc gets to my stomach / chest, make sure to add some curl so that it goes hand, disc, chest in parallel. Works well with a comet!
3. Keep the disc lower at my stomach. Again more hyzer.
4. Always trying to figure out release angle and grip.

A few things I notice right away when a shot goes wrong: I didn't follow through, I am not low enough, I threw from my back shoulder, or my body spins off the line ...

I really feel like I forget how to play! One day I go to the park and kill each shot further than ever. The next day I am throw my mids into the bush on short holes.

My main focus now is just throwing down the intended line. So when I shoot I reach back, try to bend my elbow and get the disc close to my body and at that point my body starts to spin. I think what I need to do is throw then spin? It just feels like I am stopping myself and losing power.
RHBH: VP > KC Pro Roc > Echo Teebird > Pro Katana > Echo Wraith
TwoChain
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Roc

Re: Too much rotation off target (premature follow through)

Postby JR » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:53 am

Sounds like spinning out. When the final step before the throw lands the arm should not be moving forward. Only after this time. And once the heel touches the ground and the ball of the foot is in the air you should stop the leg in place relative to the ground. That prevents the knees and feet from turning toward the target to early. BUT if you manage to stop the leg hard enough your previous movements shot the hips right of resting position. So it is hard to say which is the case for you. Ideally you want to have the hips twist right lightning quick and adjust the arm acceleration rate and starting point accordingly. That means more distance potential and things that can go wrong so it may not be the best idea for so short distances that you can reach with your current distance or when accuracy is required.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Too much rotation off target (premature follow through)

Postby TwoChain » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:51 am

Ah thanks for the advice, I'll try it out.
RHBH: VP > KC Pro Roc > Echo Teebird > Pro Katana > Echo Wraith
TwoChain
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Roc

Return to Technique