List of Grips with Pictures. Look Here First!!!

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: List of Grips with Pictures. Look Here First!!!

Postby NoLifeLeft » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:59 am

Yeah, I dug up this thread from Blake.(yay for working search function)http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17581&p=266780&hilit=thumb#p266780
This is exactly what I stumbled on in the field yesterday.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Unfcknblvbl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Unfcknblvbl
Noob

Postby Banjar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:25 pm

on http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/daves-tips/daves-grip-tips.html Dave writes this:

For all driving grips you need a strong grip as the strength of the grip determines how far you can throw. Grip the disc firmly, placing maximum pressure between the base of the thumb (not thumb pad) and forefingers. Pressing down on the flight plate with the thumb pad will help to orient the disc.

I need a clarification here: Where exactly is the base of the thumb? I've always tried to pinch the pad/tip of my thumb opposite of where the index finger wraps around the rim. Am I doing it wrong then? I guess this explains why i always feel it rip of my middle finger more than my index finger...
I hereby commit myself to actually do the drills, rather than just trying them for a few times and expect results.
Banjar
Noob

Favorite Disc: changes daily..

Postby JR » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:04 pm

Base of the thumb is the meatu thick part toward the wrist from the thumb. Beside the palm to wrist area. Just toward the fingers from the wrist joint when you look at your palm. It's the old 70/30 grip strength rule. That is initially nothing of the pressure comes from the pad of the thumb in that grip and the base of the thumb does the work. And once the disc starts to pivot leaving the palm you'll pinch with the thumb and the index finger at the point where you get the best results. That may be different for different people. Nerve speed etc.

Avery Jenkins goes the opposite way by not always touching the disc with the base of the thumb at all. That takes way more strength to pull off and he has it. Not everyone does. Avery says that not having the base of the thumb on the flight plate reduces friction once the disc pivots.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Sean40474 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:41 pm

NoLifeLeft wrote:A lot of the grip resources focus mostly on finger placement, what about the effects of thumb placement?
At the beginning of the year, I was using too much of the base of my thumb so I switched to the Avery thumb positioning and that fixed a lot of griplock issues. Yesterday I experimented with moving my thumb a bit further into the flight plate and found it has given me more wrist action and nose down. Is that normal or a sign I'm doing something wrong?

I just realized this yesterday myself and has helped me gain more distance, but I'm not sure that is the correct way. I don't want to limit myself now and train bad habits if this method isn't going to yield the most potential.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby JR » Thu May 12, 2011 4:01 am

In theory a non slipped throw thumb forward ahead of the index finger should help to keep the nose down well. Non slipped is the rub. If you are like me and get the micro slip a little later by moving the thumb to the flight plate that will pivot the disc a little more. Not fully. Those that get good disc pivots have told that it really drops the front of the disc down. When the disc leaves the fingers at something like 5 o'clock or possibly even later. The correct response would be to train hand and finger strength with emphasis on the thumb. If you look at it like there is only one thumb opposing four fingers it's easy to see why the thumb determines the grip strength and whether the disc slips or not. Of course you want to train the other fingers too and middle and index fingers are the next most important fingers after the thumb.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Sean40474 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:31 am

That is going to take a lot of work then as feel like there is NO grip strength and my distance suffers madly.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby DiscSlinger » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:24 am

Link is broken... :cry:
DiscSlinger
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Wraith

Postby mshelton » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:59 am

If you're referring to the one in the first post then you can find it here;

http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/daves-t ... -tips.html
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Postby bfowler » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:34 pm

I've just begun working on redoing my drive trying to find the "Hit" and I stumbled upon a solution to a problem I was having with my grip. My rip point had been my middle finger but it kept popping badly off that finger. I couldn't get it to rotate around it round. I found that I was putting way too much grip pressure from the tip of my middle and ring finger into my palm. For no reason at all beside reading a post by Blake (I think) on here about gripping using the first two fingers I did that but that wasn't the difference maker. When I've tried that before it didn't help. The big thing I changed is the pressure point. I gripped with my index finger but I used the side of my index finger between the 1st and 2nd knuckle pressing up against the bottom of the rim. My thumb pad is just a bit out in front of it. When I threw I got 2 or 3 times the spin on my discs and my 1.7 Avenger and 1.6 Surge were doing dead straight for about 100 feet longer before they usually start their fade.

Before I was "pressing" the disc into the seam of my hand. Today i was "pinching" the disc in between my index finger and thumb. I still use a traditional power grip with my middle and ring finger pressing into my palm and my pinky just a bit on the inside rim. Can't wait to experiment with it some more tomorrow. I did this literally on my 2nd to last throw of the day with the sun setting fast.
bfowler
Noob

Previous

Return to Technique