Video footage: Iowa pro Mike Robinson

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby masterbeato » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:32 pm

I haven't heard that song in the video in years, I forgot what it is. Could anybody tell me please? it's really bothering me.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby cmlasley » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:50 pm

masterbeato wrote:I haven't heard that song in the video in years, I forgot what it is. Could anybody tell me please? it's really bothering me.

Chariots of Fire?
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby masterbeato » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:52 pm

yep that's it, thanks man..lmao
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby JR » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:37 am

cmlasley wrote:
masterbeato wrote:I haven't heard that song in the video in years, I forgot what it is. Could anybody tell me please? it's really bothering me.

Chariots of Fire?

Yes, Vangelis got an Oscar for best movie title song or however it's named for that song in a movie of the same name.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby MDR_3000 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:01 pm

dflaschiii wrote:
Parking 4 under any circumstances is sick, is that roller hitting the ground after the little tunnel or before it?

I hit before the tunnel, have it bend left as it stands up and bends to the right as it finishes...I don't do this all the time, but when I get one just right it usually gives me a putt.

50ft away from long tee on 15 is simply amazing. Wonder what disc he used for that?

good question..don't remember.

When I played a casual round with him, I asked for some tips because he was pretty much blowing my mind with his Teebird shots and he said something like, "Uh, just throw it harder." Haha, right. But I learned quite a bit just watching what he was doing and what discs he was using.

I hope I didn't come off as a dick...I just don't know how to give instruction on throwing.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:14 pm

If a throw feels and looks good and smooth and consistent, then the results are usually the same. If it feels awkward and fruitless, then the result is usually the same.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby black udder » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:04 pm

IowaDiscGolf wrote:If a throw feels and looks good and smooth and consistent, then the results are usually the same. If it feels awkward and fruitless, then the result is usually the same.

Only caveat I believe is that if you don't know how to throw properly, many movements would feel uncomfortable until you are used to them. I do believe that typically, the smooth throws appear to be the best ones. Just a matter of getting the mechanics down through repetition until they are comfortable and you can perform the actions easily.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Timko » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:16 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:
dflaschiii wrote:
50ft away from long tee on 15 is simply amazing. Wonder what disc he used for that?

Mike, you threw a new TeeRex (don't remember if it was an X or not). The thing with that line is you don't have to bend it as far as you think you do if you can keep it close to the tree on the left when turning the 1st corner from the long tee. The fairway opens a lot to the right after that, and something with a lot of low speed fade (like the Rex) can skip up to the tree at the 2nd turn.

Either way, it was a sick shot. Mike, are we going to see you down here for the Wide Open?
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby MDR_3000 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:02 am

Furthur wrote:
MDR_3000 wrote:
dflaschiii wrote:

Mike, you threw a new TeeRex (don't remember if it was an X or not). The thing with that line is you don't have to bend it as far as you think you do if you can keep it close to the tree on the left when turning the 1st corner from the long tee. The fairway opens a lot to the right after that, and something with a lot of low speed fade (like the Rex) can skip up to the tree at the 2nd turn.

Either way, it was a sick shot. Mike, are we going to see you down here for the Wide Open?

Indeed.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby Timko » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:18 am

MDR_3000 wrote:
Furthur wrote:
MDR_3000 wrote:
dflaschiii wrote:

Indeed.

I think I remember you saying that you've never played Blue Valley. I think it's a course you'll enjoy quite a bit.
Timko

Re: Video footage: Iowa pro Mike Robinson

Postby jnecessary » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:32 am

Holy necro post batman...

But anyways, in the Weekend at the Rez tournament a few weeks back lefty Chad Nelson crushed a boss to within 5' of the long right pin on 4 at Turkey Creek..air shot. I think it plays 459' or 449' with a low ceiling the last 100+ ft.

Although this thread is a year since being posted...I should talk Harper into some video, he always says he busts out the aces when someone is filming, he might be down.
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Timko » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:58 am

jnecessary wrote:Holy necro post batman...

But anyways, in the Weekend at the Rez tournament a few weeks back lefty Chad Nelson crushed a boss to within 5' of the long right pin on 4 at Turkey Creek..air shot. I think it plays 459' or 449' with a low ceiling the last 100+ ft.

Although this thread is a year since being posted...I should talk Harper into some video, he always says he busts out the aces when someone is filming, he might be down.

Harper has one of the best looking throws I've ever seen. So rhythmic, and so much power transferred to the disc.

As for that shot at Turkey; that's pretty nasty. I assume, since he's a lefty, that we're talking about the long right pin?
Timko

Postby jnecessary » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:18 am

Yep, it was a lazer hyzer flip 12-15' apex at the most.
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby cmlasley » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:36 am

Phew. If I was lefty, I'd throw a big hyzer over the road, never get back through, and take a 4.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby jnecessary » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:55 am

cmlasley wrote:Phew. If I was lefty, I'd throw a big hyzer over the road, never get back through, and take a 4.

haha, that is what was so impressive with Chad's drive, it was a low line drive right at down the right side gap.
--My PDGA--My Trade List
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Previous

Return to Technique