Putter distance vs driver distance

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putter distance vs driver distance

Postby DiscCrusher » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:29 am

I've finally gotten to the point in my game where my distance is consistent and I'm not fluctuating 30 ft. from day to day. I now average 315-325' with my drivers. I've been trying to push out my putters longer and longer and I can consistently break 270' and hitting up to 310' with my aviars. My good drives with wraiths and starfires are getting out to 330'-340'. I'm just curious how far you guys are throwing your putters compared to your drivers and If I should consider changing my driving approach.
Basically my drives now are all hyzers. I do my best to never have my disc flip up past flat and I'm very happy doing this because my accuracy has gotten very good. However there are a few wide open holes on my home course where an extra 30 feet puts my in birdy range and I have only birdied them by throwing rollers. Throwing hyzerflip s-curves with a beast or starfire or attempting to throw big anhyzers with a flash haven't added any considerable distance for me and only caused a loss in accuracy. One thing I'm considering is that my tecnique is just more solid throwing hyzers and that is why I'm good with putters. Anyway any comments are welcome about how you do with anny vs. hyzer or putters vs. drivers.
Also I'll say that I'm already happy to be throwing as far as I do, a dozen holes on my home course became birdie holes by increasing my distance from 270' -320' ft. , but I'm still wanting more.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:28 am

sounds like you are pulling up around 30-50' short with those drivers based on your putter D.

2 things you can try:
1) finding lines by throwing slower drivers 330+
2) work with faster drivers and find lines/angles to go more like 360+

you will likely have to turn a starfire and wraith over from a flat throw or hyzer line to get max d.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby DiscCrusher » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:52 am

This is kinda what I thought, I like the 1st suggestion you made because I have trouble throwing my gazzelle out much past my putter. I think I probably need more height and nose down on my anhyzers than I'm accustomed to. Thanks for the tip I'll let you know how this works out for me.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:40 am

assuming it is a dx gazelle, you can probbaly do it without using an anhyzer...

unless you are throwing your putter with anhyzer... if that is the case, you are just hitting the right distance line with the putter and throwing it about 50' farther than you "should" be able to
Blake_T

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:12 pm

if youre still looking for comparision Im throwing

putters 250' and in (can get them over 250, but dont like pushing them that hard)
mids 250'-325' (can get them a bit further, but loose that consistacny)
slow driver 300'-400'
faster driver 400'+
Last edited by Thatdirtykid on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby DiscCrusher » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:38 pm

My putter drives are pure hyzers, But my gazzelle is KCPro, it just doesn't have much glide, it makes it really hard to get good D with it.

Thatdirtykid it's interesting how far you are driving with your different discs. I don't really throw midrange discs anymore, just putt n approach or drivers, but I use my gazzelle as an inbetweener. Thanks for your comments.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:46 pm

the average plateau and corresponding D on a golf line:

putter 250-270' (assuming big bead aviar, magnet, wizard, classic roc, banger, or challenger)
midrange 270-300' (assuming roc, buzz, wasp, mrv, coyote, element x)
slow driver 300-350'
fast driver 340-380'
Blake_T

Postby DiscCrusher » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:21 am

My Drives are usuallysomething like this
270-310 Aviar PnA
300-315 KCPRO Gazzelle
310-325 Champ TeeBird
320-350 Pro Starfire, Pro Wraith, Dx Beast

I had quite a few of my better drives today . I think alot of why I haven't been getting quite the distance on average with my drivers that I'm capable of is because I often change my driving tecnique to a straight reachback when throwing drivers because I still feel more confident for some reason. I switch back and forth because I have always had problems with consistency and since I have learned both ways well, It helps to be able to switch to tighten up my form if I'm having an off day. But I'm gonna try sticking to bent arm for all drives like I do my putters for a little while and see if that will help me bring my average up to my long drives.

The other thing I notice about my distances with different discs is that mine are not very spaced out, I think this has alot to do with me throwing hyzers that only flatten and not taking advantage of extra D from a flex. But I guess I'll see how sticking to the bent elbow method works for me using my slower drivers before I start trying new lines.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:40 am

the added d you get from a driver for turning it over depends a lot on the actual disc.

teebirds, jls, and cyclones gain very little distance for being turned over. discs like orcs, wraiths, xl, etc. will gain quite a bit.
Blake_T

Postby roadkill » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:22 am

DiscCrusher wrote:I think I probably need more height and nose down on my anhyzers than I'm accustomed to.

I suspect this point is key. A Flash thrown very high nose down and turned over will glide a very long way, but throw it low or at moderate heigth and it goes nowhere.

I find DX plastic to have much greater glide than the high tech versions of the same mold. Champ t-bird= very little glide, Dx t-bird = huge glide.

One forgotten slower disc that goes an incredible long way when turned over is the elite x XS. Chris Max Voight set the distance record with this disc about 5 yrs ago. I've had some incredibly long D shots with it. I don't carry it anymore because they beat up easily but in an open field with no wind or slight tailwind they go a mile when turned over.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:47 pm

I think they (XS) fly very much like valks...

DiscCrusher wrote:
I think I probably need more height and nose down on my anhyzers than I'm accustomed to.

what discs are you throwing? If youre having trouble getting a disc to hold an anny, or a long turn in a distance shot, throw a less stable slower d driver, xs or valk comes to mind.
theyre easy to turn, and they hold their turn and fly a long ways. if youre getting too much turn, throw them with a touch of hyzer, and they will fly far and be a bit more predictable
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby DiscCrusher » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:39 pm

It's not that I can't get a disc to hold a turn, I can throw hyzer flip s-curves with beasts and starfires but I just migrated to hyzers because I started valuing accuracy more and wasn't seeing much of a difference in distance. I do have a problem throwing big sky distance anhyzers though and it is that I usually either don't get them high enough and they turn into the ground, or I throw them too high and they do stall and drop out without a big glide. Really I think it just comes down to practice because I don't attempt this shot much, but I was curious if it was really worth it for the extra distance. After this thread and the good responses I'm thinking it will definately benifit me to practice this shot for the long wide open holes. I may even buy A dx Valk for this shot because of the respones and my own experiences using them for hyzer flips in the past. They can flip up and hold a line for what seems like forever.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:12 pm

alright, I would say it may just be a limited experience with the shot. Its one ive been working on a bit lately (its one I never needed much, but am finding a need now that I can throw far enough to reach some holes i couldnt before), something that may help is try learning sky rollers, and working them from that end instead of tuning them from an air shot line.
If I throw a sabre or x avenger like I would a sky roller, not as much anny, but similar arm motions you will find yourself throwing some monster annys.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:13 pm

Maybe I need to brush up on disc golf terms... doesn't sky roller mean throwing with hyzer, letting it flip to flat, then turn over to roll? Hitting the ground ~350 out?
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:36 pm

sky roller is released very anhyzer and high.

it should land on the same angle you released it with.
Blake_T

Return to Technique