Grip Technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby masterbeato » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:11 pm

Man_Utenbart wrote:Allmost :) It's Nature. The water, the feeling (light a fire), of surviving, the love, the lost. I would like my own personal nature.

Cheers!

100% nature.

masterbeato: It's like a crazy rip - it's just that feeling. it's rippin' ! oh, man I have some good music for u all!

but that's me..

Nice man, you really put that in perspective.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Man_Utenbart » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:33 pm

We all do
Man_Utenbart
Tree Magnet

Postby Man_Utenbart » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:36 pm

"Smiley"
Man_Utenbart
Tree Magnet

Postby tumpsi » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:46 am

Masterbeato would enjoy his stay at Blashyrkh.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:43 am

Man_Utenbart wrote:I know what you'r saying. Some parts are fantastic, but it suddenly change style. Didn't know if I would like it or dislike it, but I went for the first one :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ogrSzAT-JCo

I would like a hot sauna and a hole in the ice, NOW! :)

Oh my, somebody is getting killed in my backyard!

Tumpsi: http://youtube.com/watch?v=C6kQu2MvUIY This we like!?

PM?

Maybe we should start another tread in "Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc." ?

See guys? It's not only the Finns swimming in ice cold water :-)

I've heard Birdy before and didn't like it. The director of the video Aki Taanila was a teacher at the Finnish Academy of Fine Arts when I worked there. That video won the best video award somewhere. Best European video of the year at MTV?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Dogma » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:30 pm

OK I'm still having problems with this grip. I've been trying it in the field, and while I like the results, I'm pretty sure I'm still doing it wrong. I still have have trouble getting my pinky under the rim. I thought I had figured it out based on Blake's feedback to my last photos (Thanks!), but now that I look at the new photos I think my wrist is even more clockwise. When I rotate my wrist back to horizontal the only way I can get the disc level is to drop it back down into the seam. I've been a mechanic for a number of years so my hands lean more toward thick than flexible, but surely it shouldn't be this difficult. Trying to get my fingers up farther up into the rim is difficult enough that I can feel weird pulling all the way up my forearm and my hand starts to cramp. Examples of bad form below. Feedback/mockery encouraged.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:30 pm

dogma:

the palm of your hand is now angled towards about 2 o'clock. you want the palm to be parallel to 12 o'clock.

you'll have to dig the disc into the base of the thumb. your grip right now will either be nose up or have massive OAT.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:37 pm

Hrmm. I wonder if that is why I have been cranking a few and other times I am turning them over and same with nose up. I have to start paying better attention to my grip until the disc fits into there how it is supposed to. I love it when people ask questions and it relates exactly to you but you didn't know you were doing it wrong.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby corey115 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:48 pm

I usually max out at about 370 ft. with the occasional drive that I can push to the 380's.

While playing today, I tried to throw my ESP Surges with beato's grip and I got amazing results.

After we were done measuring, I was left with my longest drive ever at 451 ft. :shock:

I'll definitely be doing some testing with this grip. :)
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby MrTasses » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:09 am

I've been having good results with above the seam grip as well. It felt really awkward at first but I've been sticking with standing throws using this grip and trying to feel the rip. Last time I played my home course I threw a couple drives standing longer than I normally throw them with an x-step.

This grip mod is definitely helping me with my long standing problem of throwing nose-up.
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:30 pm

This grip is helping me throw higher while keeping the nose down angle which has given me a huge increase of distance. I am loving how I am playing right now. When I played today I birdied 7 of the 10 holes (the other 8 are pulled right now) and got a par on the other 3. Everything seems to be going good right now. I threw a 169 pink pro destroyer at least 415 tonight to. Not bad for a guy who was having major form issues a week ago and was only getting 330 feet of D on anything.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:45 pm

chalk up another one for great results with this grip, ive added distance too but more importantly i have been super consistant and accurate with this grip also. thank alot beato (and in turn Blake)
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby JR » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:11 am

Huge jumps in D! Congratulations :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby masterbeato » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:20 pm

Glad to see success!

That's like, ultra mega super omega supreme improvement from a tiny little adjustment.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby black udder » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:24 pm

it's absolutely insane what that teeny adjustment can do in return on investment :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

PreviousNext

Return to Technique