Going Mental Over Putting

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Going Mental Over Putting

Postby garublador » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:47 am

We all seem to know that there's a huge mental aspect to putting. It's possible to get "off" to the point where you can't sink anything and every miss just makes it that much harder to sink the next one. When you get in this situation, what does everyone do to try and get out of it?

I was playing the other day and was in a putting funk. I started noticing that my second putt from a location that I threw after a miss always seemed to go in. Perhaps this is already a common technique, but I started thinking of each putt as a "second" putt and started sinking more putts than I normally do even when I'm putting well and it seemed a lot easier. There seemed to be less pressure and it got my mind off of my putting technique so I avoided over-thinking.

Another time I noticed that while I was playing catch with someone with an injured leg (hense less mobility) I didn't have any problems delivering the disc directly to him from outside my normal "gimme" putting distance a large percentage of the time. I had insentive to get it directly to him, but nothing bad would happen if I missed by a foot or two. I'm guessing it's just another way to take the amount of apparent pressure off the throw and to put more focus on the target rather than my technique. I've done something similar where I imagined the basket as the point where a runnig reciever in ultamate will meet up with the disc as well with similar results.

What does everyone else do, mentally to get out of a funk, or get into the right frame of mind for putting?
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:59 am

I hear ya on the second putt thing. Me and my bud that just started out a couple of months ago cant really putt worth a crap. Ive been playing for about 5 years and still havent really started to get any real putting practice in. My bud Joey thats still new gets PISSSSSED on his tho. he'll throw one, miss, and then throw a second one not even trying and make like 80% of em. So we both kinda started acting on the mindset like we had already thrown one in, Imagine the line that the disc took and watched it fall into the basket in our heads, and then took the second shot. (Which was really the first, but second mentally...DOH)

Seemed to be working pretty good most of the time. Didn't always work on some of the longer putts we had to make, but it helps somewhat.
I really needa work on my putting. If i could putt better i know i could shave 3-5 strokes off my game at our courses
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:39 pm

the "second putt always goes in" syndrome is usually a sign of being tentative during the first putt. fear will often cause you to slow down your motion and you lose release timing. the reason the second putt goes in is because you are already lined up and no fear/pressure if you miss.

when i practice putt, i take a stack of 5-6 putters and usually fire all of them within 30 seconds. the time i spend "lining up" is only to set my feet/shoulders and i don't really think about throwing the disc until i am ready to fire. in tournaments/rounds i usually will use a very minimal amount of time after stepping up to my mark before firing, the idea being i just step up and execute and don't have time to think about consequences of missing.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby DrFelatio » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:05 am

The greatest mental breakthrough I had in my putting game was realizing that it was an all-or-nothing type motion. Any hesitation or negative thoughts will end up in a missed putt. I like to throw my putts firm but with good arch. If I provide any resistance during my throw I'll feel it and know instantly that it will end up short. I have to agree with Blake, the "2nd putt always goes in" syndrome is a result of relaxation because there's absolutely no consequences if you miss (well except for you having taken a practice stroke but whatever :D ). When I do my putting drills I don't go out any farther than 35 feet or so. Most of my practice putts are within 20. The point isn't to see how far out you can make a putt but gunning it at the basket. Instead you want to work on muscle memory and mental routines that become more and more consistant so that when you step up to your putt you'll feel better about taking that stance and making that crucial shot.
DrFelatio
Noob

Postby Username » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:29 pm

The other day I was out with my friend and we ran into a veteran disc golfer who hung out and talked with us for a while. I'm a complete beginner but my friend has been playinf upwards of five years so he's been helping me out. But this guy gave the best putting advice I've received and my friend was able to improve his game from it too.

What you do is when you're at the basket look at it and choose one link on the chain and focus only on that one. Usually I'd aim for the basket itself or right in the middle but focusing in on a single link draws you into putting so much more. I know it seems like nothing, but it helped me out a lot.
Username
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:33 am

Fear makes cowards of us all. Realizing that it is a mental game is a good start. It doesn't help that many players like to trash talk while you putt; I find that I have better scores when I play alone or with my gf (which of course doesn't matter if there's no witness).

I try to putt as soon as I can. Pausing, gives me a chance to think, which will cause me to miss more so than rushing the putt.

I've kinda gone to the Larry Bird philosophy. He used to go into the gym an hour or more before the game to shoot baskets, thus, giving him the mental edge over his opponents (or himself). I used to do the same with my jump shot when I played basketball and have recently started applying it with putting though I only need a max of 30 min to get the feel I need.

As far as adjustments for wind and such, I normally know that before I even pick up my disc and lay down my mini, so I'm ready to set my feet and throw. In closing, putting becomes second nature with much practice, but if you think instead of allowing muscle memory to take over for you, adversity results.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique