I know some discs are faster but...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

I know some discs are faster but...

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:40 pm

Alright this is part two of my dillema from the last topic i posted about distance over potential.

The problem I run into with the wraith is i believe since its faster, its more nose angle sensitive, and slows down faster than it should. Sometimes when I think i had a good rip it still seems to slow faster than it should.
My question do some discs althought faster slow down at a quicker rate, is it just a matter of glide, or a matter of technique or power?
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby presidio hills » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:20 pm

i think it may have to do with weight more concentrated on the rim. makes it more 'gyroscopic' as blake says. i think the wraith is quite rim heavy.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:29 pm

sounds like you are not getting the wraith to finish nose down. as the rim widens and gets sharper, the nose down at launch you need is greater to get the disc to finish slight nose down.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby LastBoyScout » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:48 am

It is a nose sensitive disc. I can throw the disc 370 feet about 15 feet off the ground on a straight line before it flexes out and starts to hyzer the remaining 10 feet.

When the disc hit about 340 feet you can visible see the disc slow down and begin to glide and I always see the top of the disc. It never fails. This is something that I have been working on. Im not sure if i need to position my wrist in more of a downward angle before the throw, or go back to having the thumb more on the actual rim nearer the edge versus on the flight plane near the where the rim begins.

Mess around with it some, as I foresee it taking a neutral balance of both.

Granted the disc is small, but still think of it like a ice skater. hands and arms in equal faster spin. Hands and arms out equal slower spin. The disc is simply not as flight plane heavy as it could be for better spin induction, but has the added benefit of glide should you get the spin to occur as it is needed. I see the wraith as being the new speed 11 Valk, with the TeeRex being more like a speed 11 Firebird. These discs will be here for a few years before people really get the hang of them and what they can do. I can already drive my orcs, beasts and starfires as far as i do these Wraiths, but i feel in the long run, the Wraith is just waiting for that new advance in technique to be tapped, and you will see the true power and potential it has.
LastBoyScout

Postby discmonkey42 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:15 am

I've gotta say a broken in Illusion (imho) is better and farther than all the rest of these newer max d discs and I can control it!
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:47 am

I have been wanting to try breaking in a venom or illusion. But Im afraid they will be even more nose angle sensitive, becuase they are faster.

And for throwing the Wraith extra nose down from the start by angling your wrist, you can try it, but I predict that it causes the disc to fly much uncontrollably less stable than you would want.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby LastBoyScout » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:48 pm

its actually still controllable. This is how i learned to throw the disc, and gradually step away from it for a higher shoulder level throw. When i get a full extension low the the ground throw for windy days, or to hit 2 foot high gaps, this is what i use.
LastBoyScout

Postby Weebl » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:49 pm

What helped me throw the wraith is beat it up a little (pro plastic) and then flip it up from hyzer, it gets more height and once it turns over a little bit, the fade it gentle and i get a good 40' from the fade alone. I usually dont see the top plate till the last 15' of the total distance.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:18 am

I like the wraith, but when you don't get the nose down on it, you know it immediately.

On an unrelated note (I may start a new thread for this), mine has beat up some and doesn't come back as well. It actually resembles my new x avenger now! I too am starting to throw it with some hyzer.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby LastBoyScout » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:14 am

LOL. Here is what is happening to my star wraith. Thrown flat, it has more of an S Curve profile, but if i give it any type of angle greater than 10 degrees (assuming that flat is 0 degrees and toward hyzer is positive) the thing will never flip up to flat.

Also, I have been messing around with disc weights and found that the lighter the disc, the less it deviates from its line when thrown. I am messing around with a 165 gram wraith and when thrown flat, it has a slow speed hyzer shift of about5 feet max. Great for windless moments, but any wind and your sunk. Its just too light to battle through it.
LastBoyScout

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:51 am

All 4 guys I regularly play with (3-4 times per week) throw wraiths for their main driver. All of them hyzer flip the CFR and DX versions. 2 of them hyzer flip the Star versions. All of them throw a Star or CFR for long turnover shots too. All of them throw over 400 feet. I can throw my Illusions farther than I can throw any of their wraiths (I can't throw over 400, though). Come to think of it, I can throw the Illusion farther than anything else I've tried....and with more control.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby LastBoyScout » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:14 pm

no one can still understand that it takes an enourmous amount of snap to have access to all the abilities the wraith has.

once you figure it out and get it dialed in, its beautiful though.

I just started learning the sidearm, or shall i say trying to become efficent and able to produce the same throw with it consistantly and I use a CFR wraith when I throw. Surprise Surprise I can throw 320 feet effortlessly and it has a super long and straight line on it.

Now listen to this. This is something that no one really thinks about, unless you have had 2 years of biology and have ever done research on working out and what muscles you use and exercises for certain muscles.
When you throw sidearm, you tap into a very strong muscle, your Lats, or latissimus dorsi (spelling??). This is the reason that most throws are very easy or effortless as people often report.
What is interesting, is that backhand, people often do not use this muscle because they do not throw at shoulder height. I do, and find that even back hand, my shots mirror my sidearm throws. Anyone having trouble getting snap should try throwing at shoulder height, which I know goes against the belt level throw style that most people are taught.
LastBoyScout

Return to Technique