Learning with understable discs

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Learning with understable discs

Postby Muffin_Man » Thu May 04, 2006 12:13 am

Hey guys. This whole thing may sound silly but...

I'm fairly new to DG (1 summer's worth) and started learning with understable discs (Spider, Dragon, XD, Beast). Now through these I have figured out how to throw not only s-curves, but straight-flying hyzer-flips and gradual right-turning shots. Most of my shots fly at around 10-12 feet above the ground.

I have tried the more overstable discs and do use a light Firebird for hyzers, but for the most part I find them to be not as versatile and I also can't seem to put a finger on why I can't throw overstable molds as far as my understable molds.

Now I keep reading about how great Rocs and Teebirds are as discs in general, how they're always recommended and how they're good for learning, but at the same time I'm also reading that overstable discs tend to mask your flaws?

Have I learnt to throw with understable molds? Do I need more height with the overstable molds? Should I be concerned with this?

Thanks
Muffin_Man
Noob

Favorite Disc: The one in the pond

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 04, 2006 12:23 am

overstable molds require more snap and nose down to power than understable.

it is very good to learn with understable plastic, as you can always adjust to throw overstable discs, but it is much harder to do it in the reverse order.

it sounds like you may have neglected learning good anhzyer form. i'm always concerned whenever there is a shot that i can't do well, but not everyone shares that mindset.

dx rocs and dx teebirds are stable without really being overstable. i usually throw broken in versions of those that are easier to flatten from a hyzer and have less fade.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique