Masterbeato's form

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby sleepy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:24 am

Blake_T wrote:
I have always struggled with the "Starting at the Right Pec" idea. I can never seem to figure out what that is supposed to look and feel like. I end up throwing with just my arm when I try that drill which strikes me as being the opposite of what that drill is supposed to teach.

the early stages of this drill are to work with just upper body rotation.

rotate away, push off with your left foot and rotate forwards. if you are relaxed you should feel when you want to start tugging hard. you'll be surprised how faced up to the target you will be and how the disc actually leaves from in front of your body.

I am a RHBH thrower and whenever I play, even when a using full runup and X-Step and focusing on pushing with my legs, the only thing that is consistently and very sore on my body the next day is my right pectoral muscle. It feels like it did when I was lifting heavy weights in the gym on a regular basis...the muscle is torn (in a good way) and is sore.

The weeks spent throwing from a standstill and focusing on acceleration are making me wince in pain already. Does anyone else get sore in the right pectoral region when they play/throw? Is this normal? (I'm guessing no).

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:05 am

When I haven't thrown in a while it's usually my right pec and the right side of my back that's a little sore...never my arm.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby Blake_T » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:44 pm

my right pectoral gets sore after too many reps or if i'm throwing with too much arm or if i haven't played in a while.

if i'm throwing really well my left pectoral and left bicep are sore. i only throw well 2 days a year though so this isn't much of a bother.

sleepy:

sounds like you may need to complete your follow thruogh rotation and be able to pivot more freely. you may be hyper-extending your shoudler. try gradually rotating your wrist/hand orientation so that your palm is facing the ground after the disc leaves. it should ease up the strain on your chest and arm.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby black udder » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:42 pm

Blake_T wrote:my right pectoral gets sore after too many reps or if i'm throwing with too much arm or if i haven't played in a while.

if i'm throwing really well my left pectoral and left bicep are sore. i only throw well 2 days a year though so this isn't much of a bother.

That's funny :) (unless it's true because of injuries, in which case, it sucks)

Blake_T wrote:sleepy:

sounds like you may need to complete your follow thruogh rotation and be able to pivot more freely. you may be hyper-extending your shoudler. try gradually rotating your wrist/hand orientation so that your palm is facing the ground after the disc leaves. it should ease up the strain on your chest and arm.

So the goal is that as soon as you feel/know the disc is gone, to rotate your palm down? I imagine this is a timing thing you get after repetition? Does it happen naturally? Honestly, thinking about it now, I can't say if I do that or not.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby sleepy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:45 pm

Blake_T wrote:sleepy:

Thanks, I'll definitely give this a try. I'd say that I my follow through and pivot only carries me around enough to need to put my left foot down in front of my right (plant) foot about 10% of the time, which can't be good.

Hopefully rotating my arm in the way you describe will allow my arm to continue around to the right further and force my hips to follow and my left foot to carry around and complete the pivot.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:25 pm

So the goal is that as soon as you feel/know the disc is gone, to rotate your palm down? I imagine this is a timing thing you get after repetition? Does it happen naturally? Honestly, thinking about it now, I can't say if I do that or not.

go through the motion and see how much extra rotation your torso can have if the palm rotates to facing downwards.
Blake_T

Postby black udder » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:55 pm

Blake_T wrote:

go through the motion and see how much extra rotation your torso can have if the palm rotates to facing downwards.

Oh, not doubting you at all - should have been more specific - the goal is to do it *after* the disc is gone rather than *as the disc rips*, right? :) I think doing it as the disc rips is a technique as well, but not what I should be intending most of the time.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:41 pm

if you do it while the disc rips it's rolling your wrist under.

definitely do it after the disc rips. key point is when your arm is pointed straight out to the right.
Blake_T

Postby Beetard » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:27 pm

Blake or MB, Could you reword/rephrase "clearing the hip" at least 1 or 2 ways for me?
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:53 pm

My arm no longer gets sore, as I stopped throwing with my arm. No I throw my arm with my shoulder, and drive that with a quick snap open of the hips.

Now my legs get sore.

My left upper arm gets sore too.

...and my back, but that is toasted from years of hitting golf balls so that does not count.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blake_T » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:57 pm

have brad talk about clearing the hip.

he's the one that told me what it was.

i'd always noticed it but didn't know what it was called :P
Blake_T

Postby niuvalleycane » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:17 pm

Blake_T wrote:have brad talk about clearing the hip.

he's the one that told me what it was.

i'd always noticed it but didn't know what it was called :P

Gallery awaits Brad....if you please 8)
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby masterbeato » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:33 pm

Beetard wrote:Blake or MB, Could you reword/rephrase "clearing the hip" at least 1 or 2 ways for me?

Clearing the hip is where your hip strikes forward, just like your foot does when it pivots at the release point.

Notice when you watch Timmy Gill's foot (for example) it strikes forward, rather then just slowly rotating to the forward position.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby niuvalleycane » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:24 am

masterbeato wrote:
Beetard wrote:Blake or MB, Could you reword/rephrase "clearing the hip" at least 1 or 2 ways for me?

Clearing the hip is where your hip strikes forward, just like your foot does when it pivots at the release point.

Notice when you watch Timmy Gill's foot (for example) it strikes forward, rather then just slowly rotating to the forward position.

ahhhhhhh /wringing hands together/
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:26 am

an easy way of putting it is that your leg pivots and allows your body to move past your hip.

if you say, hit your left knee into the back of your right knee joint... that is an example of jamming your hip.
Blake_T

PreviousNext

Return to Technique