Plateaus

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Plateaus

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:36 am

Blake, what phenomena causes digression? Is it just lack of playing/practice time? I know I have gone through reverse plateaus. I have really only measures my raw distance a handful of times (as I don't really care about how far I can throw if it's not at a basket). But we measured it with one of those rolling things you speak of on flat ground, and it was over 400 (I don't remember the exact distance) back like in 1999 or so.

Since then I sometimes struggle throwing over 200 feet. I've currently thrown farther (I estimate about the 300 mark or so), but it's really the disc doing it, not me (either through glide, flex shots, etc). In fact, I am starting to have over throw problems on shorter holes.

I was really feeling snap back in December to the point that others were asking me what I was doing differently. All I could say was on my pull through, I kind of feel like I speed up as I release; an audible pop ensued. But, I haven't been having that same feel lately.

Is it just lack of practice time?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mark Brunner » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:20 am

Lack of play, lack of practice will always lead to some digression. Its the nature of sports :)

Also when you start incorporating new techniques or discs into your game there is always a natural tendency to digress in skill to increase your skill down the road. However this is not a very long term case for the most part and doesnt seem to fit your situation :)
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby Smyith » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:34 am

i know hwo it goes living in the midwest doesn't help, playing in snow sux.

but if you have been learning new techniques then marks right its definitly just that. just keep working on those techniques and one day you'll go out there and be amazed when it all comes together. one piece of advice though, sometimes the problem can be if you've learned a new throw, you may be unconciously incoprating some of it into your others throws, you need to seperate the them. easiest way to see this is in flight characteristics of a stable disc. when you practice in a field dont do multiple shots just practice one shot until you feel you've done that one enough then move to the other one. don't mix shots when practicing, save that for the course. i think it ends up keeping your head straight in actual play.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:56 am

Thanks for the replies guys. You guys are right. One thing I think I need to do is quite changing discs. Other than the wraith and maybe the buzz, I have the most success with discs I've had for years.

I should get to play every day next week ! yippee!

I was actually gonna travel to play in snow, but some dude from Minnesota that I met told me that it wouldn't be worth the expense.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Smyith » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:31 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:I was actually gonna travel to play in snow, but some dude from Minnesota that I met told me that it wouldn't be worth the expense.

yea snow sux to play in. most of the time out there you are lookingfor your disc. and, every time you throw you slide a little bit and the throw doesn't do wha you want. i wish i was in a place like texas and could play year round in nice weather.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby krusen » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:45 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:I was actually gonna travel to play in snow, but some dude from Minnesota that I met told me that it wouldn't be worth the expense.

I played 3 rounds in the last two weeks. Before that, I hadn't played since about October. I was definitely rusty. Even when I had good footing I was driving about 30' less than last fall. When there was snow on the tee it was less yet. I guess it may teach a person something about balance, but IMO, it's not worth traveling for.

At the very least it felt great to get out to the course. I was getting very itchy talking about DG on here all the time and not throwing.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby daevidcardiac » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:47 pm

playing in the cold sucks in general...not only do i have less accuracy
when i have sleeves on, but when its cold my shoulder seems to tighten up
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Postby bigs348 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:56 pm

Snow can suck, but as often as it has been snowing here in Jersey, it's been melting extremely quick.

Cold I don't mind playing in. It doesn't affect my play all that much (unless it's below 10 degrees or something), and I just roll my sleeve up off of my wrist.

The wind on the other hand has been killer. No matter how much I practice and think I'm getting better, the wind just keep swirling around and messing up all my shots. Even when I think I'm reading it, it's never one direction, always swirling. Damn wind...
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

wind

Postby twmccoy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:34 pm

Yeah, wind is a definite confidence killer. We get a lot of wind here and I'm sick of playing in it.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Weebl » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:48 pm

I've noticed a trend in myself where I'll change something in my throw, throw 40' farther and more accurate, then a week later it's 30' shorter than even before the technique change. I'm attributing it to musles not being used(or not much), then all of a sudden are having to move with the agility of a puma and they get tense and it messes up my whole mechanics. The past week or so has been windy as hell here in central California, great practice for me. My scores have dropped from +15 (last thursday) to +6 (today) just from playing every day for hours in this wind(The Oaks at CSU Monterey Bay).
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:58 am

I like practicing in the wind and almost perfer a slight wind over completely calm. Its rarely calm, so if anything I dont know what to do when theres not the slightest wind to take into consideration. :roll:
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:32 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:I like practicing in the wind and almost perfer a slight wind over completely calm. Its rarely calm, so if anything I dont know what to do when theres not the slightest wind to take into consideration. :roll:

Depending on the hole, throw straight at it.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique