Need help putting uphill

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Need help putting uphill

Postby adidadg » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:01 pm

any tips for those uphill putts? For me they often start out looking good, then just drop short or hyzer off almost every time. I am a decent putter, but this is something Ive always struggled with. When I try to add some power to compensate for the incline, I often push it off to the right of the hole.

Is there any technique tips anyone has? what is the most desireable flight path for an uphill putt (line drive, hyzer route, loft putt)?
adidadg

Postby Blake_T » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:05 pm

uphill putts are kind of nice in that there is diminished repercussions for missing long.

it is easier to putt uphill with an anhyzer release as this will compensate for the inherent nose up that occurs when throwing it up hill.

the other thing you can do is to take more of a ron russell "throw in" style of putt on these ones.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby adidadg » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:13 pm

I know what you mean about there being little consequences on most uphill putts, but even with that added confidence you get I still seem to miss low or to the right. There are a couple holes round here that are sharp uphill to a perched basket, with OB behind.

I'll give the anhyzer a try, is there any advantage to throwing straddle or staggered on these?

My biggest problem probably is I dont get to practice these too often.
adidadg

Putting uphil

Postby Toney » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:34 pm

The consenus seems to be in this and the downhill put thread is to keep the disc parallel to the ground. The natural tendency is to use a putting style for flat putts, but this tends to orient the disc too high or too low on downhill or uphill putts, respectively.

Also, use a straddle style, as Ken Climo does on these, I guess because getting one foot ahead of the other places you in an awhward position--unless you are using a Ron Russel throwing position, as Blake suggests.

Too practice, find a tree on a hill in your local park (doesn't have to be a disc golf park), and start throwing all around it with different styles.

Nevertheless, I have problems, too. For some reason, one basket is buried in the ground about 5 inches shorter than it should be, so it becomes like a downhill putt. It drives me insane, I can't hit it at 15 feet, and sometimes when I do, perfect putts bounce off the chains and drop out. Putts hit the chain in the center with a strong sound, no glancing, and then I stare at it on the ground. Arrrrrrrghhhh.

Toney
Toney
Noob

Postby jdawg4422 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:18 pm

what helps me most is I aim about a foot or so higher than normal.

Jason
jdawg4422
Noob

Postby presidio hills » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:19 pm

i totally agree with blake's suggestion to putt with anhyzer, as well as the dude above me who says 'aim higher'. one more thing to add; make sure you get your weight over the front foot... which can be tricky if you're on an incline. if you can't get into a position to push off your back foot then start with all your weight on your front foot, or go to a stradle stance (which is my last resort if it's a significant uphill putt... can't get enough power).
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby didihitatree » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 pm

Putting is the best part of my game (driving is the worst, especially driving for distance).

There's a course near me where there is one basket that's up a few feet up on the side of a pretty steep hill. So most of the time you are standing flat but the angle of your throw is somewhat extreme. Most people do not have a problem with that hole.

There's another hole where the incline is less but you have to throw on the hill. People end up left because of fade or they drop it short. So I think the height of the basket is not really a big deal. It's the incline.

Just focus on getting the weight transfer correct and realize you will need a bit more oomph. Don't do it with your arm or hands though, use more leg and body just the way you would do if you were flat but the putt were four or five feet longer.

I find that when I'm throwing right, I can throw pretty much straight at the basket anywhere inside of 30 feet. And if I miss short I hit the pole. If my putt fades left or goes right because I tried to throw it hard, I usually take it as a sign of bad technique rather than bad aim.
didihitatree
Noob

Uphill Putting

Postby trogdor » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:13 pm

I like to loft putt when putting uphill. Also, unlike putting downhill, I like to keep the disc flat, not parallel with the ground.
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:26 am

Careful with angle on the disc. I've seen players putt anhyzer and have the disc roll back down.

Uphill putts are the easiest for me. The only thing that I can add is that I see many leave the nose up.

Even though I use both a pitch and a straddle putt (mainly for obstacles), I do not straddle putt here. I just aim right below the top of the basket, a little to the right and flat (no nose up or nose down). It seems to me you can go after these hard.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique