anhyzer

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby jiwaburst » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. That "flex shot" turns out to be the shot I throw on drives most of the time.

It's much easier for me to throw at full power than the hyzer flip thing .

Which brings up another question: Let's say that you have a 290-320 ft. straight shot through a tunnel, no picking other lines and going around. What shots do people throw for this kind of shot?

I can do this shot sidearm (though I'm trying to limit my sidearm throws to only a few per round) , or maybe backhand with something very neutral (like a beat starfire or a heavy archangel), but it's a hard throw to aim correctly backhand and if I miss the line then I'm sunk.

I hear people talk about using overstable plastic for straight/long tunnel shots, and though easier to put on a correct line, even a perfect throw through with overstable will give me enough fade at the end, that I could have just gotten as close by throwing a ROC straight and short, then getting a simple par. But I want to be able to birdie this kind of hole (of which my local course has three or four) without using my sidearm/forhand shot.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby DiscCrusher » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:17 pm

I use something understable like a leopard or sidewinder and throw low hyzer flips. Goes straight as it sits up and doesn't fade offline at all if it turns just a little. Depending on the power on the shot you might want something a little more stable, but really you want it to turn just a little past flat so that it fades forward on the line you are hitting.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:11 pm

i try not to ever turn a disc over on tunnel shots. if you are turned at all, kicks will be nightmarishly inconsistent.

if you hit a tree hyzer, the disc will kick off the tree hyzer and you will always end up left, just a matter of how far. i always find it easier to play from the left side of the fairway as it lets you throw another hyzer approach.

i generally throw hyzers that flatten up but never turn.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby jiwaburst » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:04 pm

Good stuff on the kick back for hyzer vs. turned, that indeed happens sometimes and gets into my head. Good to think about.

When you say that you throw hyzers that flatten up and never turn for these type of shots, what kind of disk do you use and what skip/fade are you getting?

I guess it comes down to feeling that I have more control forehand, then anhyzer backhand then hyzer UNLESS I am playing for flat and then fade.

As I force myself to use more backhand shots, especially shots further out of max midrange distance, I am confronting a whole bunch of discomfort with some of the lines I have to figure out.

p.s. I'm pretty much maxed out distance wise with my forhand, but am nowhere close to maxed-out with my backhand, I know that to improve I must have more shots and longer shots backhand.

Thanks everyone for these forums and for any input past and future.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby asimo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:08 pm

I know that the Sidewinder is not Blakes favorite driver for a beginner, but my friend, whose skill is greatly increasing, insists on using it as his main driver. What types of lines should they be trying to throw with it?

The reason I am asking in this thread is because the original argument with my local anny throwing friends, started over my beginner friends use of his Sidewinder. They insisted that especially with the Sidewinder my friend should be throwing anny as that is what the disc was "designed for" in thier minds. I thought that my beginner friend should experiment with throwing all different lines with his Sidewinder as holes dictated during a round. Mostly, focusing on throwing a hyzer that flattens and flies str8 as his main fairway drive was my advice.
asimo
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:06 pm

jiwaburst wrote:As I force myself to use more backhand shots, especially shots further out of max midrange distance, I am confronting a whole bunch of discomfort with some of the lines I have to figure out.

I would say learn to streach the Roc shot longer, in the end it will be the perfect disc to reach 300' even in a tunnel, if its not long enough something along the line of leapord or gazelle would be my next step up, although I dont even carry those anymore, I perfer my Z Glide over them for tunnels yet the Glide is more likely to turn if you cant control it, and I agree w/ blake that you shouldnt turn a tunnel shot.

Personally I throw the Buzzz not the roc (am a big fan of the roc though, and its in the back of my head that I may make the switch back once I have the money to buy new plastic every month) and I will throw my buzzz (or a Cyclone depending on the wind and hazards) anywhere 200-325 for tunnels. (250-350 in the open)

It sounds like you plan to keep your sidearm, and I highly reccomend you do, I drove sidearm when I started, and once I learned backhand I began throwing backhand for everything. Now Im relearning my sidearm, because it still saves me at least a stroke every round.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby garublador » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:59 am

jiwaburst wrote:Which brings up another question: Let's say that you have a 290-320 ft. straight shot through a tunnel, no picking other lines and going around. What shots do people throw for this kind of shot?

If it's on the shorter side of that range, I'll throw a neutral midrange with a hyzer flip. If it's on the longer side of that range, I'll throw a straight fairway driver with a hyzer flilp. Either way I'll pick something that won't skip too much when it lands.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Mark Brunner » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:40 am

Tunnel shots are fun! Everyone will have their own comfortable way of approaching tunnel shots but I would have to agree with Blake that you dont want to turn anything over going down a tunnel because left is usually better than right!

My approach, depending on distance and how tight it is, to take a straight Roc, or one of my SE leopards and I will throw a nice low smooth 80% shot and let the disc glide down straight. I never try for too much and I never think of it as a tunnel! It is a wide open field and the shot I have to make is a low straight line drive shot and then I execute that shot.

In my opinion, throwing hyzer flips or hyzers for that matter down a tunnel that may have a low ceiling just doesnt work very well. I find it harder to control the height you want and with hyzer flips there is the risk of not putting enough on it and it will just hold a line to the left and if you put a little too much on its going to hit the right side. But I suppose its all up to the shot that you practice the most and feel comfortable doing at the time.
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:31 am

Just a touch of hyzer will keep a glide from turning over.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

garublador's response

Postby Toney » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:31 pm

I love the images on the playdg site. What viewer/software is that? That's a great way to demo a course.

Looking at those trees, I think my limited time is better spent learning a high sidearm, left to right to land right, to get over trouble than to learn a bent-back anny. I don't like bending my back to much backwards, but maybe I don't throw it right.

I also practice a shot I"ve never read about, I think. It is a high sidearm that goes right to left to land left. I throw it up at 45 degrees, with the disc angled about 45 degrees as well (sometimes 50 degrees to avoid roller angles) with tons of snap and with a very overstable disc. I travels nearly 45 to 60 degrees across the field as the overstable flatters the disc out for a flat landing. Its almost like I'm throwing 90 degrees away form my target. But it is a very wind sensitive shot. Know your environment. Has anyone thrown anything like this? In ball golf, its like putting on a VERY rolly green where you need to almost point your back to the hole. Actually, I suspect it is yet another one of those shots that I discovered, but 10,000 other people have been throwing all along.

Toney
Last edited by Toney on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toney
Noob

Postby presidio hills » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:55 pm

sounds like you're describing an anhyzer that hits the ground just before the fade portion of its flight.

i think everyone should know anhyzer and sidearm shots, personally. there's so many situations where one is better than the other...
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

high sidearm vs anhyzer

Postby Toney » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:34 pm

I suspect that's correct. It is like a very high anhyzer landing flat on the ground just before it flexes around. Except it is done with a high sidearm going right to left. Any kind of an understable disc becomes an unpredicatable roller because it won't flex out and land flat. Overstable discs will do the same if thrown at too steep of an angle and/or the wind isn't helping to push it along.

I just got back from the field across from my office, and the launch angles are more like a 45 degree upward trajectory with the disc angled about 30 degrees up from horizontal, depending on wind. It is a shallow start angle because there is some degree of turnover (high speed sidearm turn) at the start, giving about a 45 degree angle at the top of the flight. I can get the disc to travel 200 feet and almost 50 degrees across the field. Way cool. This will freak the anhyzer folks quite a bit.

Maybe I'll start a new post titled "What's the weirdest shot you throw that no one else's has thrown (but a lot of people have thrown anyway)" For example, I've been practicing a bounce putt when there are low branches between me and the basket. I aim low and angle the front of the disc high, like a free styler might putt. This putt needs a lot of spin, which breaks the spin rule for me, but works in this situation. The putt slows down this way, whereas before I would charge the basket and maybe blow way past it.

Toney
Toney
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:04 pm

I have a shot i use for getting over obstacles up to 15' high in really short distances. for instance a bush 5 feet infront of you 10' wide, 10' high. The basket is 5' feet past the bush, you have a 10' long putt but have a large barrier between you and the basket. too close for an up and down hyzer, this could carry too far past the basket. I throw a putt straight up with the top of the disc paralell with the ground. Throw it with a ton of spin and you can throw a disc straight up and it will fall straight down, and if you spin it just right you can get it to fade to have an accual run at the chains. I have accually saved par and even birdied over these kind of obstacles which can become a three putt situation.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Weebl » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:11 am

For that situation, the floating putt you're describing works if there's no wind, I am more comfortable with a mini knife hyzer putt
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:43 am

toney,

i threw a sidearm similar to which you described except it had a chance to fade for probably half of the fade portion. i was actually trying to throw a sidearm roller but i didn't do it quite right (plus it was windy) and it ended up travelling 325'+ feet anyways (as far as any throw i execute). i'm worried about someone knowing this technique before learning to throw a sidearm relatively flat with a neutral disc, however, unless you think of them as two totally different techniques, like a sidearm vs. an overhand shot (thumber or tomahawk i throw like a baseball, not a sidearm disc throw). i also believe there is a sidearm roller (released flat to flip over and roll) AND an overhand roller (similar to a tomohawk but thrown low at the ground).
the reason i see them as different shots is because i throw discs primarilly lefty backhand, but throw baseballs right handed and thus throw tomohawks, thumbers, and sidearms righty. i can also throw lefty sidearm, but not tomohawks or thumbers lefty... just like i can't throw a ball lefty. so i can throw sidearm rollers lefty or righty, but overhand rollers (or big anhyzer flex shots overhand) only righty. i figure this explains some stuff about distinct vs. overlapping techniques. sorry for rambilng :)
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Technique