Big Bead Avair or Hard Wizard for drives

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Big Bead Avair or Hard Wizard for drives

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:42 pm

Alright, I already checked blakes chart and i see the big bead avair has identical stats to the Wizard. I loved the way my wizard had a high resistance to turn, yet didnt have a ton of fade. I lost my Wizard, and am far from a decent supplier so I picked up a big bead avair knowing they were similar. I havent had the chance to throw the big bead avair yet, what should i expect. I have from 425-450' of power, and could throw the wizard on a flat hyzer approx 250' (total distance on about a 280' line) and straight line for 200'.

My main worries are that the Avair will turn more, fade more or have less glide.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Jones » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:55 pm

I normally throw big bead aviars and I just got a wizard yesterday and they fly nearly identical ( that I can see). I also picked up a Banger GT and it seems slightly more stable. I haven't got to throw them much so I could be slightly off but to me they felt and flew almost the same.
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:03 pm

I didnt realize this topic was in the technique forum, oh well, im sure it will get read the same, sorry anyways... :oops:

Yeah ive been using the banger for putting, its got a good feel, and im getting more consistancy with it, especially long putts. It bounces out a bit often, i would love to see it in x plastic or I may have to find a softer putter, i am still in the search...
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:23 am

the kc aviar will not be as stable or as long as the wizard.

the flight characteristics are subtle and weren't different enough to justify different ratings... but i find the wizard to be superior.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:33 am

alright i have another question, does anybody know if the milliineum omega and qmega are avair putt and approach or big bead avair molds?
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:45 pm

putt & approach
Blake_T

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:15 pm

if thats the reply whats the mold for the omega putt and approach (the only place ive seen one called this is in the reviews on this site, they may be the same mold just named differently)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:19 pm

if you are worried about wizards i'd recommend the 5 for $30 deal from gateway. easy way to stock up.

all omegas are the aviar putter.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:12 pm

Blake is right: the wizard works better for long approaches or long putt attempt than the big bead aviar.

I'm liking the banger too, but it seems that the wizard is slightly better for longer putt attempts and extreme wind.

If you have a credit card, you can order directly from Gateway. Sun King Discs also carries Gateway products. I am using a black wizard that is slightly more grippy than the standards. I think Mike had them listed as "midnight" wizards, but don't call them this in front of a Gateway person... :D
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jones » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:40 pm

Yeah I'll definately agree, after playing with the wizard the last week I've dropped my other putters pretty much.
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby LastBoyScout » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:14 pm

Blake_T wrote:the kc aviar will not be as stable or as long as the wizard.

the flight characteristics are subtle and weren't different enough to justify different ratings... but i find the wizard to be superior.

LOL. I can out drive with a KC Pro aviar over a wizard anyday. However, what i really find funny is that the DX Aviar PnA throws just like the wizard.

NOTE: Millenium is now a seperate entity from Innova, just as Ching went its seperate way. Be on the look out for new plastic from Millenium come this year round about May - June.
LastBoyScout

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:41 pm

youre the first person I know who has copared the wizard to the avair p&a. The wizard is quite a bit more stable with a much larger tendancy to turn.

And the wizard seems to have a tremendous glide over the Avair X. If you must compare it to avairs I would say Avair X Stability, Avair P&A glide.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:19 pm

LastBoyScout wrote:[LOL. I can out drive with a KC Pro aviar over a wizard anyday. However, what i really find funny is that the DX Aviar PnA throws just like the wizard.

I must of have a different aviar pna; mine was not nearly as long as a wizard nor as overstable.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby LastBoyScout » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:58 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:I must of have a different aviar pna; mine was not nearly as long as a wizard nor as overstable.

Im using recent pressed avairs that I bought at a local sporting goods store. The trick with throwing these since they are the softer DX plastic is adding more wrist curl. When i throw them, I release on a 45 degree hyzer angle get plenty of loft so as to allow them to snap up to flat and glide. I consistantly throw them about 10 feet short of a 300 ft long open field shot. You really have to power the disc to get it to work like that, but it does just find. Only reason I dont use the Pro Line and KC Pro Avairs anymore is that despite the extra 20 feet i would get from the firmer plastic when i did hit an ace, they popped back out of the chains or the basket. Never had a DX avair pop out when I did hit an ace.

Maybe its me, but when I throw my now retired wizard, I have to throw if just like i do my DX aviars...
LastBoyScout

Postby bigs348 » Mon May 22, 2006 7:11 pm

So I hate to say it, but I think I'm giving up my Aviar for the Wizard. The Wizard was the first putter I attempted driving with, and it was hard for me to get used to. I started using a 10x KC Pro Aviar instead and I loved it. It's my bread and butter and its by far the most used disc in my bag.

Well, I just pulled my 174 Firm Wizard out of my truck box and threw it around a bit because I was bored and my bag wasn't near by. Well, this thing is money. After learning to drive well with my Aviar and fixing out the kinks in my form, the Wizard is amazing -- longer, straighter, more resistant to turn, less low speed fade. Plus, these are a lot cheaper than 10x's. I'm happy.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Technique