technique tips

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

technique tips

Postby bradktn » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:44 pm

I have been playing seriously for about a year now, and have really been bitten by the bug. I play a couple of times a week with practice in between. My form has evolved and devolved, but I have recently gone back to the X-step, which has added some distance to my drives. I practice at a lined football field, and can hit 300 feet pretty consistently if I am throwing well. Other days, though, I am all over the place, turning everything over. Problem is I don't really know what I am doing differently! Its frustrating. I am 44, rhbh, and mostly throw a teebird and a roadrunner for long right hand drives. I'm kind of old school, don't change disks a lot.

When I played ball golf, I got a lot out of exercises or practice aids designed to help develop the feel for the golf swing. Are there such things for DG? The friend I play with is rhfh, so he is not really able to critique much. Any suggestions? My goal this year to play my home course at even par, (My current best is 8 over)
bradktn
Noob

Postby Aaron_D » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:00 pm

I have never thrown a roadrunner, but I do use teebirds as my control drivers (shots less that 325-350') and they will flip on you if you do a number of things.

A. If you throw them perfectly fat but with too much snap they will flip.
B. If you thrown them into a headwind they will flip VERY easily.
C. This one is obvious, but if you throw them without the "wrist down" grip to keep the plane of the disc parallel to your forearm then they wont be released flat but with some anhyzer and thus...flip even when not thrown very hard)
D. This disc cant recover from even a little off axis torque, so a nice clean release is necessary.

Good luck.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Go light

Postby roadkill » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:50 pm

Every now and then practice with ultra-light discs like 140-150 grams.

I've found that heavy discs tend to mask technique problems. The lighter weight discs help me to rediscover rythmn and smoothness. You get feedback if you're out of synch (your disc will turnover if you're jerky or have wrist roll).
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Weebl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:09 pm

Get a Cobra, throw it following blakes articles till you break 325' with it. Another route is getting down to basics. Throw with no x-step for now, at least while practicing. Check Blakes Article's on grips, get your favorite grip all aligned and dandy. Make sure to close your hips and shoulders on your reachback, and here's the part that is hard to get initially... Try to have a relaxed body, lead with your plant foot. Your hips should open just enough to keep balance while your foot plants, after your foot plants your shoulder should START rotating, think of your body as a whip and coiling up like such builds up that power in potential energy. The point where you want to focus your power on is when the disc has just passed your chest on your pull through. Don't forget to follow through!
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique