Big Bead Avair or Hard Wizard for drives

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby LastBoyScout » Mon May 22, 2006 7:47 pm

New Star Avair! Still outdriving a wizard.
LastBoyScout

Postby bigs348 » Mon May 22, 2006 7:52 pm

Man, I love the Star Aviar for putting and for some drives, but for me it's too understable for most stuff. Thrown with enough hyzer it rarely flips, but I like that the big bead Aviar and the Wizard are both very resistant to turn. Depends on how you like to throw I guess.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue May 23, 2006 10:59 am

I agree, the star avair is the p&a mold, they really should do the big beads again.

If anyones wondering, I have switched back to wizards (a couple months ago) and am very happy.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby roadkill » Tue May 23, 2006 3:21 pm

bigs348 wrote:. Well, this thing is money. ........ the Wizard is amazing -- longer, straighter, more resistant to turn, less low speed fade. Plus, these are a lot cheaper than 10x's. I'm happy.

Amen brother!
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby bigs348 » Tue May 23, 2006 6:31 pm

Hmmm, having second thoughts now about the Wizard/Aviar debate...

I had a showdown tonight:

175g 10x KC Pro Aviar
175g Star Aviar
174g S Firm Wizard
175g E Wizard

I don't have a ton of room in the yard, so I was just standing and throwing. First surprise, I can throw 250 or so just standing. That was cool. Second surprise, they all seemed to go pretty much the same distance.

I felt I had the most control with the KC Aviar and the E WIzard. The Star Aviar has some great glide but was only good on a big hyzer or a big anhyzer -- distance was kind of lacking on a straight flat throw. The S Firm Wizard was very frustrating for me, because with some hyzer it would go forever on a hyzer line, but throwing flat or with very slight hyzer it would trail off right -- not turn over, just track right. I just couldn't get the right angle for a flat throw at all. It's somewhat beat up, but with S plastic, I didn't think it would change that much. I figure I must be doing something wrong, but throwing it alongside 3 other discs my form was good. E Wizard was almost identical to the 10x KC Aviar, but I prefer the stiffness of the Aviar. I think I may be sticking with the KC for now, but I really would like to figure out the Wizard. Throwing it by itself, I thought it superior, but when field tested head-to-head, I have to pull for the 10x KC. I have 3 of them, so hopefully those will last me a couple years before I can no longer find them or they cost like $100.

That was a quick 24 hour flip-flop, but the head to head testing sealed the deal.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bigs348 » Tue May 23, 2006 7:13 pm

Hmm, just went out again. Throwing the S Wizard at about 70% power instead of 80%, had it going pretty well. Maybe I'll change my mind again, good Lord.
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Rob » Sun May 28, 2006 8:18 am

I like a medium wizard for long putts and approach.. and a soft or supersoft for regular putting... I got the deal from wizard and they sent me everything i asked for as far as stiffness and weight... not to mention they threw in a proto disc, "The Odyssey"...
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Pagan » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:51 pm

Rob wrote:I like a medium wizard for long putts and approach.. and a soft or supersoft for regular putting... I got the deal from wizard and they sent me everything i asked for as far as stiffness and weight... not to mention they threw in a proto disc, "The Odyssey"...

Is it the putter? I've been loving the odyssey putter. Got it in on Tuesday, and by thursday I had pulled my challenger and putt'r out of my bag. It's freakin awesome on BOTH approaches and putts. Whatever line ya give it, it holds to the ground (or basket !CHING! :-) ) My putt make ratio has nearly doubled since using it for a couple days.

The design of this disc looks "odd" but it seems to work. I was throwing out 30' and longer putts with hyzer, and AnHyzer angles. The disc just held them all the way to the chains. My only comlaint is the seam. It's just wierd to me still.
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby LastBoyScout » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:31 am

I got 3 of those at the Bowling Green Ams, people were giving them away. I broke all 3 in less than 2 weeks. Great concept, great design, awesome aerodynamics, poor construction. I had the center plastic come out on one of them, and the other 2 just flat out cracked on me. Not by hitting trees, just on landings. My home course is an open course for big arms.

Small fact, the glow version glows better than any other glow disc on the market according to a Gateway person who was camping at the KOA like I was. Most companies (innova, discraft) put about $2.50 worth of glow into the plastic. These have $5.00 worth. They glow great.

I would like to see the final product.
LastBoyScout

Postby bigs348 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:29 pm

Alright, so I've returned to the Wizard. I've been flip-flopping between the Aviar and the Wizard (either driving, putting, or both) for almost 6 months now, with the Aviar seeing 85% of the action. Finally had to embrace the Wizard fully and completely turn my back on the Aviar.

I'm now using a 175 soft black wizard for putting, a 174 supersoft for approaches, and a 174 firm for drives and some approaches. The supersoft is a recent addition, but it holds a beautiful anhyzer line, flattens out, and just sits. I love it. The soft black Wizard has that lovely Gateway chalkiness and the grip is great, even when I'm sweating my junk off in 100 degree weather.

I'm heading up to Warwick, NY tomorrow for the Skylands Classic NT event. I'm looking forward to seeing what my Wizard can do against all the Innova sponsored Aviar boys. (While I conveniently forget that they're all rated at least 100 points higher than I am...)
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby LastBoyScout » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:03 pm

best of luck. I know that one thing I found out driving with a putter is that for a straight and low shot, your really have to have a smooth, flat, low to the ground shot that reeks of torque. All of my friends say I look mentally challenged when I do it, but I would like to see them throw a putter or a driver for that matter on a straight line with little chance of blowing by, or being too fast for the shot.

Remember, all in all, your out there to have fun. As soon as it becomes work, it never fails, you start to suck it up.
LastBoyScout

Previous

Return to Technique