Video footage: Iowa pro Mike Robinson

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:06 pm

PS Mike I'll try to get it to you on DVD, as soon as I figure out how. (I'm new to Macs and FCP, on my own to do this thing.)
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:14 am

Postby Timko » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:57 am

IowaDiscGolf wrote:
dflaschiii wrote:I randomly played a round with that guy a few years back at Turkey Creek and it was very, very humbling.


That's Chris. I think it's the forehand practice rollers he throws between every pad, nailing the trash can. BOOM!

:wink:


Luke, I assume you're referring to me with the forehand roller thing. If you REALLY want humbled, play that course with Mike.

Things I've seen Mike do at Turkey Creek (for those who have played it).
---
Park hole 4 on the right with a beat SE TL roller.
Park hole 7 short tee, long pin with a forehand.
Park hole 8 with a hyzer shot over tee 9. With a Champ Shark.
And my favorite: Get up for a putt on hole 15 on the left. He was past the tree on the left, 50 ft out. Oh, did I forget to mention he was at the long tee? :shock: By far the longest tee shot I've ever seen from there.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth
User avatar
 
Posts: 7692
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: KCMO

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:28 am

Furthur wrote:Things I've seen Mike do at Turkey Creek (for those who have played it). Park hole 4 on the right with a beat SE TL roller.


WTF.

Furthur wrote:Park hole 7 short tee, long pin with a forehand.


Ouch.

Furthur wrote:Park hole 8 with a hyzer shot over tee 9. With a Champ Shark.


Well, I HAVE seen Harper do the same with his big bead...so I guess that's still freakish.

Furthur wrote:And my favorite: Get up for a putt on hole 15 on the left. He was past the tree on the left, 50 ft out. Oh, did I forget to mention he was at the long tee? :shock: By far the longest tee shot I've ever seen from there.


WTF. Are we talking about the same hole?
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:14 am

Postby Timko » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:34 am

IowaDiscGolf wrote:
Furthur wrote:Park hole 8 with a hyzer shot over tee 9. With a Champ Shark.


Well, I HAVE seen Harper do the same with his big bead...so I guess that's still freakish.


Harper threw a hyzer on 8 over 9's teepad with a BB Aviar? Man, that's pretty big. Come to think of it, I'm sure Mike could do it with a wizard.

Oh, Luke, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get some video of Harper throwing some Rocs and Aviars. For those who haven't met him, he's a master with 400' of Roc power.

IowaDiscGolf wrote:
Furthur wrote:And my favorite: Get up for a putt on hole 15 on the left. He was past the tree on the left, 50 ft out. Oh, did I forget to mention he was at the long tee? :shock: By far the longest tee shot I've ever seen from there.


WTF. Are we talking about the same hole?


It was discusting. Seriously.

There was a round where he had just gotten a new Star TeeRex (I think that's what he thew on 7 as mentioned above), and we were discussing throwing a forehand flex shot at the long right pin on 15 from the short pad. He then proceeds to overthrow it by 40'.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth
User avatar
 
Posts: 7692
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: KCMO

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:47 am

Harper throws a big bead aviar in a huge hyzer, it flies in a way that defies imagination and never breaks out of the hyzer. It's incredible power + mystical control. Haven't you seen him throw his KC Pro Roc to the pin on #2 at Turkey? Huge hyzer, never flattens.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:14 am

Postby Timko » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:54 am

Jeff and I were setting up for the Peninsula Park Open last year, laying out some temp holes that we never ended up using in case of flooding. The one in particular that blew me away was from the middle of 15's fairway to the right pin of 16. To give a picture to those who haven't seen this hole, it's 395 with about 350 of waist high rough to clear to get to the other fairway if throwing straight to the fairway. There are trees along the right side, with the pin tucked in an alacove on the right. This is about 370' to clear the rough.

With a wind coming off the river (l/r), he CRUSHES a turnover that lands 10' from the pin with a roc.

Granted, I remember the 1st day we put pins in, he was on the long tee of 18 shooting at the short pin (400', level), and shouts to those around the pin "Aviar from the long tee!" He threw it in the circle.

I personally think he's got the sickest mechanics of anyone I've ever seen play.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth
User avatar
 
Posts: 7692
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: KCMO

Postby Timko » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:55 am

IowaDiscGolf wrote:Haven't you seen him throw his KC Pro Roc to the pin on #2 at Turkey? Huge hyzer, never flattens.


