Disc specific grip question

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc specific grip question

Postby discmonkey42 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:17 pm

I throw a Sabre every once in a while, but not a whole lot. I hear it should be a better disc for me and I want to get better at throwing it. The reason I don't throw it that much is that when I grip it, the extra rise in the dome and the steep angle towards the rim make it sit funny in my hand. The tall top of the disc pushes its outer edge downward and keeps it from having the same orientation in my hand the rest of my discs have. It's almost like if I was gripping one of my mids normally and then someone pushed a big wedge between the flight plate and the base of my hand pushing the disc's edge down. This is causing a lot of flutter in my throw with this disc in addition to it just not feeling all that comfortable in my hand. It is not coming out of my hand at an angle that is consistent with the line of the throw. My other discs don't flutter at all even when powered and come out smooth, so I really think it is grip related. What am I doing wrong??? I use a power grip with everything but my wizard from 275 and in. I've tried the fan/control grip I use with the wizard on the Sabre, but kinda have the same problem. Blake, I'm sure you've thrown them, what's the deal?
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby garublador » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:18 am

Let me know if you figure anything out. I was having the same problem with them, and Hybrids, this last weekend.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:16 am

Yes, the Hybrid too. The Blaze is barely OK, but definitely more used than my Sabres since I got it. Really weird since when I first got them, it wasn't so much of a problem.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:06 am

I played my first round after several months on Saturday, so I'm still getting back into the swing of things. I've always had this problem with these discs, though. I'll agree that it's less of an issue with the Blaze, though.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:20 am

I'm no expert, but how about a fan grip. This is how I've been throwing my buzz and demon: 1st and pinky curled around the rim with index and middle splayed out.

My demon surprises me. Just about the time that I am convinced I can take it out of the bag, it does something to stay. I threw it into a 35mph headwind, and it sailed for good D then faded left, finishing about 10 feet to the right of the basket.

Everything else, avenger, predator, wraith, got turned here. I've been toying around with the idea of getting a wasp, but the way my demon has broken in, I don't need one.
Last edited by TexasOutlaw on Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:39 pm

You gotta try an E Spirit for wind (or for strong wind, an E Speed Demon). The speed demon will not turn over, into any wind, under any circumstances, period. With the Speed Demon, Demon, and Wizard, I can play in the heaviest of winds and every shot is controllable.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Postby LastBoyScout » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:12 pm

Fan Grip as TexasOutlaw says, or a straight on power grip. It looks like your making a fist but with your thumb pointing towards the center of the disc. Works great for driving with the new Gateway Odyssey (Its a funky shaped disc, but according to a gateway dude (i think it was anyway) 375+ feet drives, awesome approach disc, and the glow version has more glow dye than any other manufacturer) which is really thick and bigger than anything on the market right now..... `cept maybe an ultimate disc.
LastBoyScout

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:40 am

concentrate on finishing with an open wrist.

really domey discs are often more sensitive to dips that may occur in your swing plane.

sabres aren't really that much deeper than most putters/mids. if you don't have the problem there, it is probably a torque issue. or treat the sabre like you are throwing a midrange and work from there.

i've had griplock problems with deeper discs but rarely flutter problems
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:01 am

Take whatever disc you're having trouble with, line up the edge of the rim along the seam in your hand (from between middle/index finger and the base of your palm) then spread your 3 lock-point fingers under the flight plate, slowly curl them towards your palm till your finger tips rest on the inside of the rim. Now (the disc sould not move much, if at all off this plane on your palm) curl your rip finger under the rim to get your finger pad on the inside of the rim, you want this little bit of skin on the palm to push ontop of the rim to keep the nose down. The disc should have a firm feeling in your hand if done right, and very little force is needed if at all to keep it there. I do this, and it allows for the most relaxed grip producing the most snap yet very forgiving on timing.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:34 pm

Weebl,

Thank you. The pic did it for me. That really locks the disc into the right orientation for me. Got some good throws off today. Didn't use it in leagues, but might next week.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kling » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:58 am

Just recently I started getting major flutter throwing, but just on rocs, making them freaking understable. Very annoying. Guess they are the most domey discs among the ones I throw, so there could be dips in the swing plane as Blake suggests.
kling
Noob

Postby LastBoyScout » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:59 am

yeah, your definately getting off axis torque. check your grip and work on a smooth clean release. You may have to slow way down and get in a groove in order to speed back up.
LastBoyScout

Postby kling » Sat May 20, 2006 12:06 pm

I filmed myself driving today in 60fps and just lookad at it. Sheesh it's horrible to watch :)
My pull back is to high (axle high), so I compensate this by pulling the disc down in the middle of the pulling through (chest high). At this point i hold the disc in a 30 degree angle pointing downwards :shock: From this point to the rip I keep my arm in about the same level but I change the angle of the disc with my hand to a normal throwing angle.
The fluttering of the disc is very obvious as it has different horizontal angels frame by frame leaving the hand.
Man do I have some work to do.
I will start slowing down and try to lower my reach back and see if this helps. Keep filming myself of course. :roll:
kling
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat May 20, 2006 12:36 pm

slowing down is never a bad Idea, a slow fluid motion will yield much greater accuracy, control and distance over a fast motion thats not very smooth or fluid.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby LastBoyScout » Sat May 20, 2006 11:18 pm

I find on my long D drives that I can really go all out on I have a very fast and hard run up... until I land on my pivot foot to start the reach back. By doing this I am able to be fully extended to the point that without that serious forward momentum I would not be able to get my weight transferred forward to throw. This is something that I have been watching footage of Barry Schultz doing and I really have seen it to work well. The only way that you can obtain a throw like this is to slow things down. When I throw my normal throw, people at the course ask how I get that kind of power and distance without trying hard. You need to focus on getting that foot to feel coordination going. When I feel that I have stepped just right and have that effortless lean back and weight shift, I know im about to uncork on a shot. My run up is now more of a slow walk up. Smooth and fluid. Great reach back and pushing off with my toes, which turn legs, which turn my hips, which turns my lower torso, which turns my upper torso. By this time I have so much whip and acceleration going through my body, my arm just acts like a whip.

Its late, Im rambling....

P.S. I am practicing with a 150 class wraith to find additional snap. Im getting better at not flipping the disc into anhyzer, but still getting the same distance from a flat throw as if the disc had flipped. Its hard work, but the long term is what im after.

Good Luck.
LastBoyScout

Return to Technique