Putting Practice tips from the Bowling Green Ams....

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Did you find this information helpful?

Yes
86%
No
No votes
Somewhat
14%

Total votes : 7

Postby presidio hills » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:23 pm

Pagan wrote:Do tell! I seem to have trouble getting over my front leg. What "trick" did ya learn to do this?

Pagan

make sure you follow through with your body... assuming you throw rhbh; after your follow through your body should be sideways, left leg should be in front, left arm having just swung on the same plane your throw was on.
i had issues with this for a long time... the thing i focused on was easing up on my throw because when i tried to really rip it my last step was too big which makes it REALLY hard to get over your front foot. i think the culprit is the big last step, but how i dealt with it was throw easier, in other words. i see A LOT of people with weak follow throughs due to a huge last step... strong arming the disc with terrible not smooth form (more rec. style players, btw)
also, practice throwing from a stand still and find how narrow your stance needs to be to execute the follow through i explained above. this will improve smoothness, accuracy, and power.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby trogdor » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:40 pm

That big last step KILLS my drives. For me, big last step = nose up, no power lawn dart piece of (plastic).

When I'm not driving well, the first thing I try to think about is slowing down and shortening my approach.
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby sleepy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:32 pm

presidio hills wrote:
make sure you follow through with your body... assuming you throw rhbh; after your follow through your body should be sideways, left leg should be in front, left arm having just swung on the same plane your throw was on.
i had issues with this for a long time... the thing i focused on was easing up on my throw because when i tried to really rip it my last step was too big which makes it REALLY hard to get over your front foot. i think the culprit is the big last step, but how i dealt with it was throw easier, in other words. i see A LOT of people with weak follow throughs due to a huge last step... strong arming the disc with terrible not smooth form (more rec. style players, btw)
also, practice throwing from a stand still and find how narrow your stance needs to be to execute the follow through i explained above. this will improve smoothness, accuracy, and power.

That 'big last step' thing makes a ton of sense...thanks! Looks like it's time for more field work. :)

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby LastBoyScout » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:34 pm

Only time that a big last step is needed is when you are doing a run up, and have enough forward momentum to really get over your front foot. Maybe its more of a last jumping leap lol.
LastBoyScout

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:27 pm

:idea: Lightbulb just went off. Thanks. :D
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Previous

Return to Technique