Going from 450'-475' average, to 500'

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Going from 450'-475' average, to 500'

Postby JR » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:45 am

Congratulations 500' is a major achievement!

There is variation in the drives which is normal after tweaking form. There are balance issues because the follow through step lands to different distances and sideways places. The grass hides how high the ball of the foot is in the air. You should see if the feeling is easier from the twisting point of view if you raise the ball of the foot more.

The elbow could move more forward still. The running speed and arm effort are fast grats on that. You seem to be in good shape.

You were semi rounding and do get far. How about testing straight pulls, Voigt style and double pivot as well with different reach backs?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Going from 450'-475' average, to 500'

Postby turso » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:12 am

I've hit over 500' few times this summer too(finally, only twice last year), and watching those guys doing it confirmed my suspicion that my plant isn't quite strong enough ,and my balance is wobbly, leading to not getting all the power out of hip rotation I could. Anyhow my experience is that 500' doesn't really require actually pushing super hard, I find that mentally aiming to pull a tight turn at your throwing arm armpit seems to create a good powerful pull line(of course it line doesn't go to the armpit, the mental image just helps me).
I'm a tall guy with fishing line arms, but solid back and leg power, and I've wondered if developing shoulder/upper back would result in more distance.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Previous

Return to Technique