Finger and hand size and disc selection.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Finger and hand size and disc selection.

Postby Darklord » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:26 am

Blake and members,

What are some general guidelines you could give regarding finger and hand size as it pertains to grip and disc selection? I have fairly small hands and somewhat stiff fingers. I think this has caused me some trouble producing decent snap with the four finger power grip. Today , I dropped my little finger to under the rim instead of inside , and this seems to help.(pretty sore index finger).
Darklord
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:39 am

i have small hands and struggle with wider rims, but i have made grip adjustments to compensate for this as there is no indication they will be returning to narrower rims anytime soon. the adjustment was more in the hand rather than the number of fingers on the rim.

switching to a fan grip can also help with this.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby sleepy » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:40 pm

I too have small hands, and have found some success with taking my little finger outside of the rim when using the power grip. I've gone so far as to curl my little finger into my palm.

I am experimenting with returning my little finger to the rim, both under it like a traditional power grip, and on it as Darklord mentioned. I'm trying to get some better grip/snap on my drives without increasing my chances of grip-locking the disc, which I am rather prone to do... :roll:

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Return to Technique