wearing a glove?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

wearing a glove?

Postby Darklord » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:39 pm

Blake and members,

Today I practiced my tee shots with an old batting glove from my softball days. I was not expecting anything significant to come from this except for maybe some erratic shots. What I actually got was a more consistent release, more snap, better accuracy, and more distance, and less finger soreness. These are all good things I think. Why is it then that more people do not play with gloves? I'm reasonably certain that they are legal in tournament play. This is particularly appealling to me since I sometimes get badly cracked knuckles after frequent play. Taping helps but many times will not stay in place or it will affect the flex of the finger. What is your take on using gloves? :twisted:
Darklord
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:44 pm

gloves = nasty tan lines

hehe, tape does that too though :P

i have extremely dry hands and end up with cracking problems on callouses due to dryness.

if your cracking is more due to friction, that could be a problem with your grip/release. if it's due to dryness, the glove may help quite a bit. i find anything on my hands, even the tape i always wear messes with my putting, but you may find otherwise.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Darklord » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:53 pm

That would have been my next question? I assume a glove would probably affect touch shots like approaches and putts in a negative way. But maybe not. I will have to try it and see for myself.
Darklord
Noob

Postby sleepy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:32 am

Darklord wrote:That would have been my next question? I assume a glove would probably affect touch shots like approaches and putts in a negative way. But maybe not. I will have to try it and see for myself.

You could try wearing the glove for drives and other distance shots, and then take it off once you're making touch approach shots and putting.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby roadkill » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:43 am

I wore a batting glove to golf for about 8 years. Blake is right it does make for a weird tan line!

I went to the glove because I was getting nasty blisters on the inside of my middle fnger. I like having my fingertips in contact with the disc so I cut the fingertips off the gloves. The downside is that with the tips cut off they fray quickly and I replaced them every 6-7 weeks.

About ten years ago I dropped the glove and for whatever reason I don't experience the blister problems I had in the 80's. It may have something to do with the amount I play. In the 80s and early 90s I was playing 10-12 rounds a week. During the last 10 years I've averaged 1 round a week. So far in 2006 I've played 2 rounds (due to injury).

I personally believe you will have better feel if your fingertips are in direct contact with the disc. As far as cracking problems, I suggest lots of speciality creams and moisturizers (crack cream, udder cream, aloe,cocoa butter,etc) and possibly moleskin or fabric tape.

good luck!
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:31 pm

I tried a glove last may after breaking a finger. It really threw off my grip. I still see many players using tape, so much that I quit carrying it because I kept giving it away.

I may have to do something about my avengers (especially z) as it has begun to dig into my fingers like others have described.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:44 pm

Blake, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe it's legal to sand the bottom of the rim though to dull that sharp edge so it doesnt cut your hand anymore... As long as that's your only intention, and you only sand enough to dull it...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Pagan » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:21 pm

sleepy wrote:
Darklord wrote:That would have been my next question? I assume a glove would probably affect touch shots like approaches and putts in a negative way. But maybe not. I will have to try it and see for myself.

You could try wearing the glove for drives and other distance shots, and then take it off once you're making touch approach shots and putting.

sleepy

During the winter here I wore Sure-Grip gloves to throw with. It worked great for drives, approaches were more difficult, and putting next to impossible. I usually took it for the 30 seconds to putt and then quickly donned it again. at temps in the upper teens and winds at 15 mph the hands freeze fast!

I'd suggest the same... drive and approachs with on putts off

Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:29 pm

Weebl wrote:Blake, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe it's legal to sand the bottom of the rim though to dull that sharp edge so it doesnt cut your hand anymore... As long as that's your only intention, and you only sand enough to dull it...

thats right
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:41 pm

Could you sand z plastic though? I have started experimenting with x and d plastic discs and have managed to really change their flight characteristics (by accident). Thus, I have had to replace many of them.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:52 am

I had no problem sanding off the bottom edge on my buddie's wasp. I used 200 or 400 grit to get it off. As long as you take your time i don't see you messing up discs. If you had a sanding wheel or something, I'd rename it the 'Fliperizer'.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:55 am

I used sand paper, but I didn't pay attention to the grip.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique