Grip Technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Grip Technique

Postby Dogma » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:57 am

tumpsi wrote:I too have VERY small hands for a man, and I don't have any problems with
this grip.

I think my hands are a probably a pretty average size. I wear medium or large gloves. It seems more like a flexibility issue. I can't get my hand to curl the right way and my fingers to bend the right direction, even when I try to use my other hand to force them. When I do it is extremely uncomfortable, and I still can't quite get there.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby kevind » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:03 am

I think my trouble with getting this grip right has to do with the width and thickness of my hand. My palm is extra wide and pretty meaty making it even more of a stretch for my pinkey. One thing trying to learn it has done is make my in the seam grip easier to manipulate. So its not a complete loss for me.
kevind
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:22 am

Has anyone tried placing their fingers on the rim, and then setting the disc in place instead of setting the disc in place then trying to get the fingers on the rim? That's what I do after the pre-load, set my fingers where they should be, then setting the disc above the seam.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Re: Grip Technique

Postby black udder » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:23 am

Dogma wrote:
freeus wrote:Anybody else experience this or do I just have short fingers?

Yes. Just like you described. I can either have all four fingers curled into the rim (barely), or the disc above the seam, but not both. Every time I think I've made progress, I realize that all I've done is rotate my wrist too far clockwise, and if I fix that then the disc is dropping down on the left side by about 20 degrees. Thumb forward helps, but only a little. Sitting at home and trying it I get cramps in my hand, or pain in my forearm back to my elbow as I try to force my hand to bend the way it should. It's pretty frustrating, since it seems like it should be about the easiest thing in the world to just put something in your hand and hold it. I haven't given up, but I'm definitely frustrated.

Measure your fingers from knuckle to tip. I could do the grip if my pinky was 1 inch long, so it has to be a matter of either your hand has some physical issues (really could be that) or you're just not holding it right.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:56 am

Measure your fingers from knuckle to tip. I could do the grip if my pinky was 1 inch long, so it has to be a matter of either your hand has some physical issues (really could be that) or you're just not holding it right.

correct. usually happens because people try to force their wrist too far down and/or trying to get their hand too far on top of it or something else that i've never understood.

building a grip like masterbeato said is the best/easiest way.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Dale » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:26 pm

Has anyone tried placing their fingers on the rim, and then setting the disc in place instead of setting the disc in place then trying to get the fingers on the rim? That's what I do after the pre-load, set my fingers where they should be, then setting the disc above the seam.

That is the way I do it now.

Still, it feels more comfortable with three fingers on the rim instead of four. The pinkie seems to do almost nothing to add power or stabilization IMO, and putting it on the rim seems to tilt the disc nose-up a bit.
Dale
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:57 pm

If you use the Climo grip, then the pinky is the base of the stack :) I think in the 4 finger power grip, it's just stabilization.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Steady 26542 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:25 pm

Critique please. Is it correct to have the first knuckle of the index finger on the rim? Is my palm correct. To me, the disc is above the crease and level. Is my thumb forward enough. I have very small hands so it's all I can do to get the pinky even on the disc.

Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby geoloseth » Wed May 07, 2008 9:36 pm

Steady - The way tour gripping looks fine for an above the seem grip, however I would suggest moving your thumb more toward the plate of the disc and away from the edge of the rim. I used to throw using that grip, but I found that it only masked flaws in my technique. Once I started throwing with more wrist movement and extension the problems slowly dissapeared. Since then I've been able to throw higher lines with sometimes extreme nose down. If you have hit a wall in your game and are trying to find a grip that will add something to it, I would suggest trying to work on your mechanics before trying to change grips.

Just my $.02
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Thu May 08, 2008 7:08 am

Steady 26542 wrote: Is my thumb forward enough. Image
No, your thumb is not forward enough. That picture looks a lot like the "thumb not forward enough" picture from the grip article.

Look at where the tip of your thumb is compared to your index finger. It should be in front of it, like this:

Getting your thumb forward will help you get your pinky under the rim.

The disc is definitely above the seam in your hand and I wouldn't expect to get it up that high after you get your thumb forward, but that's OK. With your wrist down the disc will be in line with your forearm, like this:

My guess is that these fixes will make throwing a heck of a lot easier.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Steady 26542 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:16 am

garublador wrote:No, your thumb is not forward enough. That picture looks a lot like the "thumb not forward enough" picture from the grip article.

Look at where the tip of your thumb is compared to your index finger. It should be in front of it, like this:

Getting your thumb forward will help you get your pinky under the rim. My guess is that these fixes will make throwing a heck of a lot easier.

I saw the picture with the thumb forward. It looks like to me that the whole thumb pad is resting on top of the disc. I'm not sure I see a benefit to that but I'll try it anyway. The reason for the grip change (I've been playing 5 yrs and am now rated 950 @ 53 yrs old) is that for the last two years I've been stuck with D of 300' - 325'. I thought that if I start with the grip and then keep moving down to the feet It would be easier to improve. I know I have no "hit." I also don't push with my left leg. But if I try doing everything at once I'll never get good at anything. I throw very straight, just not long. I've been working on the grip for several days now and have actually lost some D. It's getting frustrating. I'll try the suggestions on here and see what works. I have no problem with OAT. I can throw my Omega SS 250'. Sorry for being so long winded. Thanks for the advice.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Postby garublador » Thu May 08, 2008 11:37 am

Steady 26542 wrote:I'm not sure I see a benefit to that but I'll try it anyway.
Don't worry, you'll see the benifit. Without getting the thumb forward you won't be able to focus the pressure from your index finger correctly and will miss out on a lot of "smash factor." Trying to get the disc above the seam in your hand without the thumb forward will result in a weak grip. That could have something to do with the distance loss.

I understand trying to fix one thing at once. I've been playing about the same amount of time and if I'm able to get one breakthough per season and have it stick I'm happy. The grip breakthrough was two seasons ago and it's huge. I agree with the order you've picked to try and improve. I've also been fiding that's it's really a "one step back, two steps forward" type process. I've built up to the 360' plateu 3 or 4 times now, each time fixing something that makes it easier to throw that far, control my discs or throw slower discs.

Congrads on getting that good, too. I've never played in a sanctioned tournament, but I can't imagine my rating would be any higer than 900 if I had.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby JR » Thu May 08, 2008 12:47 pm

garublador wrote: I've also been fiding that's it's really a "one step back, two steps forward" type process. I've built up to the 360' plateu 3 or 4 times now, each time fixing something that makes it easier to throw that far, control my discs or throw slower discs.

Ain't that the truth! I'm maybe the saddest example of this but that's the price I'm willing to pay for wanting to explore the unviable forms too to gain a larger understanding. Meaning I'm constantly changing things and parts of my form that I've gotten to work without thinking of them and having reverted back to trouble central part stone age was better than now again and again after refixing the isuues almost as often. :oops:

Mark, your posts aren't long in text just the pictures. Just ask the ADHD/ADD collective here about my posts :twisted: 8) Kidding!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Steady 26542 » Thu May 08, 2008 4:17 pm

I know. I don't know how to make the pics smaller so they don't take up so much room. Sorry about that... :roll:
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Postby CJ1998 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:43 pm

Steady 26542 wrote:I know. I don't know how to make the pics smaller so they don't take up so much room. Sorry about that... :roll:

Photobucket has a utility on the website that allows you to resize images. You can save it as a copy and do what you want with it.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

PreviousNext

Return to Technique