The PERFECT blance of speed and spin.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth
User avatar
 
Posts: 7692
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: KCMO

Postby BLURR » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:48 am

MDR can absolutely crush. He will be breaking the 600' mark one of these days I have a suspicion, if he hasn't already. He has definitely gotten a lot smoother since he appeared on the disc golf scene. I remember playing around with him back in 05 I think at the challenge or the open. And he could bomb even then. Now...if he could only learn how to putt, he would be a top level player for sure.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler
User avatar
 
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:14 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA
Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:08 am

IowaDiscGolf wrote:PS Mike I'll try to get it to you on DVD, as soon as I figure out how. (I'm new to Macs and FCP, on my own to do this thing.)


There are lots of us interested in seeing these clips so it would make sense to use a free file sharing site on the Internet. Haven't used any so don't know which would work best. Anyone have recommendations?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11240
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby black udder » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:53 am

I thought Macs were easy? :P

I'd love to see any footage you could snag of some of these other players. Always fun to see great players and shots.
black udder
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4857
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Richmond, VA
Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:36 am

black udder wrote:I thought Macs were easy? :P

I'd love to see any footage you could snag of some of these other players. Always fun to see great players and shots.


You're talking to someone who doesn't get involved in the Mac vs. PC debate. I let the REAL nerds duke it out on behalf of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. :P
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:14 am

Re: Video footage: Iowa pro Mike Robinson

Postby Eric O » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:17 am

IowaDiscGolf wrote:http://youtube.com/watch?v=X08-tc6Kgkw

Originally the plan was to collect enough footage for a bonafide driving clinic video, but alas the best laid plans...long story short, not enough footage. ANYWAY.

Hope you enjoy the footage, I can see some things I could be doing better to get more "D."
Very nice couple minutes of footage. It's mesmerizing watching people throw so smoothly.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Postby BLURR » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:30 pm

I agree about getting some footage of Harper throwing. He is also Mr. Smooth Throwing motion.

I remember the Madrid tournament when I first met him. The temp hole that plays backstop to backstop...400 feet on the dot. We all throw our drivers and come up about 25 short. Harper steps up with his Roc...throws it past the basket and into the backstop. Next warm up throw...he says...I got one of these Wraiths the other day when they came out. He proceeds to step and smooth one about 150 around and past the backstop. For a Master...the boy can crush. It's funny to watch him out drive some of the local pro's with his roc.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler
User avatar
 
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:14 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA
Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:53 am

MDR_3000 wrote:Tell you the truth, I hardly ever think about how I throw when I do. I don't know anything about "clearing hips" or "power zones" all that stuff just confuses the hell out of me. I just get on the tee and throw.


...and Mike makes my previous point for me...

this also sheds some light on the idea that the best athletes do not necessarily make good coaches. Many are not technical, and do not analyze their own technique.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:46 pm
Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby dflaschiii » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:46 pm

Furthur wrote:
IowaDiscGolf wrote:
dflaschiii wrote:I randomly played a round with that guy a few years back at Turkey Creek and it was very, very humbling.


That's Chris. I think it's the forehand practice rollers he throws between every pad, nailing the trash can. BOOM!

:wink:


Luke, I assume you're referring to me with the forehand roller thing. If you REALLY want humbled, play that course with Mike.

Things I've seen Mike do at Turkey Creek (for those who have played it).
---
Park hole 4 on the right with a beat SE TL roller.
Park hole 7 short tee, long pin with a forehand.
Park hole 8 with a hyzer shot over tee 9. With a Champ Shark.
And my favorite: Get up for a putt on hole 15 on the left. He was past the tree on the left, 50 ft out. Oh, did I forget to mention he was at the long tee? :shock: By far the longest tee shot I've ever seen from there.


Parking 4 under any circumstances is sick, is that roller hitting the ground after the little tunnel or before it? 50ft away from long tee on 15 is simply amazing. Wonder what disc he used for that? There is just as much, if not more fairway AFTER the turn on that hole than there is before it, plus the whole thing is uphill. The power is ridiculous, but the power after the turn is what baffles me. I've done the same things on 7 and 8, but with a Shark is pretty impressive.

When I played a casual round with him, I asked for some tips because he was pretty much blowing my mind with his Teebird shots and he said something like, "Uh, just throw it harder." Haha, right. But I learned quite a bit just watching what he was doing and what discs he was using.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:54 pm
Location: Reno, NV

PreviousNext

Return to Technique

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest