Sidearm technique........

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Sidearm technique........

Postby Kidd_09 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:35 am

:twisted: I started out by throwing exclusively backhand, but I tried sidearm as an experiment. I had injured my rib cage muscles and I was desperate to get back out and throw before I probably should have. Backhand was to much of a strain, so I started "flicking" sidearm so that I could hurry and get back out with my friends. I throw probably 50/50 now with a few hammers when the situation calls for it. What I am wondering about is how many people throw sidearm like I do. I start out sideways to my target, then I barely rise my front foot and slide it forward. I don't do the x-step like I do when I throw backhand. I get most of distance from a pendlum like motion of my arm along with a good spin off my lead finger. I can throw between 420 to 450, 300 to 330 accurately without much strain on my body. Any comments would be welcome as I enjoy comparing notes with other players.
Kidd_09
Noob

Postby mothrows » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:09 am

I like to do a run-up when I throw sidearm for distance, but my control flicks are basically the same as you described. You are throwing some monster flicks if you're hitting 450! I wish I could toss one that far (without my arm falling off :D )
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby presidio hills » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:16 am

i like running up on sidearm shots if i need to throw it farther. you can't really do the whole "cross step behind your body, turn away from your target" thing too easily, the way you can throwing backhand. when i throw sidearm my cross step simply comes right behind my front foot... then i sort of skip and toss. my body is sideways the whole time during the steps vs. a backhand where i can face away to get more power. i'd play around with it, that's what i had to do when i first started getting into sidearm for more than approaches. good for you to throw 50/50! i think having both a killer sidearm and a killer backhand is deadly. i hope someday course design and players like you will force EVERYONE to have a strong sidearm and a strong backhand... or else you're at the bottom!
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:42 pm

I've been trying to learn the sidearm for years for right turns. I've been told that if you don't have good mechanics though, it is easier to get an injury throwing this way.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby steezo » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:21 pm

thats because people let their arm sling out in front of them trying to gain distance, which will pop your elbow and cause "tennis elbow". when learning to flick, first try and learn finesse and accuracy. your arm should make an L, where as the vertical part of the L is you upper arm from the shoulder down to the elbow, and the horizonal part of the L is your forearm and hand. learn to flick like this. then later add more flick, then later you can have your "vertical L part of your arm" drift away from the body. pratice having your elbow "glued" to your hip. your hip will move your whole upper body, and the "horizonal L part of the arm" will just turn with the hips, then you flick. Make Sure That Your Forearm Is Straight--No Wrist Over Rollover. 8)
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby LastBoyScout » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:39 am

presidio hills wrote:i like running up on sidearm shots if i need to throw it farther. you can't really do the whole "cross step behind your body, turn away from your target" thing too easily, the way you can throwing backhand. when i throw sidearm my cross step simply comes right behind my front foot... then i sort of skip and toss. my body is sideways the whole time during the steps vs. a backhand where i can face away to get more power. i'd play around with it, that's what i had to do when i first started getting into sidearm for more than approaches. good for you to throw 50/50! i think having both a killer sidearm and a killer backhand is deadly. i hope someday course design and players like you will force EVERYONE to have a strong sidearm and a strong backhand... or else you're at the bottom!

These courses you talk about are mainly courses with straight, but gapped shots. This forces left and right, backhand and sidearm peeps to be accurate. About 50% are straight and 25% right curves and 25% left curves.

Your open courses are generally the same principle but with woods or O.B.s instead of trees as in wooded courses.

My home course, granted is open for the majority of its layout, is on the lake and has the advantage of wind that changes direction given any day or time. We also have the added benefit of water hazards to add to the mix.

If you watch, your pro course designers like H. B. Clark do an awesome job of following this kind of design.
LastBoyScout

Postby LastBoyScout » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:14 pm

Played the Bowling Green Ams this past weekend and got to see some very awesome players.

The trick that I picked up is that about 85% all used a sort of x-step (very shallow) or more easily explained, a quarterback shuffle.
LastBoyScout

Postby schla104 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:44 pm

Ah throwing sidearm is how I feel most comfortable. How do you grip the disc? Personally I prefer to place one finger inside the rim and one finger on the rim. I recently have been considering and working on a backhand shot to get a little more distance but it seems like you have that under control. How do you throw sidearm so far? I can throw about 300-350 sidearm and it is very accurate for me.
I'd really love to learn how to extend that by 50 feet or more. I think my problem is I loose a little in the footwork.
schla104
Tree Magnet

Postby LastBoyScout » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:13 pm

I use the the straight index finger and bent middle finger grip.....Which apparently as I just found out is back assward compared to this picture on the innova website Image

As far as the sidearm shuffle, here is how I perform it for a right arm sidearm.

Facing forward, disc in hand, wrist cocked towards me and in front of my body to line up the shot with knees bent and bending slightly forward at the waist(Think of lining up with a bowling ball.) I take a small step with my right foot followed by a small step with my left foot almost beside my right foot (I begin swinging my arm back as I do so.) I then make a cross step (right foot going behind left) with my throwing arm reaching the apex of the reach back. I then make a left step forward and slightly to the left. This helps to make sure that I am low to the ground and keeps my elbow tucked in towards my body and allows for my hips to open fully. I find that this allows me to get the best whip effect for the sidearm.

I own the Scott Stokely videos and his sidearm technique is only good for sidearm s-curve shots or for throwing a high and hard hyzer shot.

Hope this helps you.
LastBoyScout

Return to Technique