One disc round

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby roadkill » Fri May 05, 2006 1:09 pm

I've found over 90% of my shots lately have been with 3 Discs:

Wizard- putts,approaches and drives < 270'
Coyote- fairway and tee drives <270-330'
Champ Valk- Drives over 330'

Two other discs that come into play are a dx leopard (rolling and turnover shots) and Champ orc (hyzers and skip shots).

As they say, sometimes less is more.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Weebl » Sat May 06, 2006 11:44 pm

Having a few rounds with only 1 disc makes you learn it inside and out. I did that with Rocs, Stingrays, Leopard and Valkyries. Those 4 discs, along with Teebirds and my Classic Roc are 98% of my shots, the other 2% being utility Firebird. 7 Molds, 14 discs :P
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Darklord » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:38 pm

I think I know exactly what you were trying to get at here. I am guessing that you also putted with that eagle and that you may have said "hell yes" a few times. And if you didn't, I did. I used a new kc gazelle( my favorite disc). I made shots that I know I couldn't have made with my midranges or putters. The shots also required less body motion, therefore ,theoretically, more accurate. I have already been lectured on this point so beware. But disc golf is about scoring. And if your score is lower by throwing something out of the norm, then you should have the flexability to do it and not feel guilty. I am considering playing my next tournament this way just to prove my point. If you can throw a gazelle in a bucket from 100 ft., then do it . Long live creativity.
"Short and safe is better than long and lost".
Darklord
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:39 pm

Darklord wrote:I think I know exactly what you were trying to get at here. I am guessing that you also putted with that eagle and that you may have said "hell yes" a few times. And if you didn't, I did. I used a new kc gazelle( my favorite disc). I made shots that I know I couldn't have made with my midranges or putters. The shots also required less body motion, therefore ,theoretically, more accurate. I have already been lectured on this point so beware. But disc golf is about scoring. And if your score is lower by throwing something out of the norm, then you should have the flexability to do it and not feel guilty. I am considering playing my next tournament this way just to prove my point. If you can throw a gazelle in a bucket from 100 ft., then do it . Long live creativity.

BAD... BAD Darklord!!! BAD.....

lol, just kidding, Im all for using whatever works, and definately for knowign your discs inside and out. but the only problem I see w/ throwing a fast disc for a short shots when playing or score is youre less likely to accurately predict when the disc will fade. you may shoot better that way, but if you know your putters/mids that well also I think you would have better luck.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Pagan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:46 pm

Yesterday a friend and I played a one disc round. He used a brand new Roc, and I used a fairly new Wasp. He finished one under pro par, and I finished 1 over. Today I took my whole bag with me but kept track of the discs I actually used. I am thinking I can pare it down to just those molds and sell off the rest.
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:11 pm

Don't sell all the rest, keep them around for a while. You never know when you're going to play a tourny where there's 660' par 3 holes where you need that 450' drive over a 375' drive so you can get a nice 200' putter shot rather than a 275' for easy par. This is but one example but keep it in mind. I'm digging the minimalist bag though.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:48 pm

I dont think he was saying down to short discs only, just prune the discs hes not throwing all that often.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Pagan » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:06 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:I dont think he was saying down to short discs only, just prune the discs hes not throwing all that often.

Yeah thinking about trqading/selling off the X2, Reaper, Xs's (except a light one for downwind drives). I've always been a fan of the Xs's but I can throw the Surge further. I love the Cyclones, but find the Tracker in my hand more too... Maybee I should dump all the ones out I consider phasing out today before my round and see what I can do..

Pagan
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:51 pm

if you really want to shoot the discs out, compare the relative accuracy/predictability and subtract that from any distance gained.

e.g. 30' of distance - 30' of accuracy = net 0'.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Previous

Return to Technique