Lock point and rip point

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Lock point and rip point

Postby didihitatree » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:45 pm

Hey, I've been reading the tips from the site and watching the videos and they've been very helpful with my putt and also with drive consistency. I've just recently started reading the forum and the posts here have been useful as well.

I've had some success extending my drive distance but the whole lock, rip, hit concept has me befuddled.

As I see it, there really seems to be two separate pivot points at different parts of the throw. The first is the wrist as it straightens out. Spin is created because the outside of the disc (ie, the left side of the disc for a RHBH throw, the side where you aren't gripping the disc) is travelling faster than the inside of the disc. However, it's not totally efficient because the pivot point is actually outside the rim of the disc-- you're pivoting around your wrist. The outside is moving faster than the inside, but the inside is moving as well.

Then there seems to be a second pivot point later where the real snap is created. This seems like it is the "rip point." The pivot axis is the edge of the disc is gripped by the thumb and a finger. At the point of release the velocity at the inner part of the disc is actually 0, because you've gripped it there and stopped it from moving while the outside is still travelling based on momentum. This generates pure spin around the pivot (rip?) point.

In fact, it seems like you can kind of extend your fingers under the disc and even use a three finger grip and push the back edge of the disc with your pinky and fourth finger-- thus imparting even more spin. I find that if I use the power grip, I'm less able to do this because I can't take advantage of my finger/hand; it's all wrist rotation.

I don't know if I explained that right. Just grip a disc between your thumb and forefinger like you were going to throw it but with your and wrist locked. Waggle your index finger and you can see you're spinning the disc without any wrist motion.

So is the throw actually sort of a two-part rolling motion that starts from wrist then into the hand and finger? Or do I just snap that wrist as hard as I can and not worry about my hand?
didihitatree
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:43 pm

you are correct in that there are two contact points, but only one really is a pivot point.

the disc releases from the lock and starts the disc ejecting from the hand.

the real force is imparted by the pad of the index finger when the wrist opens. there should be no pivot really when the disc leaves the rip finger.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby didihitatree » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:23 pm

Thanks. I think I understand now.

The pivot comes from the opening of the wrist, but I should feel it in my hand I guess. I'm not feeling it, and I think I'm trying to create it by playing around with my hand instead of concentrating on snapping my wrist open.

I think my motion is generally okay (in terms of pulling straight instead of around), but I need to focus on my timing to pop my wrist a little harder. I think I'm leaving it too late. The "crack the towel" concept is proving to be very constructive.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby Weebl » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:14 am

What helped me get my supersnap was shortening my last step in the x-step, transfering more momentum into rotation, instead of losing it while taking a big step and having my momentum go to the ground through my plant foot.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique