Snap...the light came on!!!

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Snap...the light came on!!!

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri May 05, 2006 5:06 pm

After making a few post showing my technique, I listened very carefully to all of the responses.

I was also very concerned with a few things I saw.

I went back and read the Snap article for the 10th time.

I have been throwing discs off and on for 25 years and I have only been using half of the snap. I always had the beginning of the snap, but never the finish. I have been powering my arm speed right past my snap....holy crap...using snap is much easier than using arm speed.

I have been casting the rod without using any of the flex in shaft (metaphorically speaking) kind of like casting with a broom stick. I am now officially on the "snap practice" regimen for a while.

Blake is truly a pioneer. I am proud to be a follower.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blake_T » Sat May 06, 2006 9:01 am

congrats. part of the "later half" power is the wrist extension.

since you were going 450'+, it probably wont' add any golf d, but it will make it more efficient (less input for the same output).
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat May 06, 2006 1:49 pm

Blake_T wrote:congrats. part of the "later half" power is the wrist extension.

since you were going 450'+, it probably wont' add any golf d, but it will make it more efficient (less input for the same output).

I think I throw a little farther on occassion, but mostly output is way down for the same distance. The hardest thing to do is quit trying so hard.

Another interesting effect. All of a sudden I do not throw my Surge any further than my DX Eagle (assuming no wind an flat ground). The Surge will go furher if it gets a breeze under its wing, but mostly is is just harder to throw for no real super gains in distance.

Assuming no wind a gain, and a little headroom, I can throw a Cyclone nearly as far (within ten feet).

Both the Eagle and Cycone are just so much easier to grip and throw. They are both so much less nose angle sensitive, and the Eagle refuses to get flipped hard. It might bank to right an a soft anheyser, but will not flip.

The CE Orcs either flip or heyser. Not self correcting like the Eagle.

I am taking the Orcs out of my bag and putting in two Eagles. I Will keep the Surges for kicks. I think I will just throw Eagles and Cyclones for a while.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat May 06, 2006 6:17 pm

Got my first ace today and banged out another...

Snapping is good.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat May 06, 2006 7:26 pm

im geussing part of that snap is a smoother release huh ;-)

Today must just be a ace, or near ace day. I had two bounce outs, one was an s sabre this morning when it was nice, hit the wrong side of the chains on a 375' downhill, and then the other was a 315' with a z pred, into about a 35 mph wind knife hyzer hit the bottom of the basket (on the inside) and bounced up and out, it was crazy to watch like how did that not stay in there. It probably hit the ring that holds the chains togeather at the bottom (discatcher) I have puts hit that ring and bounce out, so its understadable.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun May 07, 2006 8:11 am

Finishing the snap is more directionally precise. It also produces more spin, which makes the disc hold the line better.

In general, the bent arm snap release is more accurate.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Sun May 07, 2006 12:18 pm

you'll find with the faster discs you will likely need to use a longer reach back to increase the base launch velocity to get significantly greater carry than slower drivers.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun May 07, 2006 8:00 pm

Blake_T wrote:you'll find with the faster discs you will likely need to use a longer reach back to increase the base launch velocity to get significantly greater carry than slower drivers.

Increasing pull back is not a high priority right now, as I plan on staying right where I am for a while, and not rushing. The emphasis is on snap practice right now. When I increase pull, it just screws up my timing and form.

I did throw my Surge and Wraiths further than the DX Eagle, but only on occasion. The Eagle is much more consistent, MUCH less nose angle sensitive, and much easier to grip. The DX Eagle has a very nice glide.

I have no doubt I could pick up a DX Wraith and pick up 50', but hey, I am throwing far enough to play pretty much any course I go to now with "slow" drivers. I am throwing Cyclones and Eagles further than I was throwing Wraiths two months ago, and I know where they are going, and how to grip them, and I do not have the occassional pop up or shank.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Hey kids??

Postby Denver Discer » Sun May 07, 2006 10:09 pm

Where can I find this snap article I looked around a little and couldn't find it....can someone just point me to it??
Thanks
Scott
Denver Discer
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon May 08, 2006 8:13 am

I was throwing my cyclone about as far as any fast driver this weekend. Someone else finally has the same mentality that I do. I don't super distance to play most courses.

For my 9 hole course, throwing 200 ft gets you through a few strokes under (unless you can't aim).
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique