how much does your wrist move?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

how much does your wrist move?

Postby Tim H » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:41 am

When you throw RHBH, how much does your wrist move? Does your wrist come to a complete and hard stop or does it flow naturally? I'm trying to get a better understanding of wrist roll and I'm not quite getting it. I played last night for the first time in two weeks and my timing was way off :? :x Anyway, just curious as to what other people felt when they threw.
Tim H
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:46 am

Let me see if I can explain this; I'm sitting here doing the motion trying to describe it. When you throw, the wrist just flicks (left to right). Wrist roll: instead of just cocking the wrist and releasing, the back of the hand kind of rolls upwards. Many times it is caused by those trying to turn the disc over.

Extreme cases that i've seen sometimes the inside of the forearm rotates and finishes up. I see this with ppl trying to throw annhyzers.

I hope that makes sense; probably should of let someone like Blake explain it. I simply don't have the vocabulary.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:37 pm

for a clean throw the wrist should only move on a plane parallel to the forearm.

idealized mechanics puts the wrist in the neutral position for much of the throw, a very brief and slight period in the "cocked" position, and finishing in the "open" position.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby roadkill » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:47 pm

Your wrist should hinge and unhinge. (cock and release)

Rolling of your wrist is when you rotate your wrist clockwise (rhbh) which will leave your palm facing skyward.

This wrist rolling is fine in backhand rolling and steep anhyzers. However you should not roll your wrist in standard airshots. I believe many golfers today have more wrist roll problems because of the availibility of overstable discs which can mask or compensate for this problem.

If you learn to throw understable discs well you will be forced to eliminate wrist roll.

Visualize striking something (heavy bag,mother-inlaw,etc) with the back of your hand just after release. Maybe this visualization trick may help.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Weebl » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:04 am

take all your putters and midrange and practice throwing 150'-200' upshots, concentrating on having your thumb pointing directly away from you, slightly up. This will enforce no wrist rolling, and it's easier to throw 100 150'-200' upshots, than 100 350'+ drives =P
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique