Why is My Buzz my longest disc?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Why is My Buzz my longest disc?

Postby jgarcia9102 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:46 am

last week i was playing a new course on vacation and i noticed something really odd. my approaches were usually longer and straighter than my drives. this led me to driving more with my Buzz on straight or tunnel holes, even those over 500'. Heres what i was noticing: My drivers have more potential to go far, and can easily add another 50-80' on my drives, but for me they dont have a consistent distance. some times they will fly 100' farther than my Buzz, other times they fall 20' short.

so what is it? do i just not have enough power for the longer drivers? my buzz was passing the slower drivers i used like my XL too. it sounds like a technique problem since mids are more forgiving than drivers, but its not like the drivers arent going where i want. they go exactly where i want just not as far as i think they should.

could it be as simple as arm speed/power? I usually throw with a slower controlled X step, but my last step is strong with big snap. to me it seems im missing something here. even tiny arms can throw drivers farther than mids, and thats why i think its more than that.

any ideas? things to try?
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:26 am

sounds like it is a matter of not consistently getting enough nose down with your drivers. midranges and putters are more forgiving with nose angles and will perform better than drivers will if the nose is flat.

the most common link to this is not getting enough weight forward when throwing drivers.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby jgarcia9102 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:31 pm

well that does sound like it could be it. i know that whenever i try to throw max D i usually end up throwing nose up, and now that i think about it, i never really transfer my weight forward onto my front foot when driving. . ill give it a try once it stops raining here. it still amazes me that you can know exactly whats happening wrong in someones technique from just a short explanation. u r the man blake.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby kling » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:15 am

concentrate on the right foot pivot (if rhbh-throwing) this works for me getting weight forward :)
kling
Noob

Postby jgarcia9102 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:58 pm

i was trying it today, but i was giplocking probably half of my drives.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:27 pm

2 things may have happened (or a combination of both).

1) starting your pull before your pivot foot hits the ground
2) diving your right shoulder down during the finish/follow through.
Blake_T

Postby jgarcia9102 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:08 am

well in the process of throwing my weight forward onto my right foot, im pretty sure that i did lower my right shoulder. im just going to have to work on this for a while. it is a much less controllable feeling than how i used to drive, but i threw a couple low line drives with my eagle that i havent been able to do for a while, so im already starting to see the benefits.

i guess im just going to have to drive in a field today untill i can get this down.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:49 am

one thing to try is to reach with your right shoulder low, but then finish with it moving slightly upwards.
Blake_T

Postby jgarcia9102 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:03 pm

OK, well, this is a super old topic, but i noticed it again the other day. Since i initially started the topic i have gained a lot of acuracy and distance on my drives. my Teebird is a pretty reliable shot for me now, and yet yesterday i followed up each teebird drive with a buzz, and i noticed the same thing as before. the buzz was going almost as far as the teebird every time, sometimes passing it.

its not like i was throwing the TB high and stalling it out, they were pretty decent drives. Both the Buzz and the TB were thrown with a hyzer flip at about 5-15' off the ground, (i throw the buzz a bit lower than the Teebird) and both have a very similar line-drive flight.

is this just because i dont have much power? i was thinking its because the buzz matches better with my arm, is that possible?
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:24 am

buzzz's have better low height carry than teebirds, which i consider to be both good and bad for midrange characteristics.

buzzz's are also less stable than teebirds, so they will generally carry better when you don't get all of it.

to really outdistance a buzzz with a teebird you will need to put some air under it and get it very nose down.
Blake_T

Postby Aaron_D » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:26 pm

Remember the buzz is a fairly fast mid which lends itself to low line shots...also, i noticed I can throw my golfD teebird line and my golfD buzz line and really there is less than 75' difference. ...pure is different and almost entirely unrelated as the unorthodox lines one must choose

As for normal dg play, I can throw my teebird 430ish and my buzz 375ish. imo people worry too much about which disc to throw. In reality most holes only necessitate 350' of distance to make an ace run. Of course some courses are different, but after you break the 400' mark (for a person of 'reasonable' strength) you are probably getting close to your natural limit.

Blake said it best when he said (something like) quality players could throw par with a pringles lid.

Since I broke 400' I find working on squeezing out that extra 100' useless. Far more important is building consistancy within a distance you feel comfortable with...then trying to expand that comfort zone. When I first broke 400, I was only consistant within 300' or so...now I cant throw very much farther than I could then, but Im waaaay more accurate within 350 than ever before...and ive really noticed a drop in my average score.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:30 pm

im much more concerned with being consistent than i am with my Max D. the other day i reached my farthest D yet, about 400' with my Teebird, yet i still tee off about 40% of the time with mids and putters. another 50% of the time its with a controll driver. I never go for big distance really.

the average hole length at my local course is about 375, and whether i drive 250 or 400 dosent make a difference. unless i can get into putting range with my drive (which is very rare for me on a 375' hole) its drive, then approach, then putt. split it up however you want, an approach is an approach for me. Its more important to keep the disc on the fairway than it is to get an extra 50' on the drive.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:50 pm

once you are breaking ~425' consistently, extra D is a matter of the lines you are hitting.

only a handful of players in the world can throw 450'+ golf lines.
Blake_T

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:13 pm

thanks for reminding me I cant hit 400' on a hyzer :(
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:34 am

Cause you dont carry avenger? hehe Sorry I couldnt resist. I'm guessing it's nose angle issues.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Technique