Try this for getting the nose down

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby The Clergyman » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:12 pm

Bun-a-pain ...

:P
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z XL...or not

Postby JR » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:00 pm

[quote="PRES 10"]I just got done playing a round around our yard, I was having trouble with nose-up. i tried Bradly Walkers excersise for a threw throws, but I had to throw the think like 30 feet in the air to keep it from diving nose-down into the dirt at about 50 feet. Is this what is suppost to happen or am I doing something wrong? I am using my z pred, and I can see the bottom of the disc most of the time if I do it correctly.[/quote]

Not owning a Pred and not havinig done similar exercise in a long time I can't be specific about required heights and distances. I think that what you have is a good start. See if you can see the bottom of the disc with longer drives. Try to get from mid to full range drives and see what happens. With luck you won't ever have worry about getting the nose down enough.

Janne
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:27 pm

[quote="The Clergyman"]Bun-a-pain ...

:P[/quote]

Please do not take my post seriously it's just for entertainment purposes and read it at your own risk.

Before this post I had resisted the urge to tell you what dirty things come to mind from Bonopane in Finnish considering clergy. Since you started... You uncanned this monster :-)

A Canadian might recognize the word Bon from French. O(f) from English and pane in written form in Finnish is an order to go F***. Word! Maybe we can agree to use English pane instead. So it would be a good window pane? So much more politically correct.

Finnish is the rudest language on earth mixed with other languages. It's the mildest inconvenience that many names in Finland are of the opposite sex than in most languages in the world. Male names such as Janne, Kari, Mika, Kim and the more traditional version Kimi at least have female counterparts in other languages. There's infinitely much more havoc that can be done with word games or direct translation from Finnish to other languages or vice versa.

Hungarian and Finnish are relatives from some thousands of years ago. We have a couple of word that have common ancestry but much funnier are the same words with different meanings. Like Hungarian female name Pimppa. In Finnish that would mean exactly the thing that you think of first when I mention female crotch... I don't know about the Hungarian written form but the spoken version "perse" in Hungarian means of course and in Finnish a$$. Some language in India doesn't mix with Finnish at all. In Finnish an executive from India in a company that my friend works in has the family name satan's balls translated into Finnish from it's spoken form. Try to keep a straight face hearing that for the first time face to face unless you have been warned. It's still hard even though you practice your game face. I mean come oooonn!

Finnish dissects the words and we think of languge more engineer like than English speaking people. I was surprised that one of my English teachers had never thought of Associated Press as a** o cia ted press. Even more surprising was that he thought that it wouldn't be obvious to most native English speakers. He speaks fairly good Finnish so I threw him a real scratcher that I came up with without trying. I must be cursed or something to come up with something like this from the twilight zone. How far out is this? In Finnish eastern dialect mie pissin means my pissin'. When you think that in pig latin the written Finnish words mie pissin become pie missin' in written form in English and that in turn is pronounced my pissin' in English that ought to make somebody else's head spin as well. New light on the tower of babel thing? English and Finnsih related through naughty translations through pig latin in both written and spoken form? Freaky. I mean please come on what the (insert your word I've written enough dirty words for one post) is going on?

So after that prologue don't take my quess of the pronounciation of Bonopane too seriously. Not knowing which language Bonopane is I'd quess that the pronounciation would be Bon in French O as in the letter and pane (in English) ;-) Or maybe we should write that pain to make this less excruciating? Why does English have different words pronounced similarly and then zillions of synonyms for other words? I mean come on -so what if England has been run over several times and each new bunch introduced new words for the same things.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby The Clergyman » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:38 pm

:D :D :D :D :D
That's awesome!

Really, it began as a serious question because I never knew about this grip and now I'm loving it! I owe you one!

I was just having fun with it to see if anyone noticed.

BTW I have a friend named Randy (he's Canadian too) who has travelled to Australia a couple of times where his name in the Australian vernacular means "horny."

Hillarious :D :D :D
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z XL...or not

Postby JR » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:43 pm

[quote="The Clergyman"]:D :D :D :D :D

BTW I have a friend named Randy (he's Canadian too) who has travelled to Australia a couple of times where his name in the Australian vernacular means "horny."

I raised my eyebrows when the Finnish tv started to send the new version of The Muppet Show and my friends wanted to see one of the first episodes. Happened a couple of times and seemingly there are two pigs on the regular "cast". Named Andy and Randy. Randy pig indeed... :-P
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Re: Try this for getting the nose down

Postby josser » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:58 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:2. Acceleration. Keep you pull very, very,very, very short. You do not want a long pull that SLOWS DOWN, you want a very, very short pull that POPS HARD. This should be a shortened version of the same acceleration you would use in your full drive. I can throw 80' power and never bring the disc behind my front shoulder more than a few inches.

Basically the right pec drill with a few inch reach back? Do I understand this correctly?

Bradley Walker wrote:3. One step footwork Start the throw with your feet together (about 45 degrees to the target) and take one step forward and with your throwing arm foot (if you throw right handed, step with your right foot) and throw. this is the same typical step you might take if your were playing baseball catch. Just enough movement to get you moving toward the target. When you step lean forward naturally and get your weight over your lead foot. In this sense, it really is a "catch" step.

