My throwing sequence

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My throwing sequence

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue May 02, 2006 7:42 pm

This is about the best we could do with our digital camera. Best throw with Cyclone was 453 ft. Average was about 375 ft.

Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Weebl » Thu May 04, 2006 8:28 am

It doesn't look like you're coiling much, and your x-step looks funny (as if your pulling through before plantfoot is on the ground) you seem to have a good, on plane, follow through but if you rotate off your plant foot, it won't strain your shoulder so much and help releave leg pain in your plant foot (assuming you have leg pain in your right leg, it seems like it's strained.)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Thu May 04, 2006 9:11 am

Were you on a ball golf course? I think I saw sandtraps off in the distance. Looked like a great place to practice distance. Btw how did you do your measurements?
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu May 04, 2006 11:19 am

Weebl wrote:It doesn't look like you're coiling much, and your x-step looks funny (as if your pulling through before plantfoot is on the ground) you seem to have a good, on plane, follow through but if you rotate off your plant foot, it won't strain your shoulder so much and help releave leg pain in your plant foot (assuming you have leg pain in your right leg, it seems like it's strained.)

Hmmm...

If you will notice this sequence is actually several throws mixed together (the discs change color). I think the X-step part is out of sequence. There are no pics of the full pull which increases my rotation as the lead foot moves forward (right before the hips open).

I do not coil a lot yet, I do not think. My spine wants to rotate the other way, but not that way (clockwise). I have played ball golf for a long time, and all the rotation in my back goes counterclockwise. I hope this will improve with time. I am amazed at the pro rotation. Very impressive athletes.

I do not like the "hips back/bent over" look to my hit and follow through. I really need to get my hip rotation more over the top of my left foot (I think). I am working in staying more constantly vertical, but it is hard to "drive" with the back leg standing too vertical ) for me.

I am confused about something.

I throw more with an X-step that has me mearly facing backwards for an instant, then rotating fully around. Most of the good players seem to be "walking sidewise" or 90 degrees to the target line for the whole throw up until the hit. I try this, but the throw has nothing on it.

Any help?
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 04, 2006 2:18 pm

recommendation #1, and i cannot emphasize this enough: BEND YOUR KNEE!!!! your leg positioning looks like an MCL/ACL/patella injury waiting to happen.

recommendation #2, get your left hand off the disc, it forces you to square your shoudlers during your rotation away, which is not something you always want to do.

as for the amount of rotation you get, on my max golf drives, i never even get all the way turned away.

the straight leg pivot makes it harder/awkward to get weight forward and may be contributing to the stuff we are talking about in the grip thread.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique