Masterbeato's form

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:55 am

I would agree with this. A short video of each step would be awesome. I started last night just working on accelerating from my right peck to finish. I have to say I surprised myself big time. I was getting any from about 200-230ft. This just shows how much I wasn't doing things properly before. I will continue to practice this for a while. I take no steps at all at this point. I assume the next part will to take one step with my right leg(I throw righty) and accelerate from the right pec. My question is should I concentrate on the hips at this point or wait till later on in the development of my throw for the hips??
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:58 am

Let's see if I can repeat what Blake told me about walking your throw back from the hit.

Assuming RHBH throw, but you can reverse for lefties.

Stand with your right side toward the target. As you would making a standing throw.

Feet should be a little past shoulder width. Bring your right foot in to stand beside your left foot. That's your last step before you pull through (your plant step).

Next, step the same distance (little over shoulder width) away with your left foot. This is your x-step distance.

Next, bring your right foot in to your left foot again, then step a little back and to the rear. This is where you start from. it should allow you a small step, x-step and plant.

Some additional advice he recommended to me because of my stiff hips, and to those that have issues getting over the disc, is to take an extended run up to the tee to build some momentum. That way when you stop, you'll have your body weight getting thrown forward. It leaves you a little out of control, but it can give you the feeling of what it's like to be weight forward. Once you recognize that and make the adjustments necessary to get there with a normal x-step/approach, you can reduce the run up.

With the standing still acceleration drill, you rest the disc under your pec and rotate back/coil up, then un coil and throw. You can stand with your feet together and take 1 step out as well. The goal is to feel the 100% of acceleration in that last moment of throw and then incorporate that into the end of your throw.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:57 pm

if you've ever watched a place kicker in football line up before a kick. you will notice he usually stands at the holder, takes like 1-2 steps sideways, and then like 3-4 steps backwards. if you notice, he is lining up how far each step is.

basically, take your stationary "push off" style throw where you push from your left foot onto your right foot.

to build a 1-step throw from that, keep your left foot where it is, move your right foot so that it is next to your left foot. your 1 step throw = move your right foot back to where it was, set it down, then push from your left foot onto your right foot.

to build a 2-step throw from that, start from your stationary throw, move your right foot back next to your left foot into the 1-step position. now, move your left foot back until it is oriented around your left shoulder. start your motion with your left foot cross step, when that foot hits the ground, basically execute your 1-step throw.

a full 3 s-step x-step is basically built in the same way. this way, every step you take contributes to powering your stationary throw position.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby masterbeato » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:26 pm

I'm making my own T-Shirt, will have my picture on it and it will say "I don't throw as far."

May help me win a damn tournament once in my life.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:33 pm

Blake thanks for posting that info. The only question I have is when performing the stationary throw and one step throw should I lead with the hips? Right now I am just practicing the acceleration part but am wandering at what point should I start with the hips. My reading this post I see to work building up the Xstep and starting my pull at the right pec. I guess my question is at what point should I worry about the hips leading and at what point should I increase my reach back? I am trying to start from the hit back and want to make sure to do it properly. Thanks.
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:49 pm

a stationary throw is triggered by basically pushing from your back foot to your front foot and picking up your back foot when the weight transition happens.
Blake_T

Postby garublador » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:46 am

Blake_T wrote:a stationary throw is triggered by basically pushing from your back foot to your front foot and picking up your back foot when the weight transition happens.
I tried this last weekend and once I figured out that I had to rock back and forth to get the timing and weight transfer right it worked really well.

Hopefully in the next few outings I'll get comfortable with the stand-still throw and get moving on to the 1 and 2 step throws. It was really clicking at the end and I'm hoping that sticks until I'm able to make it out next.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Eric O » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:58 am

If only I could accelerate through my throw with a runup included half as well as I can do it from a stationary throw...
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Distance?

Postby puzzled » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:47 am

I apologize if this has been answered, but I don't recall seeing it so I'm asking now.

What stationary distance would equate to 350' with a runup? 400'? 450'?

My throw is poor usually in the 280 range but randomly I'll get to 350 for a couple of throws in a row. Anyway, I want to be able to be consistent, so I'm working on this stationary thing.

Since I don't "feel" snap. I'm trying to figure out if I'm at least throwing it somewhere near a distance that would be expected with a stationary throw.

Thanks
puzzled
Noob

Postby black udder » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:15 pm

I would think that if you're still learning, then take 50-60' off your run up distance. So something in the 240' range.

That would be something that's controlled. Something you can put down the fairway fairly consistently.

I know that I can throw within 20'-30' of my max distance standing still. However, I'm only throwing 330' or so, so I'm not doing everything right, just not doing anything horribly wrong.

Thus, if you throw better, then I believe you'd get more distance standing still.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:35 pm

guys who throw ~350' drives will have stationary D in the 280-310' range.

guys who throw ~450' drives will have stationary D in the 325-360' range.

there's diminishing returns as longer drives require more oomph on em the farther you try and go.
Blake_T

Postby Man_Utenbart » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:43 pm

if i'm throwing really well my left pectoral and left bicep are sore

I don't understand this. Do you mean that the disc hits you in those areas, or do you actually use those muscles during the throw?
Man_Utenbart
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:48 pm

man:

it's because i'm ripping em hard that when i hit max extension it pulls so hard across my chest that it pulls the left bicep and pectoral.
Blake_T

Postby Man_Utenbart » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:50 pm

Thank's, I think I got it :)
Man_Utenbart
Tree Magnet

Postby Seanzerelli » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:19 pm

That explains some pain I was having, because I don't ice my left arm, I don't use it. But I was dumbfounded about the random bicep pain, idk about pec pain for me though, what does no left pec pain mean? lol
Seanzerelli
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Technique