Couple longer slow turnover drives

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Couple longer slow turnover drives

Postby Pagan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:06 pm

Today while playing a quick game with my wife I broke my usual distance by a considerable bit a few times. Once was indeed as I planned the drive. However, the other two were in all honesty a mistake. To elaborate; I threw my beat Z Xs (174grams) and it turned over AGAINST a right to left wind about 15mph and it sailed at least 320 feet across the fairway, blowing over the road and into the middle of the fairway of the next hole. In fact thinking it was lost in the river I reteed. What I dont understand is why this turnover drive sailed soo far? I've noticed several times in past on same hole that a late release and turnover seem to fly much further than my normal 275 or so.
For further information the drive was due North, with a Wind out of the ENE about 15 to 20 mph.

Anyone have any explanations or perhaps advice? I'd love to get my consist distance up to 320 feet Maybee this is a follow through, or timing issue?
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby roadkill » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:45 pm

I've had similar experiences time to time.

Your timing was probably a little off of what you were going for which led to a later than planned release. This so called late release took advantage of some hidden power you had all along and you accidentally stumbled upon it.

I've found that if you delay your snap you get more whip action and therefore more power. Most players (myself included) have a tendency to begin their forward swing too quickly and a lot of the energy is wasted prior to the hit (release point).

I may not be the best at puting the concept into words, in any case it's something you learn by doing yourself and is hard to teach with words alone.

The best way to figure it out is go to an open field free from distractions, OB and pedestrians and experiment with different tempos and release points. This is always time well spent because you find ways to tweak your form and improve power and/or consistency.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:26 am

in that case, the wind pushed the nose down but you were high enough up to have a substantial air pocket to continue penetrating/gliding late in the flight when you normally stall out late (that explains the 275 to 325 jump).

as for griplocks that go a long ways... for players with very little snap, late release generally helps them get a bigger snap transfer. for a straight line snap transfer, there has to be an abrupt stop of the wrist (in the forward direction) to start the tendon bounce and finishing with an open wrist to transfer the tendon force into the rim, which is snap.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Pagan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:57 pm

Blake_T wrote:in that case, the wind pushed the nose down but you were high enough up to have a substantial air pocket to continue penetrating/gliding late in the flight when you normally stall out late (that explains the 275 to 325 jump).

as for griplocks that go a long ways... for players with very little snap, late release generally helps them get a bigger snap transfer. for a straight line snap transfer, there has to be an abrupt stop of the wrist (in the forward direction) to start the tendon bounce and finishing with an open wrist to transfer the tendon force into the rim, which is snap.

So this means that I usually dont have enough forward motion to snap the disk out at a high enough velocity to carry longer distances. I should work on my snap adusting my form to get more wrist snap???
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:30 pm

have to work on timing your finish with wrist extension.

btw, my video clip on my bent elbow 2 article is wrong for tendon bounce.

chances are you are coming too much around your body and not enough straight through at the finish.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Pagan » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:29 pm

Blake_T wrote:have to work on timing your finish with wrist extension.

btw, my video clip on my bent elbow 2 article is wrong for tendon bounce.

chances are you are coming too much around your body and not enough straight through at the finish.

Most helpful! Yesterday was the first day of leagues here and a couple more experienced and better players got a chance to watch my form. I asked them to please offer any suggestions and critique my form. THey both stated that I have great form but just need to follow through more and power through the release to add more distance.

First off a BIG THANK YOU to Blake T and everyone else who has patiently answered questions here! My game has really improved due to this advice! I FINALLY finished below par!!

Now to reread some follow through threads...
Pagan
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Return to Technique