What's really so bad about OAT's?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: What's really so bad about OAT's?

Postby Hoey » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:39 am

What a great thread. OAT'S An Epidemic.

Just realized that I can't deny it anymore. I've got to work on this to get better.

Now I'm just having a hard time picturing a disc going far without using my wrist.

that's all I got.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby JR » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:29 am

bogies is dave wrote:What a great thread. OAT'S An Epidemic.

Just realized that I can't deny it anymore. I've got to work on this to get better.

Now I'm just having a hard time picturing a disc going far without using my wrist.

that's all I got.

Thumbs up!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:02 pm

Since I'm a recovering OATaholic I can say the wobble or flutter just makes the disc an unpredictable projectile. Windy days really show you who does or doesn't understand spin and the gyroscopic effect.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby JR » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:56 am

IowaDiscGolf wrote:Since I'm a recovering OATaholic I can say the wobble or flutter just makes the disc an unpredictable projectile. Windy days really show you who does or doesn't understand spin and the gyroscopic effect.

If only understanding translated into action each time...
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby edrift101 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:38 pm

"What happens when newer players grab a disc that is speed overstable, is that they cant match the speed required to make it fly straight, to get it to fly straight they then introduce wrist roll to their throws, so what they do is throw s-line shots to get more distance out of the disc. Mind you they arent really throwing straight shots, they are flex-shots wich have more or less play in the left-to-right."

Exactly what I did and where my OAT issues came from - it's going to take some time to fix this. Any tips for keeping your wrist from rolling over? Drills that fix this?
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star TeeBird

Postby Craig Smolin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:59 pm

Take beat discs and focus on throwing them hyzer. Reduce reach back, arm speed, and snap as necessary.

The best thing I figured out this year was reducing my reach back, and slowing my arm acceleration for slower discs. Helped reduced "strong-arming" and in turn I reduced my OAT considerably. Faster discs need a longer reach back to get a higher acceleration to achieve cruising speed.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby rehder » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:19 am

I bought a ProD XL in 150g last year to practice high-trajectory shots that had nose down. But its also good at showing OAT, but also do what Craig said. Get slow beat to hell drivers and focus on throwing them hyzer.

You can several variations of this drill. One is to throw it hyzer and making sure it holds it the whole way. If it is really beat, you will to begin with have to take most of the power out of it, to prevent it from flipping. Now when you have turned the power down, it is also easier on focussing on reducing OAT and hitting it cleaner. When this starts working slowly bring the power back on, while still working on throwing hyzer lines.

BTW. DF talks about a different drill with understable discs, that wont allow OAT. You can read about it in his interview on 100rated.com
http://www.1000rated.com/2008/08/spotli ... -feldberg/
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Technique