Video footage: Iowa pro Mike Robinson

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:36 pm

Hey Iowa DG

Make mike do a video of crushing a few to shut Aaron up!!! :lol:

Mike can crush. Crush. Mike has fast twitch in ample amounts...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:52 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:Hey Iowa DG

Make mike do a video of crushing a few to shut Aaron up!!! :lol:

Mike can crush. Crush. Mike has fast twitch in ample amounts...

You ain't lyin.

I suspect Mike's too busy actually competing to be out making Uncle Rico videos.

:lol:

Anyone who has seen him throw in person knows he has nothing to prove. We filmed in a very big field, at least 500' across towards the treeline, and he had to position to throw diagonally because it isn't enough space when he really opens up. I'll post a separate real-time video so you can hear some truly sickening snap.

Good times. Disc golf videos are a blast.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:01 pm

haha.

my fav mike distance quote: "let's see you throw a champ whippet that far"

after he unloaded his bag 430'+ and then his last disc only went like 380' and someone was like "that one didn't go very far."
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby black udder » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:54 pm

crazy - with only a few exceptions, it didn't look like he was throwing hard. As Blake said - smooth usually means looking effortless.

Some great video, too. I'd like to see more of your videos, you seem to have some great equipment for filming DG.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:58 pm

As Blake said - smooth usually means looking effortless.

isn't that like the definition of smooth?

if i recall, i said something more along the lines of "if the throw appears effortless it means they are accelerating."
Blake_T

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:05 pm

black udder wrote:crazy - with only a few exceptions, it didn't look like he was throwing hard. As Blake said - smooth usually means looking effortless.

Some great video, too. I'd like to see more of your videos, you seem to have some great equipment for filming DG.

My brother's a video professional and donated his time. I had to sort of twist his arm to help, he's not into fetishizing gear, but he sees the appeal and utility of variable frame rate video for disc golf. My dream would be to get 3-camera HD coverage of a Worlds final nine, but of course that's a pipe dream. It's on the "To-do" list right above "Become expert flint knapper." :D
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby cmlasley » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:42 pm

IowaDiscGolf wrote: My dream would be to get 3-camera HD coverage of a Worlds final nine, but of course that's a pipe dream. It's on the "To-do" list right above "Become expert flint knapper." :D

You guys need to shoot me so I can see what I'm doing wrong. My camera sucks for this stuff. The last thing you see is the plant.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:46 pm

You guys need to shoot me so I can see what I'm doing wrong.

you mean with a camera right? :P
Blake_T

Postby cmlasley » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:47 pm

I was thinking more like an out of body experience.

Yes, film me.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:03 pm

First things first, Luke that footage is awesome. Would it be possible to get that on a DVD or something?

Second, I wasn't throwing for distance, mostly control shots. I think Luke did get some footage of a few bombs...dont' know if it came out or not.

Aaron, I'll be at Worlds, USDGC, and Players Cup...

One last thing, Luke..you're gonna bring a video camera to the Team Tournament this weekend, right? If you're willing to shoot it, I'll throw a few out there.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby black udder » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:22 pm

Blake_T wrote:
As Blake said - smooth usually means looking effortless.

isn't that like the definition of smooth?

if i recall, i said something more along the lines of "if the throw appears effortless it means they are accelerating."

It's my passive-aggressive means of forcing you to post. I mis-quote you, frequently. I leave it for you to read all the posts just to find them, and then to correct them. Thus, wrenching even more of your precious knowledge from you. :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:23 pm

Sweet, Ill be none of those places and hope you realize I was joking in my previous posts. 8) No doubt you could destroy me on the course since I cant hit a 15' putt half the time... My distance is not at all controlled either. So now that's out of the way, Ive been really digging not dragging my left foot and feel like it helps me clear my hips. It is also much easier on the shoes. Have you experimented with this? If not, you might like it.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:43 pm

Aaron_D wrote:Sweet, Ill be none of those places and hope you realize I was joking in my previous posts. 8) No doubt you could destroy me on the course since I cant hit a 15' putt half the time..

It's all good...the 15's get me too.

So now that's out of the way, Ive been really digging not dragging my left foot and feel like it helps me clear my hips. It is also much easier on the shoes. Have you experimented with this? If not, you might like it.

Tell you the truth, I hardly ever think about how I throw when I do. I don't know anything about "clearing hips" or "power zones" all that stuff just confuses the hell out of me. I just get on the tee and throw. I don't think I drag my foot all the time, I never noticed any wear on the toes of my shoes. I really couldn't tell you why I was doing it then.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:52 pm

I never noticed any wear on the toes of my shoes

If you dragged your foot, you would definitely notice wear on your shoes.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:03 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:First things first, Luke that footage is awesome. Would it be possible to get that on a DVD or something?

Second, I wasn't throwing for distance, mostly control shots. I think Luke did get some footage of a few bombs...dont' know if it came out or not.

Aaron, I'll be at Worlds, USDGC, and Players Cup...

One last thing, Luke..you're gonna bring a video camera to the Team Tournament this weekend, right? If you're willing to shoot it, I'll throw a few out there.

Mike, I'll try to bring a camera but (A.) it won't be a variable-frame rate HD cam, it'll just be a mini-DV camcorder, and (B.) I doubt we'll have time to get non-tourney throwing footage, but if it happens, it happens, I can't rule it out. I'm agreeable.

If you're in a final, you can bet I'll get footage of that (so don't miss any 15s!)
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Technique