adding x-step

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

adding x-step

Postby redspexxx » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:14 am

i've been playing for about 5-6 months now. when i first started, i threw flat-foot, no steps. i feel pretty good about my form standing still, but have heard from a few local pro's that i need to add a run up to my drive to break the 200-250' range. my problem is, now that i'm trying the run up, all my discs are going way high and to the right, almost like im trying to throw a spike hyzer. what are some possible fixes for this?
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby adidadg » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:11 am

Dropping your right shoulder during your pull through, or rolling your wrist under can both cause your disc to spike hyzer (among other things, but these are common causes).

A good run up only needs to be 3 or 4 steps, adding any more can be counter productive. Also calling it a run up is a bit misleading, I go at about a fast walking pace. The main benefit of learning the x-step is the added hip rotation you get as your left foot crosses behind your right (i.e. they will rotate away from your target). It is this added power from your hips as you rotate or "unwind" at the end of your X-step that will get you the extra distance, simply running up faster is unlikely to add distance and will sacrifice a lot of accuracy. Just something to keep in mind as you work on it.
adidadg

Postby adidadg » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:18 am

ah i forgot, throwing with the disc nose up is a major cause of the disc going high and Hyzering right, make sure you keep that nose down
adidadg

Postby jgarcia9102 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:00 pm

one thing thats important is practice and patience. i have been developing my back hand for a few months now and i still am not consistent. its frustrating, but i find that when i get agrivated i only do worse. just take it one step at a time.

blake has some great videos of professional drives on here, and im sure he could point out a few that have perfect form. watch the footwork and try to see if you can copy it. dont rush into it. dont take quick steps and throw 80% power. do it in slowmotion many many times with a midrange disc. once you get the form consistent you can try adding more power and speeding up the motion.

just stay patient and it will come to you.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby NCSUphenom » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:46 pm

Well, for about 3 years, I did it completely wrong. I went to a field and fixed it and for about 2 weeks everything was off. I couldn't hit a line to save my life. When you finally get it down, you'll never go back and you put 40 feet at least more distance. The X-step is key, add that in your game, SUCCESS AWAITS
Raleigh DG born Charlotte DG bred
NCSUphenom
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:56 pm

the x-step serves two primary functions:
1) getting your weight forward
2) priming your hips

while you can do both of these without an x-step, the potential magnitude is greater when they are performed with an x-step.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby redspexxx » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:41 am

sorry for the confusion, i actually only added the x step( as shown in a video posted on this site, see "i finally get it x-step"). i was actually thinking about changing fron the reach back method to the bent elbow technique, but i'd rather whar whats what from a more experienced player. any advice?
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Technique