This is a follow-up to my last question. Do I keep my chest facing perpendicular to the target for the teeny tiny pull and then open my shoulders as in a normal throw? The reason I ask is that I am having trouble figuring out why my feet start 45 degrees to the target and not perpendicular to the target like in a regular one step.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:28 pm

josser wrote:
Bradley Walker wrote:2. Acceleration. Keep you pull very, very,very, very short. You do not want a long pull that SLOWS DOWN, you want a very, very short pull that POPS HARD. This should be a shortened version of the same acceleration you would use in your full drive. I can throw 80' power and never bring the disc behind my front shoulder more than a few inches.

Basically the right pec drill with a few inch reach back? Do I understand this correctly?

Bradley Walker wrote:3. One step footwork Start the throw with your feet together (about 45 degrees to the target) and take one step forward and with your throwing arm foot (if you throw right handed, step with your right foot) and throw. this is the same typical step you might take if your were playing baseball catch. Just enough movement to get you moving toward the target. When you step lean forward naturally and get your weight over your lead foot. In this sense, it really is a "catch" step.

This is a follow-up to my last question. Do I keep my chest facing perpendicular to the target for the teeny tiny pull and then open my shoulders as in a normal throw? The reason I ask is that I am having trouble figuring out why my feet start 45 degrees to the target and not perpendicular to the target like in a regular one step.

I think Bradley is thinking of training the timing of where to start putting on gas into the arm acceleration. If you went at full acceleration once the disc is by the right pec you probably won't get as good golf line throws as opposed to accelerating harder from 45 degree left of target chest direction. With the hardest acceleration of muscle power conscious effort 2-4" before the arm straightens out. This is different from the acceleration of of the rate of acceleration of the arm in speed. In order to get the arm accelerating the fastest and accelerating hardest after the disc has left your fingers you need to consciously try to accelerate inches earlier in the rm motion so that the message gets to the muscles and the muscles can react.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Donald Smith » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:08 pm

I like to ask people named "Randy", is that a pronoun? or a descriptive adjective? One of course is the person's name, the other would mean "horny" in English.

Oh well, it's late, time to dream about DG.
Donald
Longest Putt 69 feet
Longest Drive 310 feet
Average Drive 250 feet
Courses played 6
Age 52
Started playing DG in July 2009
Donald Smith
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby josser » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:36 am

I have a question for BW's nose down catch game/exercise. The most stable discs I have are a max weight star teebird and a max weight champ orc. Would either of these be suitable for nose down catch? It seems that at 80' of power you are dealing with mostly LSS so the orc and pred don't look too far apart. Of course I'm always happy for an excuse for new plastic so I'm happy to track down a pred.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:27 pm

You're gonna need something piggish for winds, tight corners and trick shots anyway so a Z Pred being a fairway driver is versatile. It just lacks the distance of max headwind distance disc like a Force. Those are the best options for pulling off more than one duty to keep the bag as minimal as possible. Spirit falls in between on a faster and more stable direction from Pred but it's so overstable that it's not as versatile as a Pred and it's considerably shorter than a Force.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Re:

Postby jubuttib » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:32 pm

JR wrote:Finnish is the rudest language on earth mixed with other languages.

Nice ten rice cows? Ninety mice too? Pen is car what? Leave it boys? Is open is? =)

And then of course simply nine, which sounds exactly the same as nain ("I f*cked").

EDIT: Nice ten rice cows = naisten raiskaus = "the raping of women", ninety mice too = nainti maistuu = "I like f*cking" (more or less), pen is car what = peniskarvat = "penis/pubic hair", leave it boys = liivit pois = "off with the bra!", is open is = iso penis = "big penis".
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby toothyfish » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:21 am

josser wrote:I have a question for BW's nose down catch game/exercise. The most stable discs I have are a max weight star teebird and a max weight champ orc. Would either of these be suitable for nose down catch? It seems that at 80' of power you are dealing with mostly LSS so the orc and pred don't look too far apart. Of course I'm always happy for an excuse for new plastic so I'm happy to track down a pred.

Would Z/ESP Avengers work as well? I recall that they were nose angle sensitive which was why the SOLF was recommended as it was not as sensitive.

BTW, I'm glad this thread was resurected.

I assume then that the point is to maintain this nose down wrist angle, and slightly increase the trajectory of the release (arm plane) for bigger distance.
VoodooBuzzzEagle XEagle LFirebirdPD
toothyfish
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby adamb258 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:18 pm

its alliiiive!! Bringing this back from the dead to ask about using a 12x champion firebird instead of a predator, yes? no? maybe so?
adamb258
Noob

Postby Parks » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:00 am

Any overstable disc will do.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:34 am

x2 to what Parks said. This grip hurts the skin fast and is certainly very distance limited on drives. Disc pivot and the drill Brad laid out is the real way to go for max drive D. This silly grip I described does have the advantage in throwing over bushes and trees and landing near the basket right behind those trees. Spikes are often more susceptible to winds than this trick shot. The real benefit IMO is learning what happens and what it looks like when a disc has a great nose down angle.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Technique