short putts downhill

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

short putts downhill

Postby Toney » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:02 pm

What are some tips for putting downhill under 30 feet or so? I usually blow this one, mainly because I tend to putt aggressively whenever there is trouble, and putting this way downhill leads to two shots back, even slight downhills. If I'm not blowing past the basket, I'm being too cautious and putting short.

toney
Toney
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:00 pm

if you pitch put, try strattle putting down hill. Use the same arm motion but stand perpendicular.

Im guilty of using too many styles of putts, but this works for me.
(the reason i say too many is I strattle from 35' in more less up/down hill, pitch putt to around 75' give/take, jump putt over that, stand sill drive putt, and the occasional go for it near hazard extreme hyzer jump put. lol)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

downhill putting

Postby trogdor » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:10 pm

technique - keep the disc parallel to the slope of the ground

trick - turn the putter upside down and putt with your normal putting style

I only use the trick on an extreme downhill putt.
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:57 pm

Do you ever have problems with your putter rolling when putted down a steep hill putting upside down (like when 4 at badlands is on the hill?)

The keeping the disc parrallel is something I didnt mention but something I do :roll:
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby presidio hills » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:00 pm

i just aim for the front of the tray and try to hit where the chain ring meets the bottom of the basket... then i usually hit the middle of the chains instead. i like to straddle when i can't get good balance on a slope, too.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:01 am

I use a straddle putt at times to keep it strong in case I have to straddle around an obstacle.

For short putts down hill, I bend my right knee more so that I am lower. Many times, I will even go down on one knee: the right one facing the basket, the left leg off to my left (not bent). This is a comfortable position for me. I imagine going down on one knee, like proposing, would be just as good (that is not comfortable for me).

I do this because on down hill putts I normally putt to high. This only works on short putts though. I would think 30 ft is about the limit as there is no transfer of weight.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:33 am

For steeper downhill putts I aim to drop the disc in the basket rather than trying to hit the chains. I'm not very good at it, but when I miss it leaves me a drop in.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby trogdor » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:13 pm

[quote="Thatdirtykid"]Do you ever have problems with your putter rolling when putted down a steep hill putting upside down (like when 4 at badlands is on the hill?)/quote]

[real life off]
Roll? You mean out of the basket?!?!
[/real live off]

Actually, no more so than normal. I'm putting with an Arrow now, and it doesn't really roll. I used to putt with a Rhyno. It didn't matter how you putt, it was very likely to roll.
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby sleepy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:31 pm

trogdor wrote:I used to putt with a Rhyno. It didn't matter how you putt, it was very likely to roll.

Really? I thought Rhynos were supposed to be anti-roll... :?

Was it Pro or DX? What weight was it?

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin

Postby trogdor » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:05 pm

Yeah, any time I hit the side of the basket on a hill it was time to panic with Rhynos.

I used mostly DX ~ 170, but had similar results with my soft rhyno.
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:23 pm

yeah, nothing stops like an arrow.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Solty » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:13 pm

86 softie :)
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby roadkill » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:24 pm

mikesolt wrote:86 softie :)

I'll second that the 86 is less likely to roll than many others.

Having said that, I believe your putting style has far more to do with the liklihood of a disc rolling than the mold of the disc you're using.

Discs that land with a hyzer angle have a far greater chance of rolling than discs that land flat. If you experience frequent (one or more times per round) rollaways consider modyifying your putt so your disc descends with less (or ideally no) hyzer.

I agree that straddle putting can be effective in controlling your distance with fast downhill putts.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby sleepy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:53 pm

roadkill wrote:Discs that land with a hyzer angle have a far greater chance of rolling than discs that land flat.

That explains a lot, considering I short-arm/pitch putt with a slight hyzer. :roll:

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Weebl » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:51 pm

Arrow, most versitile putter/disc ever made. Once my money putter breaks on me, I'm getting me a stack of Arrows...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Technique