Putting into HW

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putting into HW

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:47 am

For putting directly into a strong head wind, should I use a little hyzer? I kept getting flipped to the right, rather my wizard did, on one particular hole.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Smyith » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:10 pm

i have found that a lightly nose down fixes that problem, but i also always putt with a little bit of hyzer. i used and still do on occassion get lift but thats only on weak putts.
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:12 pm

I was careful to keep the nose down (happened more than once on this hole). First time the wizard had ever turned on me too. I did go to putting with my midnight buzz; I really need to get a pro D one.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:33 pm

i condone putting flat and lower than usual when putting into a headwind.

nose down usually gets smacked down.

if a wizard turns on a putt inside 30' into a headwind the disc was likely started anhyzer from the get go.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Mark Brunner » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:55 pm

I definately agree with flat putting and trying for a lower putt into a headwind. Also like blake said if you put the nose down and dont have enough height to travel the distance its definately going to come up low and short.

If there is a lot of wind, and the putt is around 20ft or less, I really have never felt that the wind made a big difference in my putt. At shorter distances, players factor the wind in too much. I have always had a small hyzer putt or a pretty flat putt.
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

wind

Postby twmccoy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:06 pm

I actually putt with a buzz or a spider in headwinds since you get lift from them. I just throw it a bit low and let the wind bring it up a little. I find regular putters to be slow and inconsistent in headwinds.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Solty » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:29 pm

i keep an old dx rhyno in my bag for HW shots....seems to work the best under 30 feet
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Goob The Noob » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:55 am

I also putt flat and add a bit more spin for stability. I find most mid range discs work well for the longer putts into the wind.
Goob The Noob
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:08 am

I was actually hoping for a short putt rather than one off to the right. Maybe I did open it up. This was happening only on hole 7 though. I wasn't thinking; I should have stuck around after the round and practiced that hole until I figured out wind and other factors.

On the previous hole, I had a nasty crosswind that would push the disc to the left. So I just aimed a little to the right of the basket. I figured this out BEFORE the round because that's the basket I take my practice putts on.

Interestingly, there are players taht carry a small pad to write down wind conditions on each hole at certain times a day. I'm not sure how this helps as it varies immensly. I was looking at someone's notes, and it would say north wind on a day, head wind, etc.

I usually make a mental note like, "careful with a hw here." I don't remember ever having a hw on this hole until that day. Or maybe I was laying the drive too short.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:00 am

I know its something thats not always possible, but I have really been working on throwing my drive to favor a downwind putt. Generally I do try to lay up right under the basket, but favoring the down wind slightly keeps you from your stray drives ending up with an upwind putt.

Its been really windy this week and I tested this based score wise, 2 rounds laying up directly under the basket, and 2 rounds trying for the down wind putt. Scores were slightly in favor to advantage of down wind putts.
Both rounds were playing in 25mph+ winds
Playing for downwind putts I scored -4 and -3
Playing for the lay up I scored........... -2 and -3

I know this isnt wind putting tips, and you are going to be faced with some headwind putts, so its good to be able to handle them.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:08 pm

Good info Kid. On this hole I normally finish to the right of the basket about 50 feet further back. But on this day, I was driving further and landing inline with the basket. The only problem was I now had to nail my comback par putt after turning my birdie putt. It's actually a good problem to have.

I'm hoping to eventually be able to lay it by the basket.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby LastBoyScout » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:17 am

Blake_T wrote:i condone putting flat and lower than usual when putting into a headwind.

nose down usually gets smacked down.

My home course is notorious for wind in the winter/spring time being as its on the lake. We get people looking to practice playing in the wind to the course during this time of the year. You have to keep the disc as flat as possible to make it have the most aerodynamic profile possible. This will help it fight the wind better. Remember that putting a disc at 5 MPH into a 15 MPH headwind is the same as it going 20 MPH. You are better off putting in half the speed and letting the headwind accelerate the disc. When you throw into a head wind, you need more spin to keep the disc stable, if you thorw with less spin, basically forcing hyzer early, the head wind will cause the disc to become more understable thus helping to keep it on a straighter path. It is something that requires playing around with to know just how much it requires. Get outside and learn it while you can.
LastBoyScout

Postby Bildo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:59 am

My homecourse is also known for very windy conditions because there is literally nothing around it to stop the wind. One of my buddies swears by the slightly nose down approach. I find that it gets smacked down like Blake said before. I tried a very different approach, i actually lower my stance and lower my release point instead of releasing at my chest or shoulders i release at the waist nose up, or completely flat depending on weight. My putters that weigh over 175, nose up, anything under flat. I find that my star avair is best in windy conditions while my super soft pro avair is better in less windy shorter putts. Both discs weigh 175 but are suprisingly different in their flight patterens. I also release with a slight anhyzer so the disc goes right and comes back left, if you can visualize that. For really short putts in heavy wind >10' i usually stick to the top over bottom flop. you place your thumb and pinky at either sides under the disc along the rim and flip it top over bottom. Very, very effective in high wind conditions for those putts you MUST make. Also i find in extreme wind that a putter with a thumb track like a Ching Tank (NEVER AN INNOVA BIRDIE) is optimal, easy to control direction and height due to the added grip. I hope this was helpful.
STARFIRE!!!!!
......Ching.......ahhhhh...
Bildo
Noob

Postby Smyith » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:24 am

the nose down with slight hyzer comes from playing with a regular frisbee. if you can do it with those you can do it with anything. but hen i think the style in which you putt makes a huge difference in the way the disc will perform.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby LastBoyScout » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:14 pm

Bildo wrote:Also i find in extreme wind that a putter with a thumb track like a Ching Tank.
Innova made all of the Ching line, and Ching now makes their own discs. This is why the Ching Military line is no longer in production. The Tank is a smaller rimmed Innova Rhyno. I prefer the Rhyno if the wind is downright hellacious. I have also used the Innova Bulldog for windy putts as well seeing as it is the same flight . The only downside on the bulldog is that it is such a thick hard plastic that unless you hit the chains dead on, the putter tends to bounce off and roll.

Of course changing you putter is the easier method that will only benifit you in the short run. You are better off using the putter you are comfortable with and learning how to putt in the wind, which is something you will have to do reguardless if you change putters anyway.

I would never recommend throwing anhyzer putts when its windy. This is setting yourself up for disaster in my opinon.
LastBoyScout

Next

Return to Technique