Driving Form Critique for Accuracy

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Driving Form Critique for Accuracy

Postby Planeman93 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Hey guys, I have been playing been playing for about 4-5 years now and have been constantly trying to improve my form. I have been playing pro for 2 years now. I have included two videos, one set of midranges and one set of drivers. These are throws mostly done at an accuracy power level like how I would throw off a teebox on a wooded fairway. If I had to guess the drivers are in the 360' range and the mids around 300'. The same day I recorded these videos I also threw PDs 430'-440' and destroyers around 450'. I am not concerned with distance at this point but I am trying to improve my driving accuracy. They are probably connected so I am all ears for how to improve my technique.

One thing I definitely notice is the strange action going on with my pull through at the very end, it is almost wysocki-ish. This seems to be a possible accuracy leak, along with the strange action going on with my elbow. I have been trying to get it all to work on the same plane as seen in Schusterick's driving technique, but have had a hard time accomplishing this. Besides these two issues the only thing I can think to do is to keep practicing timings and get the muscle memory in place. I focus on bringing it close to my chest during training and not coming through early with my upper body.

Drivers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICPvTck ... e=youtu.be
Midranges:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yUxjcn ... e=youtu.be

This throw is a right shank that I experience often. I do a straight line run up for a straight shot, but at some points during my disc golf career have done a diagonal run up.
The throw feels natural but the disc comes out significantly more to the right, if you can provide any insight to why this is happening that would be great. My only hunch is the timings for a diagonal run up are coming back into my form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VudeJlb ... e=youtu.be

If anyone wants the actual video files I can message them to you so you can watch them in slower motion. I couldn't figure out how to just share the files so I posted them to youtube.

Thanks for the help!
Planeman93
Noob

Re: Driving Form Critique for Accuracy

Postby luma » Wed May 21, 2014 5:22 am

Right Shank looks to me what I am doing myself sometimes. I have the same thing and when I shank it right, I just threw it out of my shoulders too much. You need to create seperation from your hips and shoulders, so your hips turn first, and then come the shoulders. On your shank throw, the shoulders nearly turned faster than your hips, and that's when the rip point moves significantly further right. What I do then, is either focus on legwork, so my left leg pushes into my right one with a hip turn, instead of just pushing all of my upper body around. Or, what is easier for me when I need a quick fiy during a tournament or so, I try to focus on the order of motions, that it's going from the ground upwards. First my feet and legs, then hip turn, then shoulder turn, then arm and snap. This is my quick fix if I don't have the time to go out and practice on the field.
luma
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis all day long

Postby JR » Wed May 21, 2014 9:32 pm

You are moving slightly diagonally. Spin out id the deal here. Do you aim visually? If you do you are turning the head away so far that it gets harder to do and you use golf form or disc golf steep hyzer form like Feldberg where the head turns by the shoulders following through so the disc is gone when you see the target. The vertebrae support the weight of the head with flat and slight hyzer throws so you can turn the head to see the target and turn the eyes to the right corners like Climo does. You do not need to plant the final step 90 degrees away from the target. With accuracy throws less is better say 50-80 degrees depending on the person and required power.

The right miss can come from the slightly too early beginning of the arm pull that precedes the final step plant by a fraction of a second. The plant first the pull second.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Planeman93 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:45 pm

luma wrote:Right Shank looks to me what I am doing myself sometimes. I have the same thing and when I shank it right, I just threw it out of my shoulders too much. You need to create seperation from your hips and shoulders, so your hips turn first, and then come the shoulders. On your shank throw, the shoulders nearly turned faster than your hips, and that's when the rip point moves significantly further right. What I do then, is either focus on legwork, so my left leg pushes into my right one with a hip turn, instead of just pushing all of my upper body around. Or, what is easier for me when I need a quick fiy during a tournament or so, I try to focus on the order of motions, that it's going from the ground upwards. First my feet and legs, then hip turn, then shoulder turn, then arm and snap. This is my quick fix if I don't have the time to go out and practice on the field.

Thanks for the input Luma. That is exactly the experience I have had with the right shank as well. I try to keep my shoulders closed that extra bit of time, and make sure my plant foot lands before I begin the pull through.
Planeman93
Noob

Postby Planeman93 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:55 pm

JR wrote:You are moving slightly diagonally. Spin out id the deal here. Do you aim visually? If you do you are turning the head away so far that it gets harder to do and you use golf form or disc golf steep hyzer form like Feldberg where the head turns by the shoulders following through so the disc is gone when you see the target. The vertebrae support the weight of the head with flat and slight hyzer throws so you can turn the head to see the target and turn the eyes to the right corners like Climo does. You do not need to plant the final step 90 degrees away from the target. With accuracy throws less is better say 50-80 degrees depending on the person and required power.

The right miss can come from the slightly too early beginning of the arm pull that precedes the final step plant by a fraction of a second. The plant first the pull second.

I aim with body positioning and form, and don't really aim visually. To be honest I'm not completely sure what you are trying to explain with with the rest of the statement. :) I will definitely start testing out the 50-80 degree angle for accuracy shots for no steps, and when driving I have already started to making sure my plant step lands before my pull through. This helps the accuracy of my high power throws greatly.

It seems everything is starting to click and I know what happens every time my throw does not go as expected, and know how to trouble shoot it. I am going to also start drilling to remove the "swoop" in my pull through and try to make it happen on a single plane with a smoother pull through. My distance seems to still be improving by improving my reachback, timings, and acceleration.

Besides this I'm not really sure how to keep improving besides repetition to learn timings. My latest tournament went very well and my driving was at least 1030 rated for 4 rounds, with only putting and single trouble holes holding me back.
Planeman93
Noob

Postby JR » Wed May 28, 2014 1:19 am

You moved from rear right to slightly left so you were not moving in a straight line toward the target. That is problematic for accuracy because not everything is moving toward the target. Thus making the time window when the disc is moving at the target shorter. That really hurts during slips so dry warm weather vs cold wet can be very different. You should try seeing and visually aiming at the target when the disc is around the right side except for steep hyzers. There seeing the target is bad. Especially shorter approaches aiming height and sideways visually by looking at a single spot in space can make a large difference.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique